4" Der Red Max Clustered

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this rocket Eugene....

The only problem is that it makes my BT80 sized der Red Max look like a wimp. :D H165 Redline....very cool.

John

FINAL FLIGHT OF THE RED MAX - MOTOR FAILURE

Well folks...I guess in rocketry when you build pretty you die pretty. My upscale Der Red Max flew one last time on March 12, 2005 at this month's <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14640">NEFAR</a> meet. I can honestly say that the loss of the rocket was much like losing a sentimental antique passed down through family generations. I really came to love this rocket and was incredibly obsessive over never getting it scratched. Heck, it was the first rocket that I actually spent multiple evenings priming, sanding, and painting. Alas, having never gotten to use my $49 Tango Papa upscale decals I am somewhat consoled. The sad part is that the lower half of the airframe is still very shiny. The ACE nosecone is a loss and may not be replaceable. Maybe I'll make a Big Der Red Max from this carcass and commission sandman to turn me a scale cone.

The final flight was on an AT SU G80-7T and (2) E9-Ps in the outer 24mm MMTs. The boost was beautiful and the death dive gutwrenching.

I am eternally grateful to Karl Simpson and Raymond Carr for capturing pictures of its final flight. I have since sent out for prints from the digital stills of this rocket which I'll frame and place somewhere near the rest of the collection.

Thanks for following this thread.

Pic 1 is of what's left. I could definitely rebuild this one.

Here is where the G80 burned through the casing. As mentioned in a previous thread, this type of burn through can cause a rapid depressurization.

Here you can see where the MMT's were charred by the burn-through.

Here's a closeup of the E9 casing. I guess I should have used E9-8s as backup :( .

..and for once, a great shot of some violet blue thunder flame. I think the E9s made a nice shroud around the G80.

Eugene,

If you want I have a 4" ACE nosecone - has paint on it but I bet you can get it off....let me know.

Edward

Originally posted by eugenefl
The boost was beautiful and the death dive gutwrenching.

I was walking back from recovering one of my rockets and saw this flight.
Gutwrenching doesn't begin to describe it. As soon as it hit apogee
I (and certainly many others) started to mutter, then shout "come on! come on!"...

It was like that scene in StarWars - as if the screams of milllions had suddenly
been silenced...

YOU HAVE TO REBUILD! This is not the death prang you are looking for...

OHH!!! The Humanity!!!

Eugene...that just plain S**KS!

You have to rebuild it....or build another one. No rocket collection is complete without an upscale der Red Max. Plus, like you said, you still have the decals for it. You can't let those go to waste.

Sorry about the rocket. If you fly them....you crash them....

John

Oh come on, Eugenio...

A little spackle, some primer and you're ready to go...

...ok, a LOT of spackle and a gallon of primer, but still... :p

Bummer on the timing... ...about 3 weeks ago I sold a 4" ACE cone on eBay...

As you may have seen in one of the other DRM Posts, I have my own..actually I have 3 different DRMs - 1 that is an original size Big Der Red Max, a 3" and finally a 6". I know the time that goes into building, painting and waiting to fly them....so to hear that yours sufferred that kind of damage is aweful.

You should definately rebuild it though. They fly as well and as straight as any rocket I have seen. Those big fins really are a site to see.

You got the decals...the tubes aren't much and the cone can be tough to find.... but they are out there. Actually, I think Performance Rocketry has a 4" fiberglass 5 to 1 Ogive. You can just cut off the top and round it over with fiberglass and bondo and it will look almost like the real thing.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by edwardw
Eugene,

If you want I have a 4" ACE nosecone - has paint on it but I bet you can get it off....let me know.

Edward

Edward, thank you very much for the offer, but powderburner has already source one for me.

I'll need to calculate the upscale dimensions for the <a href="https://www.dars.org/jimz/es-1977.htm">Der Big Red Max</a>. I think I am going to make this rebuild a priority as I really enjoyed flying this rocket. Unfortunately, I may not go the auto paint this time around since I currently do not have access to a paint gun. We'll see what happens. I'll more than likely start a "rebuild" thread once I get some replacement parts. Stay tuned!

Originally posted by eugenefl
I think I am going to make this rebuild a priority as I really enjoyed flying this rocket.
I'll more than likely start a "rebuild" thread once I get some replacement parts. Stay tuned!

I know you've been busy with real life and all, but have you done anything on this Eugene?

Here's some inspiration from the Vastaas Brothers site- https://vatsaas.org/rtv/misc/bios/toddbio.aspx
:)

Busy isn't the word. It's more like drama. My girlfriend's mom moved in and somehow got stuck here. Yep, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend, her mom, and... her cousin although she's only here for a few weeks. Still, we're up to four people in my 1 bedroom apartment. Her mom's departure is unknown and we've got 3 more weeks with her cousin. Yep, I've got the "Hotel Rwanda" going on over here. Makes me a little sick. So you see, I don't typically come home right away after work. Rocketry is kind of a blur for me right now. But, when I am ready and there is space again I have parts for a DRM rebuild. Actually, it'll be the extended Big DRM.

Eugene,

You know you are always welcome to drive yourself across the bridge and work on rocket stuff with me and my awesome rocketry-dedicated shed! I'm gonna need some help on that 7.5" Thumper I just ordered!

I kinda know how you feel though. One summer I got stuck with my 7 year old niece - all summer PLUS some! ARGH! Those were about the most annoyed months of my life. :p :)

So, call me!

Jason

Back