Adapter for 54MM in 98MM host question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to finish my LOC K-Load this year. It has a 98MM host to be fitted with an Aeropack retainer. I have the adapter to use 75mm....does anyone know how I can use 54MM in this thing? A J800 or K550 are plenty of motor for this thing at a small venue.

TIA

Aero Pack adapters are said to be "nestable", meaning they can be combined to neck down the motor tube 2 or more steps. They're an absolutely first-class, American-made product, reminiscent of Maglite flashlights, but pricey. I use them in every rocket I build.

Good skies,

GlueckAuf

1619997331083.png

Aero Pack adapters are said to be "nestable", meaning they can be combined to neck down the motor tube 2 or more steps. They're an absolutely first-class, American-made product, reminiscent of Maglite flashlights, but pricey. I use them in every rocket I build.

Good skies,

GlueckAuf

View attachment 462608

The one thing Aeropack adaptors can’t do is nest down from 98 down to 54. You can adapt down to 75. The 98 to 75 and 75 down to 54 use a front clamp style spacer. Your best bet would be to use a 54mmt with 98mm centering rings and a thrust ring on the bottom.

The one thing Aeropack adaptors can’t do is nest down from 98 down to 54. You can adapt down to 75. The 98 to 75 and 75 down to 54 use a front clamp style spacer. Your best bet would be to use a 54mmt with 98mm centering rings and a thrust ring on the bottom.
+1 . Also be aware that Aeropack 75mm to 54mm Motor adaptors aren't compatible with 75mm Giant Leap Slimline retainers. Just mentioning this in case you think you might be able to mix and match vendor adaptors. Some things work (like an Aeropack 54mm to 38mm adaptor can fit a GLR 75mm slimline retainer) but I'd recommend dry fitting everything on the bench to ensure your retention plan will work in practice.

The Aero Pack A5475 adapter will nest into an A7598 adapter so that a 54mm motor can be flown in rockets with RA98 motor retainers.
The A5475 adapter ring is slid down the motor and against the forward side the aft closure. The A7598 adapter ring fits over the A5475 adapter ring. The A5475 upper centering ring clamps over the forward end the motor and the A7598 centering ring clamps over the A5475 centering ring. This assembly is slid into the RA98 retainer and motor tube. The A5475 spacer ring sits on the bottom end of the motor's aft closure. The A7598 spacer ring fits over the A5475 spacer ring. The RA98 cap threads down to hold the A7598 spacer ring that is holding the A5475 spacer ring that is holding the 54mm motor from moving aft.

Aero Pack motor retainers and motor adapters are available from Madcow Rocketry.

Regards,
Bob Mosley

The Aero Pack A5475 adapter will nest into an A7598 adapter so that a 54mm motor can be flown in rockets with RA98 motor retainers.
The A5475 adapter ring is slid down the motor and against the forward side the aft closure. The A7598 adapter ring fits over the A5475 adapter ring. The A5475 upper centering ring clamps over the forward end the motor and the A7598 centering ring clamps over the A5475 centering ring. This assembly is slid into the RA98 retainer and motor tube. The A5475 spacer ring sits on the bottom end of the motor's aft closure. The A7598 spacer ring fits over the A5475 spacer ring. The RA98 cap threads down to hold the A7598 spacer ring that is holding the A5475 spacer ring that is holding the 54mm motor from moving aft.

Aero Pack motor retainers and motor adapters are available from Madcow Rocketry.

Regards,
Bob Mosley
Interesting. I always thought something like this *should* work, but I’ve never tried it. Good to know the manufacturer endorses this.

Regards,
Bob Mosley
Interesting. I always thought something like this *should* work, but I’ve never tried it. Good to know the manufacturer endorses this.

Today I was this many years old when I learned… The worst part is I have both sets, but never tried to nest them. Never would have guessed that the 98-75 ring had enough spring to go down to the diameter of the 75-54 ring. Cool.

Of course they are, I have done it put the 75mm ring on the 54mm ring. Look up Scott Bowman on Facebook, he has a video of him doing it. I have seen it but I have no Idea where it might be.

Of course they are, I have done it put the 75mm ring on the 54mm ring. Look up Scott Bowman on Facebook, he has a video of him doing it. I have seen it but I have no Idea where it might be.

Yup. See post above yours. Learn something every day.

Back