60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next WAC Meeting featuring our own @Joel Shepherd

Hello rocketeers!

The countdown is on for our June monthly WAC. We've got some exciting presentations and topics lined up. Also, bring something for show-and-tell or open discussion.

Meeting Details:

Date:
Wednesday, June 5th
Time: 7:00 PM
Location: Red Barn Classroom, Museum of Flight , 9404 E Marginal Way S, Seattle, WA 98108

Virtual Attendance:
For those unable to join us in person, we've set up a dedicated Zoom meeting room to ensure everyone can participate. Use the following details to connect virtually:

Zoom Meeting Details:

Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6368998078?pwd=Mlpkby94K3picHM2ZHJ3amFMd2dQQT09
Meeting ID: 636 899 8078
Passcode: Rockets
Presentation Details:
Astrophotography
In this talk, we'll learn about the technology and techniques used for amateur deep-space astrophotography, make sense of frequently asked questions like "Are those colors real?" and "Did you Photoshop that?", and enjoy some interesting stars, nebula and galaxies photographed from urban Seattle, Pie Town New Mexico, the Hubble Space telescope (Joel's other scope is the Hubble), before concluding with the luckiest shot ever.

Speaker Details:
Joel Shepherd
Joel Shepherd rediscovered astronomy in 2014 and rocketry a couple years later. Rocketry-wise, he launches low- and mid-power rockets, is a big advocate of using electronics to bring them down safely (chute releases and dual deployment), and is going to try electronic staging in the fall. At night, he's gone from star-hopping and observing "gray fuzzies" in Seattle's urban night skies, to remotely operating an observatory in the mountains of New Mexico. His tenure as a software engineer at Amazon.com almost predates Jeff Bezos (who he once shot in the face at close range with Nerf darts).

Other Topics that will be included:
  • Report from the Memorial day weekend National Sport Launch in Alamosa Colorado
  • Flight reports from the May TCR and OROC launches
  • Project update of the WAC Group Project

Show-and-Tell:
Don't forget our Show-and-Tell session! Whether in person or virtually, share your rocketry projects, achievements, or something you are challenged by. Email me at[email protected] with pictures or videos ahead of the meeting or be prepared to share your screen temporarily.

Speakers and topics:
To do you have additional topics or presentations you would like to discuss or present? We are always looking for more speakers and content, please shared your thoughts with[email protected].

Jack Poehlman
WAC Vice President

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

HI All! I'm hoping to fly this Sunday the 9th. On the 8th I'm going to Tacoma for the big Pinball show (what, I'm allowed 2 hobbies, right?) And by Sunday the winds should be gone and the weather OK. The big question is soccer. Maybe we can bribe @Neutronium to do a drive by on Saturday to check out the field.

Washington Youth Rocketry is promoting their summer programs. They claim to be non-profit, I don't know how good their classroom activities are, but last year they had quite a crowd at 60 Acres on their launch day. However, I'm a bit miffed at them because they did not clean up after themselves.

https://www.wayouthrocketry.org/programs?cid=204fb05e-c74d-4a9b-abb2-178117f852f9

But if you have the right age kids, perhaps of interest.

Sunday! Speedway! 400 Fuel Injected Funny Cars! Um, showing my age. But I plan to be at 60 Acres on the 9th, hopefully no soccer, but we'll just have to see.

And on July 4th, there will be an unofficial WAC launch at 60 Acres. Last year it was a great, fun crowd - Joe Bob says check it out.

Sunday! Speedway! 400 Fuel Injected Funny Cars! Um, showing my age. But I plan to be at 60 Acres on the 9th, hopefully no soccer, but we'll just have to see.

And on July 4th, there will be an unofficial WAC launch at 60 Acres. Last year it was a great, fun crowd - Joe Bob says check it out.
We’ll sell you the entire seat but you’ll only need the edge!

I might see if I can make the July 4 one. It’s a long time until Sod Blaster.

We probably won't be up on Sunday (though it's possible). Will see about putting the July 4th gathering on the plan. It's been fun in years past.

I am interested in attending a July 4 launch at 60 Acres. I'll be flying in that morning for an extended visit with family near the park. May just come hang out, may try to bring a rocket or two if I can use somebody's launcher. Assuming I can fit them into my luggage. Guess I should have listened better about not gluing the fin canisters on Estes ARFs...

I am interested in attending a July 4 launch at 60 Acres. I'll be flying in that morning for an extended visit with family near the park. May just come hang out, may try to bring a rocket or two if I can use somebody's launcher. Assuming I can fit them into my luggage. Guess I should have listened better about not gluing the fin canisters on Estes ARFs...
Yes, by all means. Drop by, use may launcher or anyone else’s. Everyone welcome! I’m happy to share engines as well.

You can certainly squeeze in some of your MMX designs... :)

I will have some MMX motors with me if my wife and I participate in this....which we likely will.

So 60 acres had soccer Magnuson Park has Osprey so no flying while they’re nesting and it’s a little bit windy.

Plan on this coming Tuesday at 60 acres I still don’t know if they’re having soccer camp during the day though
You might have one more week for no weekday soccer camp. I think most high schools will be out soon.

We are GO for tomorrow at 60 Acres. I'm going to try to be "early", because gusts are supposed to get pretty strong in the afternoon. And by early, I hope by 11, who knows, maybe magic will happen and I'll get there earlier.

Highlights: @Neutronium and I will drag race our DRMs. And I'll fly my newly restored Estes Aries SST, as well my milk carton and whatever else.

See you there, perhaps.

I’d say you’re right, but we have one thing special: donuts.
OK, let me rephrase that. This is better sailing weather than donut-eating weather, but it's definitely better donut-eating weather than rocket-launching weather. The ideal, of course, would be eating donuts while sailing. Preferably Top Pot donuts.

I will not dispute anyone who says that all weather is good donut-eating weather.

OK, let me rephrase that. This is better sailing weather than donut-eating weather, but it's definitely better donut-eating weather than rocket-launching weather. The ideal, of course, would be eating donuts while sailing. Preferably Top Pot donuts.

I will not dispute anyone who says that all weather is good donut-eating weather.
Got it. So when are you inviting me onto your boat to eat donuts and go sailing? My wife used to be quite an active sailor, but we haven’t been out in years. Heck, decades.

Got it. So when are you inviting me onto your boat to eat donuts and go sailing? My wife used to be quite an active sailor, but we haven’t been out in years. Heck, decades.
I believe in the ironclad rule of not being bankrupted by boats: Borrow, don't own! :D If I make July 4, I'll bring some donuts.

So, far too windy to launch, but @Neutronium and I had a fine time eating donuts and cherries and yakking while clutching our cups and napkins. My next available launch date is June 19th (which, being a Wednesday afternoon the glider club has the south field and they're OK with polite rocketeers), or the 20th, since I'm going to be in that neck of the woods anyway. But it all depends on weather and soccer.

Back