Adding Payload Section to Warlock — Rail Button Position?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I want to add a removable payload section to my existing Warlock. LOC Precision sells a very affordable one that would add 30” to the length of the rocket (or I could have it cut down to a shorter size if I wanted). I’d like to be able to fly the rocket in its normal stock configuration without the payload section, and also be able to add in the payload section to fly it in the longer configuration when I want to loft a platoon of monkey paratroopers or other cargo/passengers.;)

My question is: What should I do about rail guides if I add the payload section?

In stock configuration, the rocket is 52” long, and the forward rail button is about 15” from the aft end. That’s close to the CG in stock configuration. If I add a full-length 30” payload section, the rocket will be 82”. The CG will definitely move forward when I use the payload section, especially if there’s anything in it. Just the length of the rocket alone seems like it might put some torque on the existing buttons if they are only separated by 15”.

I could relocate the forward button about 10-7” forward from the existing position (depending on how long the shoulder the payload section would need to be). The forward button would be between 22” and 25” from the aft end on an 82” rocket. Would that be enough? Would it cause a problem when flying in short configuration without the payload?

Would it make sense to leave the booster section buttons where they are and add a button or 2 to the payload section itself? Getting them aligned when loading on the rail might be a bit of a pain.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I'd leave it alone. So in the long configuration the forward guide is probably going to be what...around 6-8" behind the CP? Who cares? I usually try to get my forward buttons close to the CP but it doesn't always work out that way and I don't worry about it.

The ND rocket team almost always has their forward rail guide well behind the CP and it never seems to negatively affect the overall flight and they fly L's every year.

Thanks guys. I guess I won't worry about it right now. I can build the payload section and then balance it for the CG after the fact. If I need any more support for the longer rocket, I think I'd prefer to add a button to the payload section itself, but I'll see how far the CG moves first.

I know this is totally off topic but how did you get those graphics on there? Those look great.

I'm sure Eric will fill you in on the details. But I happen to know that the monkey graphics on the booster are from Sitckershock and were custom made for the famous Mass Monkey Loft event at LDRS 37 in May.

That is correct, it is a printed wrap from stickershock23. And the amazing 5 minutes effort pumpkin was done by me...

I’ve rebuilt mine 3 times now. It’s been longer & now shorter than stock and have always left rail buttons where they were originally placed, about 12” from aft end.

I built a PML 4" Endeavour and made it zipperless style. So the best place to mount the rail buttons were on the bottom and top CR of the lowest section. The buttons were only 12" apart on a 70" tall rocket. Never had any problems. Just make sure the buttons are anchored well.

Back