A funny problem…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, the gravitational attraction is 9.34×10-7 N (just under 1 µN) on the assumptions that 1) we are each point masses, and 2) the mass and distance figures given are accurate to at least three significant digits. However, the first assumption is only valid when the distance between two bodies is much greater than the bodies' sizes; since this is not the case in the problem statement, and exact shapes are not known, the problem is indeterminant. (This is the fundamental reason that "center of mass" and "center of gravity" are not the same thing. When we refer to the CG in our stability calculations, we really should be referring to the CM.) Furthermore, this covers only the gravitational force, while it is quite possible that one of both of us is charged with static electricity to some degree, so the electrostatic force must also be computed, but those charges are not given.

Also, one might reasonably argue that this is still not the whole answer. The question calls for finding "the actual scientific force of attraction". There is a scientific basis for emotional attraction (both romantic and lustful). So while "force" is used somewhat figuratively here, that attraction is both actual and scientific.

Last edited:
Of course, the gravitational attraction is 9.34×10-7 N (just under 1 µN) on the assumptions that 1) we are each point masses, and 2) the mass and distance figures given are accurate to at least three significant digits. However, the first assumption is only valid when the distance between two bodies is much greater than the bodies' sizes; since this is not the case in the problem statement, and exact shapes are not known, the problem is indeterminant. Furthermore, this covers only the gravitational force, while it is quite possible that one of both of us is charged with static electricity to some degree, so the electrostatic force must also be computed, but those charges are not given.

Also, one might reasonably argue that this is still not the whole answer. The question calls for finding "the actual scientific force of attraction". There is a scientific basis for emotional attraction (both romantic and lustful). So while "force" is used somewhat figuratively here, that attraction is both actual and scientific.
Congratulations 🎉🎈🎊🍾 you win the fabulous prize!!!!! The glory of doing my homework for me!!!

Ps I did it already and turned it in so I didn’t cheat and it’s a high school astronomy class so a lot of assumptions.

Feel free to share my "extended answer" with the rest of the class. And if you do, be sure to remind your teacher of the adage "Ask a silly question, you get a silly answer."

sure beats trying to figure out why you need 24 watermelons and 76 peaches....
Of course, the gravitational attraction is 9.34×10-7 N (just under 1 µN) on the assumptions that 1) we are each point masses, and 2) the mass and distance figures given are accurate to at least three significant digits. However, the first assumption is only valid when the distance between two bodies is much greater than the bodies' sizes; since this is not the case in the problem statement, and exact shapes are not known, the problem is indeterminant. (This is the fundamental reason that "center of mass" and "center of gravity" are not the same thing. When we refer to the CG in our stability calculations, we really should be referring to the CM.) Furthermore, this covers only the gravitational force, while it is quite possible that one of both of us is charged with static electricity to some degree, so the electrostatic force must also be computed, but those charges are not given.

Now, what if one of you is flung or tossed or jumped into the situation.. Like, are you both sitting / standing on a frictionless surface? Or are you both average teenagers, and, well, are kinda eager to get ... I think momentum & inertia & collision forces will override the gravitational forces... (they being rendered 'irrelevant' to a body approaching at 10m/s [± 3m/s], on an intercept course, to an assumed stationary [and hopefully receptive] object.....)

Back