38 years ago today...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow a lot of people were at VT itā€™s hard to imagine most of you as one of the college kids!
We were. Now that was back in the day when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, the computer lab was filled with the sound of card readers and dot matrix printers, and the last Confederate soldier was still hiding in the woods, not realizing the war was over.

I was sitting in the waiting room waiting for my first son to be born, and they had the TV running. Watched the launch, not knowing that it was a replay, and then heard the newscaster say, "it happens right about here..." and I thought, what happens? A couple of seconds later, I learned what happened.
Six children were born that day at Garland hospital that day. My Son is now 38 and working at a nuclear power plant.

We were watching the launch on TV. When the event happened I knew it was a catastrophe. My parents were watching the launch in person. i can still picture it in my mind.

I had been thrown out of class for one reason or another (not uncommon for me back then) and was standing in the hallway outside the classroom when the principal came over the PA with the news. They first gathered the entire school in the auditorium and they played the news coverage on the overhead projector for about an hour. At lunch time they let us go home if we wanted. Those that didn't have a way home stayed in the auditorium the rest of the day.

I went home and watched the news coverage the rest of the day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back