60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesterday a fellow by the name of “Banjo” Mike (and his brother “Clarinet” Richard) came by with a high-end first person view drone and asked to shoot some drone video of our rockets. He put together this video which has my Fugly Duckling III on a 3xE12 cluster and my already destroyed Sputnik exploding yet again on a D12-3. Plus a lot of drone fooling around.

Another great day of flying it was!

I'll be out Thursday late afternoon qualifying the Mercer Island High School ARC team, and may or may not do some flying at the same time (4 PM ish), but if people show to launch, I just may join you.

But for sure I’ll be at the WAC launch next Saturday, for those of you not chasing the eclipse, see you then!

Yesterday a fellow by the name of “Banjo” Mike (and his brother “Clarinet” Richard) came by with a high-end first person view drone and asked to shoot some drone video of our rockets. He put together this video which has my Fugly Duckling III on a 3xE12 cluster and my already destroyed Sputnik exploding yet again on a D12-3. Plus a lot of drone fooling around.

Another great day of flying it was!

I'll be out Thursday late afternoon qualifying the Mercer Island High School ARC team, and may or may not do some flying at the same time (4 PM ish), but if people show to launch, I just may join you.

But for sure I’ll be at the WAC launch next Saturday, for those of you not chasing the eclipse, see you then!

What a great video. Could have had a few more rockets, but we're a biased crowd, I guess.

Hans.

They liked your big Sputnik CATO so well they used it twice.

There's one spot where they buzzed the tARC team I was helping also shown, as well as a little of the horse farm to the north and several passes around the south field, including buzzing people along the parking lot.

Nice images, nice editing. I'm not sure I appreciate some of what else they were doing, both with respect to FAA restrictions and general safety (flying over people who were not involved in what they were doing, for example).

They liked your big Sputnik CATO so well they used it twice.

There's one spot where they buzzed the tARC team I was helping also shown, as well as a little of the horse farm to the north and several passes around the south field, including buzzing people along the parking lot.

Nice images, nice editing. I'm not sure I appreciate some of what else they were doing, both with respect to FAA restrictions and general safety (flying over people who were not involved in what they were doing, for example).
I was not going to comment on their editing or flying abilities. But yes, Mike told me he liked the CATO so much he included it twice.

Friday April 12, 13, 14 at the Evergreen Fair Grounds in Monroe.

NW MODEL HOBBY EXPO​

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100054460839564

Our local NAR section, WAC (Washington Aerospace Club) will have a table there representing our hobby. We are looking for volunteers. If you can help out, please contact James Mooreshire: [email protected]. We will need a couple of people per hour during the show.

Even though there is remarkably little information about this event on line, they do seem to attract a decent crowd - and I probably shouldn't mention this, but I got some good deals at the swap meet there (it's mostly RC, but I got my Aerotech Initiator for $10).

What a great video. Could have had a few more rockets, but we're a biased crowd, I guess.

Hans.
I can't stop watching this. My wife had me play it multiple times for her also. They choreographed the action fairly well to the song's lyrics.

My son and family used to live in Redmond. My granddaughter rode horses, I'm wondering if the nearby stables is where she went.

Hans.

I can't stop watching this. My wife had me play it multiple times for her also. They choreographed the action fairly well to the song's lyrics.

My son and family used to live in Redmond. My granddaughter rode horses, I'm wondering if the nearby stables is where she went.

Hans.
Fun, isn't it? Great choice of music, and I can only imagine how much time he spent lining up the launches with the lyrics. As for the horse farm, yup, entirely possible. They are very nice about letting people in to look for lost rockets.

Saturday is the last WAC launch of the season (darn soccer games!). 11 to 3 at 60 Acres, weather permitting. The weather looks a bit windy and a bit rainy. The WAC board will make a final decision Thursday night.

On Thursday I’m going to be at 60 Acres helping a high school team on their qualification flights for the American Rocketry Challenge. This will be at 4PM. Since I’m going to be there anyway, I’ll be doing a few flights of my own, mostly making sure that certain models won’t be too embarrassing if I fly them with the club on Saturday.

Let me know if are interested in joining me Thursday or Saturday. If the weather looks real real bad on Saturday, I might extend my flight time on Thursday or go again on Friday. Gotta squeeze in what we can before this soccer thing starts up.

Some flights from last weekend at 60 Acres. These are the ones captured by the drone videographer, but from my point of view (and that of the rocket).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i2CSp4QgiYv7RWWTA Still image of Fugly Duckling III in flight

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWfEVwehGAQWkqk76 Fugly Duckling take off video

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EMD25mshpWwVBQF97 Onboard camera video of Fugly Ducking III

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nUKnvfbo5qd2P23K6 Sputnik explosion still image

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UJpmfQwmW7ib6Us67 Sputnik explosion in slo mo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TWeJWCmnBzSokS8p8 Sputnik at ignition pre explosion with smoke starting still image

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3bW5QCTmMLgsTYo9 Fugly Duckling III in flight shortly after launch still image

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qK9Z5xn2fZMTXbBF9 Fugly Duckly III launch in slo mo

The Mercer Island team cancelled today's launch but will try again Friday or Saturday if they can get team members together on short notice. So I won't be going 60 Acres today, but I'm available Friday and Saturday if a team needs me. Of Saturday, the place will be crawling with rocketeers, weather permitting.

Good morning Seattle area rocketeers. My son is interested in building his first model rocket and I’m going to encourage him by building one myself. Being the type of guy who jumps in the deep end I’ve been doing as much research as I can. Looks like 60 acres during the week is a good launch site. Limited to G impulse but are there any guidelines for maximum altitude?

Good morning Seattle area rocketeers. My son is interested in building his first model rocket and I’m going to encourage him by building one myself. Being the type of guy who jumps in the deep end I’ve been doing as much research as I can. Looks like 60 acres during the week is a good launch site. Limited to G impulse but are there any guidelines for maximum altitude?
There’s some discussion a page out for back about regulatory minimums. I usually limit to about 800-1000 feet unless it’s really dead calm, in which case I might go up to 1200-1500. Those guidelines plus cutting spill holes in the chutes should keep your rockets out of the trees, horse farms, river, etc.

The height limit is the river to the west, the horse farm to the north, the houses to the east and the blackberries to the south. And I have rockets in all those locations.

Start with a G and you’ll prolly be sorry.

Last edited:
The next few days are my only chances to fly for a couple weeks. I’m committed to some time here at the scale model show in Monroe this weekend. But if anyone is flying this weekend I’d try to join you. Otherwise, I might fly Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. it looks like the weather may be acceptable.

The next few days are my only chances to fly for a couple weeks. I’m committed to some time here at the scale model show in Monroe this weekend. But if anyone is flying this weekend I’d try to join you. Otherwise, I might fly Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. it looks like the weather may be acceptable.
I told my son I’d take him to the model expo in Monroe this weekend and he’s been asking for a mode rocket. I’ll get him a starter set tomorrow and would of course need to launch it.

Hey Seattle Area Rocketeers – I’m not too good at reading the weather tea leaves, but it looks like some light showers this weekend. Friday might be the best day, then Saturday, Sunday looking a little worse.

I’m open any of those days and willing to take a chance. If you have preferences, let me know, the more the merrier!

I still have some odd rocs to test!

Ken

Ken

Back