Additive Aerospace camera shrouds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopy

Reaction score
Okay - so...I got a RunCam2 for Christmas, so I ordered a few different sized shrouds from Additive Aerospace, and they are great! But I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount them so they are removeable. Not looking to buy a shroud for every rocket that can carry one, so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with these, and what are the best ways to mount them so they are secure, but still removable so they can be moved from rocket to rocket.

I'm thinking of getting #4 screws and some blind nuts with flat bases and putting those through the body tube and shaving them down to the right length. Those would be secure, and wouldn't really have anything sticking into the recovery system areas of the rocket for things to catch on...does anyone else have another method they've tried?

I'm thinking of getting #4 screws and some blind nuts with flat bases and putting those through the body tube and shaving them down to the right length.
That is a good way to go.

So far I've only mounted mine in fiberglass rockets, and that's with #4 screws and PEM nuts. Works quite well.

Pro tip(based on my failures of imagination): be aware that if you're doing dual deploy, either ground test WITH and WITHOUT the screws in place when developing ejection charges as the pressure that you develop MAY have some issues with the added compartment venting when the screws aren't there (or the added venting isn't as originally tested!). Or just simply have some shorter blank off screws to install when you launch without the shroud.

Another approach is to find the sweet spot where putting in the mounting holes/screws only vents into the avionics bay, thus preventing any interaction with the deployment charges altogether. The added fasteners MAY have some physical interference issues, so plan accordingly, but I've never found that leaving the screws out to cause any 'over venting' issues for the deployment computers.

So far I've only mounted mine in fiberglass rockets, and that's with #4 screws and PEM nuts. Works quite well.

Pro tip(based on my failures of imagination): be aware that if you're doing dual deploy, either ground test WITH and WITHOUT the screws in place when developing ejection charges as the pressure that you develop MAY have some issues with the added compartment venting when the screws aren't there (or the added venting isn't as originally tested!). Or just simply have some shorter blank off screws to install when you launch without the shroud.

Another approach is to find the sweet spot where putting in the mounting holes/screws only vents into the avionics bay, thus preventing any interaction with the deployment charges altogether. The added fasteners MAY have some physical interference issues, so plan accordingly, but I've never found that leaving the screws out to cause any 'over venting' issues for the deployment computers.
Good thoughts...I'm planning on keeping the screws short enough that they don't go all the way through the blind nuts or whatever I have in there, and I'll probably tape over the ends or something to seal it.

I use a t-nut and 3D print a small mounting block then glue the entire assembly to the inside of the body tube. The end of the t-nut is just below the OD of the BT. I've done this on FG and cardboard BTs for camera mounts as well as launch lugs. You could easily make a wooden block with a belt sander instead of printing one. I can post some pics later if you are interested. I have a crushed BT from a rocket that came in semi-ballistic that shows the inside really well. :rolleyes:

(Or you can come see it in person because I probably live 5 minutes from you based on your signature.)

I use a t-nut and 3D print a small mounting block then glue the entire assembly to the inside of the body tube. The end of the t-nut is just below the OD of the BT. I've done this on FG and cardboard BTs for camera mounts as well as launch lugs. You could easily make a wooden block with a belt sander instead of printing one. I can post some pics later if you are interested. I have a crushed BT from a rocket that came in semi-ballistic that shows the inside really well. :rolleyes:

(Or you can come see it in person because I probably live 5 minutes from you based on your signature.)
lol...you ever go to build night at eRockets?

lol...you ever go to build night at eRockets?
Nope. I've been to both their old and new location but never attended a build night. I should probably go at some point however I'm pretty sure my OCD would not mesh well with a build night scenario. I'd need a U-Haul to carry all the jigs and fixtures I use when building rockets so I just build at home.

Nope. I've been to both their old and new location but never attended a build night. I should probably go at some point however I'm pretty sure my OCD would not mesh well with a build night scenario. I'd need a U-Haul to carry all the jigs and fixtures I use when building rockets so I just build at home.
Yeah - I get that. It can be a bit hectic and loud. Who do you launch with, if you don't mind my asking?

Yeah - I get that. It can be a bit hectic and loud. Who do you launch with, if you don't mind my asking?
I have not been to a launch yet this season but I normally go to both WSR and TMO launches depending on which doesn't get canceled and my availability. I'm beginning to dabble with EX so I think a lot of my upcoming activity will not be launches but instead motor testing in the field behind my house.

I have not been to a launch yet this season but I normally go to both WSR and TMO launches depending on which doesn't get canceled and my availability. I'm beginning to dabble with EX so I think a lot of my upcoming activity will not be launches but instead motor testing in the field behind my house.
If you've launched with WSR, then I'm sure we've met...looking to launch with them on Saturday if the weather holds and the field permits.

I've used the well nuts, the type that typically comes with rail buttons for "quick conversions", placed inside the airframe to act as the mount as well as to help keep recovery harnesses from hanging up on the screws.

I think next time I install one, I'll install a 3d printed block that has a profile such that the harness and/or chutes cant foul up on the screws.

Back