a "Woody" rocket? Hang 10...9...8...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
I don't know if this qualifies as an odd rock, but... I took a BT-55 and wrapped it in a pressure-sensitive walnut veneer, sealing it with epoxy (not easy, not fun).

Sandwiched 1/8" balsa between walnut veneer for the tail fins, and lathed a pine nose cone. Sanded everything with 300 grit and spray laquered. Some how, it really looks like copper! The photos stink, it looks way better in person.

I had an allergy attack while I was finishing, and the kids were driving me INSANE so I rushed and royally messed up on the fin fillets. Maybe i'll mount a motor in it, or maybe i'll just start over. This rocket weighs 180g without the motor, mount and chute. I plan to use a 24mm mount for D's and E's. Thanks for lookin.

100_4586.jpg

100_4596.jpg

100_4539.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if this qualifies as an odd rock, but... I took a BT-55 and wrapped it in a pressure-sensitive walnut veneer, sealing it with epoxy (not easy, not fun).

Sandwiched 1/8" balsa between walnut veneer for the tail fins, and lathed a pine nose cone. Sanded everything with 300 grit and spray laquered. Some how, it really looks like copper! The photos stink, it looks way better in person.

I had an allergy attack while I was finishing, and the kids were driving me INSANE so I rushed and royally messed up on the fin fillets. Maybe i'll mount a motor in it, or maybe i'll just start over. This rocket weighs 180g without the motor, mount and chute. I plan to use a 24mm mount for D's and E's. Thanks for lookin.
Blame it on the little guy :rolleyes:Looks nice

I remember seeing a kit for sale on fee-bay a couple years back for an all wood rocket with a retro styling. It was rather ornate and went for a generous price - does anyone know who made them? This reminds me of that, and it's super cool, bra!

:cool: I think you are talking about the Retro Rocket Works "Spitfire" (see EMRR) They made 2 different rockets. I have a Spitfire. Cherrywood 2.75 airframe. A Cherry and Maple segmented nose cone. It had 8 Cherry "ironon veneer decorative panels and wild toothed finlets. It is by far the most wonderful rocket I own. It is 29MM and neverflown. They retailed the Spitfire for around 125.00 - 140.00. They also made a GIRD-X, I have never seen one, or even a picture of one. I think it is a bit smaller. If you have a Gird-X or know someone who does, I will trade the 75MM motor of their choice for it. They are more than cool...

:cool: I think you are talking about the Retro Rocket Works "Spitfire" (see EMRR) They made 2 different rockets. I have a Spitfire. Cherrywood 2.75 airframe. A Cherry and Maple segmented nose cone. It had 8 Cherry "ironon veneer decorative panels and wild toothed finlets. It is by far the most wonderful rocket I own. It is 29MM and neverflown. They retailed the Spitfire for around 125.00 - 140.00. They also made a GIRD-X, I have never seen one, or even a picture of one. I think it is a bit smaller. If you have a Gird-X or know someone who does, I will trade the 75MM motor of their choice for it. They are more than cool...

"Spitfire" does ring a bell, I've kiked myself more than once for not jumping on that one...:mad:

Wow, woody flew better than all my "kit" rockets, and keep in mind wind speed was up to 14mph[YOUTUBE]0cApYJS2b6g[/YOUTUBE]

Back