6" Gemini Titan Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built a 6" Skylab Saturn V a few years ago, and recently got the urge to try the Gemini Titan build. But first, I wanted to see if I could make a reasonable (IMHO) copy of the Gemini spacecraft. With some extra Blue Tube pieces I had, plus a couple of unused 6" centering rings (and a piece of 1.5" I.D. pvc pipe) I made a frame for the spacecraft. The bottom 6" dia. Blue Tube will be the top 5" of the Titan rocket. 6" Blue Tube to 98mm B.T. to 1.9" O.D. pvc to 38mm B.T.

I used an online shroud calculator for the dimensions, and a pivoting yardstick to create the three shrouds from white artboard. I also epoxied one layer of fiberglass cloth and placed it on a mylar sheet to cure. I flipped it over and used the three white shroud templates to cut out corresponding fiberglass pieces which are glass-smooth.

I attached the two larger white artboard shrouds together and reinforced inside with some Blue Tube thin concentric rings, and some hobby wood. I epoxied the white shrouds onto the frame, and then epoxied the fiberglass skins onto the two lower shrouds. The top small shroud was simply the fiberglass shroud with some ever-increasing body tube pieces inside for support. All joints were epoxied together.

Winter has come to Ohio, so I may not be able to spray paint it until spring. Found a 1:24 Gemini decal sheet which will help to add some detail. This nosecone, even without the 6" coupler and bulkhead/eye bolt weighs 2 pounds, and the aft end of the pvc pipe could accept ballast/ epoxy if necessary. The proportions of the spacecraft are really close to the real thing, and the piece is rock-solid.

Building the rocket will happen SLOWLY over the next year, if I can be patient enough. Already have a 6" camouflage-painted V2 ready for a spring launch at Midwest Blast 4 at Three Oaks, MI, so I need to slow down a little- one K or L motor launch a year (so says the checkbook).

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

IMG_1895 (wecompress.com).gifIMG_1896.gif

How detailed are you going to make the motor mount? And are you going dual motors, or just a single motor?
I have a Boyce 4" 3D printed Gemini capsule and would like to make a 4" version flying on two 29mm motors (aka a Sheri HR copy), but making the detailed motor mount has me stopped for now...
'

I'm probably going to use a single 54mm motor- K1100 Blue Thunder. I have ordered two stainless steel shot jiggers on the cheap through Ebay to see how they will look as dummy engine bells. The 54mm motor will be between them. I started with the same idea of dual motors, but scrapped it for exactly the same reason you mentioned. I think you can purchase engine bell-shaped motor retainers, but I didn't want to go to that expense.

So, in summation, my rocket will look pretty accurate from 50 feet away, but not so much close up- lol. Best of success with your build! Love to see a photo or two when completed.

I'm probably going to use a single 54mm motor- K1100 Blue Thunder. I have ordered two stainless steel shot jiggers on the cheap through Ebay to see how they will look as dummy engine bells. The 54mm motor will be between them. I started with the same idea of dual motors, but scrapped it for exactly the same reason you mentioned. I think you can purchase engine bell-shaped motor retainers, but I didn't want to go to that expense.

So, in summation, my rocket will look pretty accurate from 50 feet away, but not so much close up- lol. Best of success with your build! Love to see a photo or two when completed.

Well, the way I build, I hope you (and I!!!) are still alive...:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Thanks for the tip about Boyce- I wasn't familiar with them. On my wish list since L3 has always been a 6" Mercury-Redstone, but the capsule/escape tower was the one thing that made me walk past that challenge. Maybe in 2020?

BTW- back to your question of a realistic-looking motor mount. I wonder if you could try a couple of cheap stainless steel shot jiggers from Ebay (about 75 cents each, but from way across the Pacific), drill out the bottoms so they would fit over 29mm motor mount tubes, and then somehow secure them on the MM tube so that the end of each "bell" would be parallel to the 29mm motor nozzle? Not sure how to secure the motors in the tubes, but if you are using DD, maybe securing the motors using the forward plugged ends and eye bolts? Just Blue-Skying..........

Spacecraft and fin section completed and painted on an unusually warm 50 degree day in Ohio. Dual altimeter bay constructed but not painted or fitted with electronics. Polycarbonate fins mechanically fastened with 3/4" wood sections. 54mm motor mount with motor retainer.

Rest of construction and painting will have to wait until spring. I'll contact Stickershock for the lettering and some other details on the rocket. Will add some more detail to the engine nozzle & support configuration- I used stainless steel shot jiggers for the nozzles. Rocket will stand about 83" tall, which is a little "stretched" in relative height compared to the real deal. Probably 20 pounds when completed.

Attachments

• IMG_1905_1.jpg
    IMG_1905_1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 122
Thanks! The Saturn V and the McDonnell Douglas "Delta Clipper" have flown. The V-2 has been rained/mudded out so far this spring. I have purchased the 6" dia. Mercury capsule from Boyce Aerospace- that will probably be my last scale build. Trying to build the 6" dia. rockets so that I can swap out the guts of the electronics bays easily- simply disconnecting and reconnecting the altimeter switches between the rockets.

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

gemini.jpg
My thanks to Mark Hayes aka Stickershock23 for the Gemini capsule details, as well as the Titan's lettering, "rectangles" and "circles". This 75" tall and 6" dia. BlueTube rocket looks pretty close to the real thing. It probably will be launched at next year's Midwest Blast at Three Oaks, MI.

Mike Momenee
TRA#12430 L3

Nice, i think I pioneered stainless shot jiggers on my 7.5" titan II missile several years ago, they work great, yours looks very nice. I also use stickershock wraps for my titan details.

Frank

Back