5.5" Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK... Call me silly for asking this... But will spackle work? :eek:

Im guessing the awnser is "definetly not", but my dad has been suggesting it for a while now, so I am wondering if it might work.... :rolleyes: Im sure it wouldent add any strenth, but to make the finish smoother...??? :confused: Methinks ill try your suggestion, but where do I get "kilz" or those other products.... Does ACE hardware have em? :confused:

Spackle is heavy...and probably not too sandable compared to other stuff...I'd say stay away from it...

Wal Mart is good for Kilz.

If your resin is "easy to sand", I don't want to hear about something that's "hard to sand" in your world! I suppose that I find that resin is more brittle simply because I fly in the desert -- it's low humidity and the ground is really hard. I also bring down my rockets pretty quick to get them back from high altitudes.

Just tellin what I see.

it's easier to sand because there is less to take off, little excess is created by painting with resin

I disagree about resin itself being brittle. I had a peice that a Ubolt was stuck on and it was a pain to break off. I mean I was slamming it with a hammer and it wouldnt come off so I dont know what you mean.

I have used Ready Patch to smooth out some surfaces.

You can fill with high build primers too, I have done it ....takes forever. I see no strength difference,

Ok.... Ill try wally world.... Where do they usually keep it? Near arts&crafts, or modeling, or somewhere else? :confused:

O.k., no offense to anyone, but can we not go into any thread without having a nip at someones idea or start bickering? I no I started one of them but...

Originally posted by Neil
Ok.... Ill try wally world.... Where do they usually keep it? Near arts&crafts, or modeling, or somewhere else? :confused:

It's in the paint section of Wal-Mart but NOT near the spray paint... Wander around to where the gallon cans of paint are. You'll find the Kilz grouped together (gallon cans, quart cans, & spray paint) on its own shelf. With a project the size of your Nike Smoke & see how it's primer that you are going to be sanding off, you may want to consider getting a quart can & a small paint roller. It'll go on faster, make less mess, & be more cost effective!

Originally posted by DPatell
it's easier to sand because there is less to take off, little excess is created by painting with resin

Because there is *less* of it to sand off. It's not necessarily *easy* to sand. If it was easy to sand, I'd be concerned about the strength characteristics.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I disagree about resin itself being brittle. I had a peice that a Ubolt was stuck on and it was a pain to break off. I mean I was slamming it with a hammer and it wouldnt come off so I dont know what you mean.

Exactly. The u-bolt was attached to a bulkhead, right? That would add plywood into the mix. Paint a centering ring with epoxy and it'll be a lot stronger and less brittle, mostly because the wood acts as the reinforcement and will not break as easily when reinforced with resin.

When used properly, I've found that high build primers are not only easy to use (builds up over 6 oz glass in 2-3 coats, with about 20 min dry time in between), it's also less toxic and cleans up with water (or at least Smooth Prime does). Once again, in my experience, resin cracks off on every flight and I end up repainting the rocket. Perhaps it's because I bring my birds down at 20-30 fps instead of 15, and I'm flying on desert playa, but I'm just telling it like I see it.

I hope that no one takes offense to my messages or methods -- I'm just trying to reinforce something that I learned the hard way many, many times and I don't want everyone else to have to deal with. Properly finished, composite rockets are a beautiful thing, and *incredibly* strong and wear-resistant. For me, Smooth Prime works. For others, resin may work. Having tried it both ways, I dare you to try it out with SmoothPrime once -- you may be surprised.

I wouldn't worry about that David,you have plenty of experience..

mabey people should have the confidence to build a high power project before they start it..plan it first , buy it, than build it..

In my opinion you should already know what your doing before you take on a potential dangerous high power build.

It's all good Dave, no offense taken, we've had worse clashes, stupid liberal;)

I think that opposing ideas helps the person building. If your idea is worth fighting over and defending, it must work, right?:p

But I agree entirely with Stymye. It's a hobby of succession. You do some A's-C's, then move into some MPR, then HPR. HPR can be split up, get your cert, then fly a bunch of H's and I's to get a feel for the level. Then J's and K's for your L2, and maybe even an L or 2 to get ready for your L3 flight.

Thats off topic, so back on topic...

I have had good luck using high build primer for small blemishes, it never really filled glass weave. A good combo may be your layer of glass, painting it again with another layer of resin, and then the high build primer for any imperfections that remain.

Works for me, maybe it will work for you. I'm sure Dave's way works too.

Dang, this is paint-on primer?

This might be a silly question, but is there anything in a spray can that I can use to the same effect? I suck at painting stuff on rockets... :(

Kilz is a spray.

The stuff Daveyfire uses is water soluble, so you can spray it with an air brush if you thin it a little bit.

But Lalligood just said it came in gallon cans and to buy a paint roller with it.... :confused:

STOP CONFUSING ME, DANGIT!!!! :D ;) :p

If its a spray, Ill definetly use it... :rolleyes:

Excuse me, Kilz is a spray OR a roll on. Use the spray, it works well. Roll on is good for BIG rockets as it is cheaper and easier to make nice with a roller.

