Academy for Science and Design Spring session 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we've begun our Spring session at ASD! The advanced class jumped from4 (winter session) to 11! Good stuff! Also, we have 13 in the beginner class.

We have 8 weeks, which includes 2 launch dates (scheduled launch and a rain date). Whichever date isn't used to fly, we will meet and talk rockets :)

It is my hope that we get the beginner kits done early enough that we have 2 weeks for painting.

The beginners meet for 45 min, once a week. The advanced class meet for 75 min, once a week.

Beginners are building a new design called "Down the Tubes" (see pix) and the advanced classics building the famed A.C.M.E.Spitfire! It's gonna be a hoot!

Here are some pix. I have the photo albums posted and will do my best to keep them updated, week to week.

Enjoy!

image-1721066281.jpg

image-4213394243.jpg

image-3164064461.jpg

image-36998511.jpg

Jim,

This has probably been said before, but you deserve a heartfelt "Thank You" for all you do in mentoring these young minds in rocketeering. All you do for this hobby should earn you a place among the likes of Vern Estes and G. Harry Stine.

If ever was built a "Rocketry Hall of Fame" (not in Cleveland please....) you would definitely have a place there!

G.D.

Well, thank you :) I'm but one of many out there working with kids like this. The secret? We Know how much fun it is! Problem is, Kathy has figured that out too. Now when I grab my range box and tell her I'm off to "work" she says "yeah, right"... LOL

The beginner class will begin cutting and attaching fins on Thursday. Yesterday the advanced class finished cutting the tubes for the A.C.M.E. Spitfire, formed the base shroud and began attaching rings to the central tube. We are about 1/2 class behind what I wanted, but we're still in good shape. I am simply amazed with how well they are all doing with this kit!

Hope to have new pix posted at the end of the week, so keep watch!
Jim

More fun this past week!

The beginners got their first taste with cutting fins (simple rectangles) and the advanced group got all the tube cutting done for the A.C.M.E. Spitfire and have begun attaching rings.
Next week we should finish the beginner models so that we have a couple of weeks for painting. For the advanced group I hope to have the bulk of the tube sections attached and most of the fins cut out.

Good stuff!

image-391321202.jpg

image-4046734732.jpg

image-792316917.jpg

image-1441772221.jpg

Well, the beginners began painting their models yesterday and will finish them next week. Meanwhile, the advanced class got all the tubes cut, two'of them attached along with the base shroud. We also got all the fins cut and two or more of them attached as well.

Great stuff! Hope to get pic posted later this weekend, but I will be very busy,so...

Well, we have finished assembly and have launched the beginner kits!

The "Down the Tubes" performed perfectly and we had a great time. It also resulted in my favorite group photo to date.... :)

The advanced class has finished their A.C.M.E. Spitfire kits and we hope to fly them tomorrow afternoon.

They did a great job on a very complex rocket!

The photo album on out site has been updated and is now current. Check it out!

One more day to go then we work on plans for September!

image-3999832547.jpg

WHEW! Man, this advanced class kept me up some nights LOL

bar none, the most complex kit I have done with a youth group, and THREE of them were new to rocketry! Imagine asking a rocketeer what his first kits was and have him answer "the ACME. Spitfire"!

We went 9 for 9 perfect flights! These kids did GOOD! Full photo album of both the advanced and beginner class can be found on our site. Check'em out!

image-282285139.jpg

image-1499331678.jpg

image-2231293970.jpg

Back