75mm minimum diameter IQSY Tomahawk build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scatsob

Reaction score
Well....almost completed. I like seeing what everyone else is doing so I thought Id share one of my projects. Its the Performance kit with a few minor modifications. Here is the whole rocket. The booster section is just long enough for the 75/6400 case:)

This is the nose cone with telemetry sled pulled out. There is actually enough room for two altimeters and the transmitter. It will only be single deployment but I will only fly it on M's at Blackrock and having a Walston makes recovery a snap.

Close up of the bolt-together fincan

I wanted to make it as scale as possible so I made the nose cone attach with 12 countersunk machine screws, just for fun.

Ill post some more pics once its painted.

Very cool! :cool:
I love the fin attachment, good job with the ebay in the nose cone too, with the flush countersunk screws, looks very solid. I hope you're planning to include a GPS tracker in there too, you're gonna need it if you want to ever see it again after the launch!
Please tell us more about your recovery setup. Has to be dual deploy, right? drogue or drogueless? details, man, details! ;)

Thanks for the compliments guys. No GPS....just the good old Walston. And as of right now just single deployment with a relatively small parachute. With the M1315 itll probably be between 25,000 and 30,000 feet so Im not really worried about it going too far. Blackrock is a big place. Im am really looking foreward to launching it on the M650....I love the long burn motors:)

What are you doing for ejection? Slimshot?

BTW, that is awesome. You might even get close to mach 2.

Why SD? Even on a small shute it'll drift for miles. You should consider the chute taimer. ;) Why choose to chase a rocket for miles? (That would make agreat slogan :lol:)

https://www.chutetamer.com/

That chute timer is intriguing, ill have to take a closer look. Has anyone used them for M powered flights? For ejection Ill use the tried and true waterbaloon full of black powder. Its worked so far to 20k and I have heard its good to 30k. Lastly, with the M1315 itll be somewhere between mach 2.1-2.3, probably a little under mach 2 with the M650. Ill get around to making a rocksim file for it at some point.

I do have an old AARD from Blacksky....but I dont think it will fit. Plus I really need it for my N altitude rocket. Wheres that long burn N Gary?:)

It's coming...apparently!

Rumour has it it was demo'ed at a launch.

Hey any chance you could share some insight onto how you made the fincan? Cheers :)

Are you using a D-bag of any sort on the chute?

Ethan

No D-bag, Ive had bad experiences with them in the past. The fincan is aluminum that my dad had rolled by a machinist here in town. He also bent the tabs and then we had to set the can on the rocket with the fins and drill the holes. So far it working great and is not too expensive.

The can itself will be screwed to the airframe with two 4-40 machine screws on each of the four sections.

Painted and almost done. Just need to put on some rail guides and drill a vent hole for the recovery section. Im hoping to make it down the Lucerne next weekend and try my luck on an L850.

Where did you get the 3" fin-attach hardware?
I need a set ASAP!

The hardware was rolled by a local machinist. Im am sure you could find a guy in your area that could do it.

Back