About to launch my first Big Bertha in almost 50 years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
As some here may know, I just built my first Big Bertha in almost 50 years, the first one built with my late father. I plan on launching in the morning, from the same fields where I launched with him as a kid. So it has special significance to me. I am getting those pre-flight jitters. Excitement, nervousness, and fun, all rolled up into one. Any last minute advise, or words of encouragement?

Last edited:
(1) Make sure conditions are suitable. Don't fall prey to "go fever".
(2) Start with small motor to test conditions
(3) If you have another rocket to bring with you (e.g. an RTF or something) bring that too, and fly it first. Always bring at least two rockets to a launch.
(4) I don't know what launch controller you'll be using but make sure you have good fresh batteries
(5) HAVE FUN :)

(1) Make sure conditions are suitable. Don't fall prey to "go fever".
(2) Start with small motor to test conditions
(3) If you have another rocket to bring with you (e.g. an RTF or something) bring that too, and fly it first. Always bring at least two rockets to a launch.
(4) I don't know what launch controller you'll be using but make sure you have good fresh batteries
(5) HAVE FUN :)
All very great, and very valid. Just using the stock Estes Electron Beam controller, I always load up with fresh batteries, and carry them in the range box. I plan on using my bread and butter B engine, a 6-4, and plan to move to a C6-5. I am bringing the AstroCam with me as a "pregame" launch, before the main event.

Weather and conditions look to be a "go flight" currently, although New England weather can always be dicey. I plan launch shortly after sunrise, to take advantage of low wind expectations.

Big Bertha has a soft spot in my heart. And it will be a launch dedicated to my late father, who also happened to be a NASA engineer that worked on Apollo 11.

Good luck and enjoy.

Choosing motors for Big Bertha can be "interesting". What you are planning will be great in light winds as long as the model isn't too heavily "improved" with things that add weight. Otherwise you'd want to look at B6-2, C6-3, C12-4FJ.

It sounds like you have some great memories there. My father had no interest in rockets when I was a kid, so it was my thing only. He does tolerate the fact that I have a few motors stashed at his house in Santa Fe even now for use when I visit him (He'll be 93 in April). That makes me wonder if he's ever seen one fly in person.

Good luck and enjoy.

Choosing motors for Big Bertha can be "interesting". What you are planning will be great in light winds as long as the model isn't too heavily "improved" with things that add weight. Otherwise you'd want to look at B6-2, C6-3, C12-4FJ.

It sounds like you have some great memories there. My father had no interest in rockets when I was a kid, so it was my thing only. He does tolerate the fact that I have a few motors stashed at his house in Santa Fe even now for use when I visit him (He'll be 93 in April). That makes me wonder if he's ever seen one fly in person.
The memories are such that I shed happy tears after my first AstroCam a couple of months ago. I could even remember the smell, and the site of recovery wadding popping out of the tube.

Really the only "mod" I have done to Big Bertha is a smaller 15 inch nylon chute. The chutes that Estes provides are historically too large, and every flight I have watched on YouTube seems to coast forever after recovery ejection. So, a little less coasting, and hopefully, a much more direct recovery.

Not sure if anyone else gets emotional before a significant launch. I sure did several times during the build, and no doubt, will be tomorrow morning.

That's a great choice. I've tended to use 15 inch 'chutes in Big Berthas as well. The Semroc Vega, which is the same size (18 inches of BT-60) only uses a 12 inch 'chute and it's been fine.

Again, good luck and have fun!

That's a great choice. I've tended to use 15 inch 'chutes in Big Berthas as well. The Semroc Vega, which is the same size (18 inches of BT-60) only uses a 12 inch 'chute and it's been fine.

Again, good luck and have fun!
Thank you. It may not be the best build in the hobby, but it's my build. And has "I love you, Dad" written on the primer, as a momento, and homage to him and his legacy. It's going to be a fantastic launch.

As some here may know, I just built my first Big Bertha in almost 50 years, the first one built with my late father. I plan on launching in the morning, from the same fields where I launched with him as a kid. So it has special significance to me. I am getting those pre-flight jitters. Excitement, nervousness, and fun, all rolled up into one. Any last minute advise, or words of encouragement?
BB on a C6 is pretty high so large enough field and use a 12 inch chute .I usually stay with a B6 due to my small field...in addition no wind.

Back