54mm to 98mm adapter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
When nesting Aero Pack retainers, is it okay to have the casing only attached at the retainer end or does the casing need to be supported further up? The 75mm and 98mm adapters come with a metal centering ring for that purpose. But what about going 54mm to 98mm? It would not be hard to have a 54mm motor mount with a 98mm centering ring on it that just slides on.
IMG_7419.JPG
IMG_7420.JPG

I have a 54 to 98 and the centering ring is what I use, a short section of 54mm MMT in a 98mm CR then use a muffler/pipe clamp (screw tightening metal type) or tape to keep if from sliding on the motor case. Probably not necessary for the shorter motors but, I do like it for the longer cases like the L1000W. My retainer is not a Aeropack though, its a custom job by myself.

This is why I use my GLR 75mm to 54mm motor adapter and then seat the Aeropack 38mm to 54mm adapter inside of that.

Since it's all Aeropac parts, don't you just 'Russian nesting doll' them? 54 motor with 54-75 ring, then 98 ring clamped over 75 ring? Not the lightest solution, but I believe that's how they intend them to work.
-Ken

Since it's all Aeropac parts, don't you just 'Russian nesting doll' them? 54 motor with 54-75 ring, then 98 ring clamped over 75 ring? Not the lightest solution, but I believe that's how they intend them to work.
-Ken
Sorry, good point. I did this as I was using a GLR Slimline 75mm retainer on the rocket and the Aeropack 75mm to 54mm adapter doesn't work with those retainers. Apologies for the confusion.

Back