4'' to 38mm Tail Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a pretty extreme transition. Looks like both Aeropack and the Giant Leap stuff stop at 4" to 54mm.

I don't really want to drop to 3" dia tubing.

I could use a 54 mm MMT and Aeropack it down to a 38 mm.

Hard one this.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

That would be the standard plastic boattail 3.9 to 1.5 for $23.95

Yeah don't want a boattail. Maybe a 54mm might not be a bad idea. The 38mm Aeropack std mount can hide inside.

I personally have never heard of such a critter so I think you are going to have to make one. Either modify a 4" nose cone to your liking or buy a BIG chunk of balsa and start lathe'in...or rigid insulation foam...or 2 part foam...or whatever. I'm sure BMS or someone like them would happily make something for you as another alternative.

Edit: As I think about it, if you make your own consider the field it's going to fly in and maybe seriously consider fiberglassing this bugger if you make your own.

Last edited:
Edit: As I think about it, if you make your own consider the field it's going to fly in and maybe seriously consider fiberglassing this bugger if you make your own.

+1 to glassing anything you might make. I made a 3" to 38mm tailcone out of balsa. I finished it with CWF and CA like I do balsa nose cones to smooth it out and strengthen it. First flight, it got a pretty nasty dent. I'll fly it until it's just too beat up to stand, then strip the paint and add a layer of fiberglass.

Cone?
Lay it out on construction paper, roll it up and glue it down. Fiberglass it if necessary.

Anyone tried a PML 3.9" to 2.1 tailcone with an 38mm Aeropack retainer. Didn't know if there is enough clearance to get a grip on the retainer if it is recessed into the tailcone or maybe leave 1/8" of the retainer exposed.

Probably not the type of thing for which you're looking but feel free to adapt it it suits your needs.

I took a plastic gelato container that the missus had emptied, cut a hole in the lid and epoxied it to the aft centering ring
2012-06-06 14.47.20.jpg

I cut the top 1" off the container and scrapped the rest. That was epoxied to my dummy nozzle
2012-06-06 15.07.17.jpg

Once the Motor Mount was set and the nozzle painted...
2012-07-19 19.34.48.jpg

Anyone tried a PML 3.9" to 2.1 tailcone with an 38mm Aeropack retainer. Didn't know if there is enough clearance to get a grip on the retainer if it is recessed into the tailcone or maybe leave 1/8" of the retainer exposed.

That's a good point. There is only 16mm to play with to the tube sizes but depends on retainer size.

Trying find stock of them as will test both 54 and 75.

75 might be better to give room

PML does custom work; I once had them quote me a 4" to 29mm tail cone, though I never ended up doing that project.

Found a cheap supply of the 54mm & 75mm too 3.9 tail cone so have ordered both. They are coming from Canada to the UK so have to wait and see.

Anyone have the OD of a 38mm Aeropack as mine is in transit.

19 days later they have arrived. Have a 4" section of blue tube from a current build so was able too test.

The 3.9 - 3" is nice, light, plenty of space and will work.

The 3.9 - 2.1" is nice also but heavy. It's also a a lot sharper on the point.

I'm going to use the 3.8 - 3". Looks perfect.

Back