*wimper* *sob*

No way... Me want spray-on. Me no care how much it costs. Me me want spray-on. :D

You havent seen the rockets I tried to brush-paint. They are awful.

OK, I havent tried it for two years, but I really dont want to, not if I can get spray-stuff. :eek:

Originally posted by Neil
*wimper* *sob*

No way... Me want spray-on. Me no care how much it costs. Me me want spray-on. :D

You havent seen the rockets I tried to brush-paint. They are awful.

OK, I havent tried it for two years, but I really dont want to, not if I can get spray-stuff. :eek:

Neil,

I only suggested rolling/brushing the Kilz on for your NS only because I know that you have to fill in the glass weave & then sand it smooth. The spray cans of Kilz cost $4--pretty pricey compared to other spray paints/primers. I would "guesstimate" that you'd need at least 2 cans of the stuff to do the NS. For probably less money (& again, less mess & time), you could get a QUART can & cheap, throwaway roller. Apply it with a roller you don't have to worry about overspray or runs, not to mention I believe someone else also mentioned that it's easier to (re)apply in places where you need to do touch ups...

And remember this is *primer*, not paint... You will be sanding the Kilz smooth & use spray paint for the final glossy coats ;)

You can use (or at the very least, consider using) any of the suggestions here based on our collective experiences or you can do it however you see fit. We're just trying to help & share ideas. :)

Good point... How much does the quart thingy cost?

Should I use this stuff to fill all the weave on the rocket? If I do, will I have to sand the tube beforehand?

Neil:

So in all the primer talk I've lost track of where you are on the Nike Smoke. BTW meet Curtis Turner at LDRS and got my 5.5" Nike Smoke nose cone that he was holding hostage. Of course had to buy the rest of the kit to get it. Now just need to stop drooling and start building. One of these days......

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Survivor

lol... I havent even started building it yet, because the 29MM outboard tubes still havent come yet... :rolleyes: I ordered them on Monday from Commonwealth, so I expect them by the middle of next week at the latest. Then I can start building. Once they come, the rocket will be built within... Lesse... 4 days tops. :D

Originally posted by daveyfire

Exactly. The u-bolt was attached to a bulkhead, right? That would add plywood into the mix. Paint a centering ring with epoxy and it'll be a lot stronger and less brittle, mostly because the wood acts as the reinforcement and will not break as easily when reinforced with resin.
/B]

nope, the wood had ripped off because the ply had come apart, it was solid epoxy

Well, the tubes came today. So I started building the MMT section. Got the outboards cut out in the CRs, and got the whole MMT put together. Got the fin slots widened enough for the fins, but I am having dremmel tool problems, so I cant cut the hatch in the tube yet. :( But once I get a new cutting wheel attatchment, the rocket will be a breeze. The MMT looks really **$% cool, though! :D

I am making a minimum diameter 29MM rocket out of the exess tubing. And then I am considering making a 54MM minimum diameter rocket, but it looks like I would loose it on the first flight, nomatter what I fly it on, so I think ill just save the 54MM tubing I bought... :D And, since i have even more exess 29MM tubing, im just gonna make a few more minimum diamter rockets, cause I am gonna loose the first one on its first flight anyways... :D

I've got Vinny and Tony on speed dial ya know, so you better get some pics up quick!:D :kill:

Got some, but I cant post em... They are on the PC, which doesent have internet at the moment, so I cant post em.

/neil cocks BB gun, locks doors and windows, and prepares for all-out assault by the rocketry community for not posting pictures of his progress

:D

(agnry rocketeers prepare to lay seige to Neils house)

/neil dives out second-story window, and runs like mad into the woods, where he digs a spider-hole and waits out the seige, all the while cursing the cable company because the internet isnt working, preventing him from posting pics, which caused the seige.

:D

/neil is caught, and sentenced to death for failing to present pictures of his rocket project.

:D ;) :p

Neil, do a 75mm motor mount. If you can spring for it/them, do an Aeropack retainer and a 75mm-54 adapter. BIG motor rtange this way.

BUILD IT LIGHT!!! DON'T KILL IT WITH EPOXY!

Nice rocket...

Originally posted by Evil Prince
Neil, do a 75mm motor mount. If you can spring for it/them, do an Aeropack retainer and a 75mm-54 adapter. BIG motor rtange this way.

BUILD IT LIGHT!!! DON'T KILL IT WITH EPOXY!

Nice rocket...

Must be its a bit heavier than the Performance Rocketry one I snagged. Curtis usually supplies a 54 for that one. Should scoot on a K695 or so.

Al
BRS VP

OK, heres my excuse for not posting pictures very fast:

The expanding foam expanded not just itself, but the whole darn fincan... It sealed off all the vent holes I drilled, and kept on going... So I had a HUGE mess on my hands, but I got it all fixed up and good enough to fly. Its all ready to go now. It looks a little ugly without the paint, but once I get a little more sanding done on it, Ill paint it, and itll look a lot nicer. So I was so busy swearing at the foam and fixing the damage, I didnt think to get the pictures on the computer...

Anyways, heres the ones I took.

This one is me with the completed rocket.

Back