• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

75mm Minimum Diameter Equipment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
I know the Wanted Thread doesn't see a whole bunch of action, but my rocketry team next year will be conducting a student research project.

We are building a 75mm test vehicle that will be measuring the thermodynamic heat distribution of a supersonic launch vehicle. We will be measuring 5 points on the rocket, nose cone, leading edge, trailing edge, static body tube, and base.

All will use thin wired "K" type thermocouples measured at 20 samples per second. We are looking for a increase of about 700-800F and a max velocity of Mach 2.2 . We'll see.

We are looking for donations. As this is a school project we receive ZERO funding, we reach out to local individuals to donate their time and/or money to fund our program.

What we are looking for is anything you may think we find useful.

If you have leftover gear from a similar product let us know.

ALL REASONABLE OFFERS WILL NOT BE TURNED DOWN

Items like:

75mm Carbon Fiber tubing (Any length let me know)
75mm Nose cone (Graphite best, but again let me know)
Sheets of 3/16" G10
Couplers
Bulkheads
Sheets of 3/16" Carbon or G10
Electronics (Specifically Flight Computers, Featherweight Raven, Gwiz HCX, ARTS, RDAS, needs an accelerometer)
CD3 CO2 High Alt. Deployment System
Beeline tracking equipment (Optional)
High Temp Epoxy
Any pertinent small hardware (3/8" Eyebolts, Av-bay equipment)

I would not expect anyone to have any of the above items for free, but if you do have some extra equipment, know that it WILL be used for an educational purpose.

If you would like to trade or sell or give anything you feel would help us out you can contact me by just Pm-ing me directly, email me personally at [email protected], or email our club at [email protected].

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
It appears that you have a very specific list of desires for this project. I would assume that you are less likely to get donations from the average rocketeer. If I were looking for free items, I would look further up the food chain and ask the manufacturers of these items.

Performance Rocketry has offered discounts to people that I know. Maybe if you can get monetary donations you can apply those to tubes. He is also a good source for resin.

I assume that Adrian from Featherweight will discuss options with you for an avionics system, possibly including GPS tracking.

Either you or the project leader (adult) should call the companies with a game plan. That should consist of who is involved, what your goals are and how you plan to achieve them, and when/where you plan to fly this thing. Why you will be successful is another good idea to pitch.

Get them interested in your project, promote their products on forums and with stickers on the rocket and for the most part they will be proud to be a part of an educational experience for HS students.

Rather than asking for donations from the manufacturers, I'd suggest your team engage in fundraising activities, and ask the manufacturers if you can get an educational discount.

Before doing so, I'd suggest having a detailed plan of what you're building, why you need those specific materials, etc.

-Kevin

First off, a K thermocouple will simply not work for this experiment. It's response time is typically way too long. Read about response times at Omega:
"A time constant has been defined as the time required by a sensor to reach 63.2% of a step change in temperature under a specified set of conditions. Five time constants are required for the sensor to approach 100% of the step change value. An exposed junction thermocouple is the fastest responding. Also, the smaller the probe sheath diameter, the faster the response, but the maximum temperature may be lower. Be aware, however, that sometimes the probe sheath cannot withstand the full temperature range of the thermocouple type."
https://www.omega.com/thermocouples.html

Not only that but sometimes thermocouples can take a long time to reach the correct value. I used K's on a high temp composite experiment a while back and to determine the temperature I had to let the thermocouple site for like 40 seconds for ONE sample. I'll be damned if you're going to get 20 ACCURATE samples per second. More than likely you will need to use another method to take temperature. Call up Omega and ask to speak to one of their engineers, they are helpful people and they'll point you to exactly what you need.

What kind of "high temp epoxy" are you using? The only high temp resin that I know of that can legitimately withstand those temperatures is made by Maverick Corporation. https://maverickcorp.com/products.htm
But it's some $5/gram and I believe they have 22kg minimum order or something. I managed to get some samples for my project a while back...Point is that if you plan to go fast enough to get 700-800F your rocket is going to take some damage. There are some people on the forum that have posted pictures before of what happens when they get up to around mach 4 and the epoxy is stripped right off so take that into consideration when designing your rocket.

Otherwise, good luck and keep us up to date!

Rather than asking for donations from the manufacturers, I'd suggest your team engage in fundraising activities, and ask the manufacturers if you can get an educational discount.

What he said. I did a very similar project with my high school back in 2003 (photos here et seq.) and got great support from Loki, Missile Works, Rockethunter, and NASSA, just by asking. Though we got bit by the dynamic stresses of putting a 7700 N-sec blue M in a 3" rocket (the rocket wagged its tail and the coupler failed), it was a great experience, and everyone involved seemed pleased with the results.

Good luck, let me know if you need any help. Where/when is the eventual plan to fly?

What he said. I did a very similar project with my high school back in 2003 (photos here et seq.) and got great support from Loki, Missile Works, Rockethunter, and NASSA, just by asking. Though we got bit by the dynamic stresses of putting a 7700 N-sec blue M in a 3" rocket (the rocket wagged its tail and the coupler failed), it was a great experience, and everyone involved seemed pleased with the results.

Good luck, let me know if you need any help. Where/when is the eventual plan to fly?

Absolutely!

September at ROC since will be under waiver.

I will be contacting vendors very soon, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any of the above items they were looking to sell anyway. (We picked up our casing about a week ago on here, so I know there are people selling gear)

I think you may get a better response if your post said what school you are attending and had a real name associated with it.
I have found when asking for something for nothing if the donor can put a face and location to you it really helps. I have received tens of thousands of dollars in donations for HPR contest prizes.
I would email direct to real manufactures of composites for donations, not just hobby suppliers. I know at one time Arizona state had received so much carbon fiber from Hexcel that the had to store it in the restrooms.

You are planning to hit M-2.2 and stay under the 20k' window at ROC?

Mark

We are from Adolfo Camarillo High School in Camarillo, CA

I will leave it as my first name is Bryce

Yes M2.2 at 17,000ft Rocksim 18,000ft RASAero

if you're using high temp epoxy for the leading edges of fins, i'd suggest using a ceramic. i'm not sure of the name, but i saw a thread about it on the techniques? thread? i think the jist of it was that the ceramic powder could be mixed into epoxy and raise the temp max upto around the same temp, but it does make the epoxy far from strong. it'd be like using paint, you'd have to keep the leading edges and such from being knocked around.

bandman444 said:
We are from Adolfo Camarillo High School in Camarillo, CA

I will leave it as my first name is Bryce

Yes M2.2 at 17,000ft Rocksim 18,000ft RASAero
Really? That seems too low to me. Your design must have a ton of drag.

Crap...your right. I was doing some work to the design last night and changed a few things in RASAero, and low and behold, 28,000ft.

Black Rock here we come...

Just wanted to thank the people that have already contacted us with proposals. If you haven't received anything back please let me know, I have responded to all of the offers now.

Thanks

Bryce

Back