• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

4 Mobious camera shrouds (new)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of the sealed unit. This is the 3" version and that is a 3" pre-cut bay but for the open bay cam kit. The 4" is the same except that it has a larger radius. I have two 120˚ lenses but not here to show how they fit but it is no different that what has been posted. Length wise these sealed kits look to be roughly twice as long as the open bay cam kit posted above. The idea of this kit is that you can throw it into an existing rocket's payload tube, which is exposed to the ejection gases, where as the open bay cam kit would go into a seal AV bay.

This kit has a seal around the perimeter of the sled, seen below the rust colour.

35185369212_378a2f6e26.jpg

Here is the complete kit, it comes with everything needed except the camera, although you can purchase that with eh kit as well. Sled to the left, then a cushion to wrap the camera for a nice snug fit, the camera lens extension cable, and the molded carbon fiber lens shroud, which you would install and blend into the airframe.

34964899850_0ef9077b0a_b.jpg

Dry fit into the AV bay, as I said this is not the kit that will be used with this AV bay as it will be a sealed AV bay, instead the 3" will be retrofit into a 3" rocket already built, but it will be installed in the payload bay. In this pic you can also see the holes that line up with the power button and LED on the Mobious Camera. One other thing to note is the mounting holes for the open sled are 2 and the sealed unit has 4 mounting holes.

Thanks for that.

As an owner, would you consider it feasible to install a 3" shroud (only) in a 2.6" fiberglass tube?

My intention is to order shrouds only without camera boxes and use them on 2.6" models. They are inexpensive enough to me that an order for 3 or 4 of them would be well worth not spending the time to build them individually.

Thanks for that.

As an owner, would you consider it feasible to install a 3" shroud (only) in a 2.6" fiberglass tube?

My intention is to order shrouds only without camera boxes and use them on 2.6" models. They are inexpensive enough to me that an order for 3 or 4 of them would be well worth not spending the time to build them individually.

I have an OOP Dynacom Python in my build pile and I cannot recall if that is 2.6" or not but, I will have a look and if so I will grab some relative pics of the 3" and 4" shroud sitting on the airframe for you.

Thanks for that.

The shrouds may work for you, but they really are designed around specific camera setups. If you have a tiny pen-type camera you might be able to poke it out of the shroud, but I'm not sure.

Would still be interested in seeing any video taken from one of these shrouds. The angle the lens ends up at seems rather steep, is any portion of the airframe still in the shot (i.e. any part of the camera looking straight down)? Does this assume the wider-angle Mobius lens or the standard one? If there are any videos would be good to know which lens version was used.

Would still be interested in seeing any video taken from one of these shrouds. The angle the lens ends up at seems rather steep, is any portion of the airframe still in the shot (i.e. any part of the camera looking straight down)? Does this assume the wider-angle Mobius lens or the standard one? If there are any videos would be good to know which lens version was used.

I am not sure Brian, AKA Ravenex, is monitoring this thread but I believe I saw some video withe 120˚ lens and it did still have the airframe in frame...I don't recall the std. lens. However my memory is not to be relied on as I have seen a lot of video on the subject so I may be getting things mixed up. I would PM him https://www.rocketryforum.com/member.php?17449-Ravenex

Well the Dynacom Python is 3.3" :eek:, however I also have an OOP West Coast Rocketry Bonneville which is 2.63"

35235979991_e008617969_b.jpg

To my eye it looks like you could easily use the shroud on a 2.6" diameter airframe.

That is exactly what I needed. Looks perfect! Thank you!

The shrouds may work for you, but they really are designed around specific camera setups. If you have a tiny pen-type camera you might be able to poke it out of the shroud, but I'm not sure.

Thanks. I do/source my own fabrication, including design and construction of small parts. Sans a few Estes kits for nostalgic reasons (which still ended up modified), none of my builds are kits. I only scratch build. This part saves some work, and mpitfield confirmed the fit. My machinist loves me because I only bring unique, one-off jobs to him. I recently threw $90 bucks at him to turn half the length of a 4" fiberglass nose cone coupler .010" to fit inside a 4" Blue Tube. Pricey? Perhaps, but I hate sanding.

Last edited:
Back