29mm V2 LL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Reaction score
Well, my upgraded Estes CA/V2 is waiting for sanding and primer. It hasn't even been trimmed with any nose weight yet and it already is pushing 8 oz. according to my ultra cheap postal scale. Bottom line is that this thing is going to be heavy. With that in mind do I ditch the LL for railbuttons? What do you use for criteria when decdng to use buttons? Weight, height, FPS? I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but I can't find it.:eek:

Thanks!

On 29mm rockets I preferr to go with a 1/4 rod or rail.
Mainly because our lowpower rods are somewhat closely spaced so I preferr not to potentially scorch or knock the adjacent rocket off it's standoff.

we have seperate midpower pads for the 29mm stuff

Originally posted by Rat
Well, my upgraded Estes CA/V2 is waiting for sanding and primer. It hasn't even been trimmed with any nose weight yet and it already is pushing 8 oz. according to my ultra cheap postal scale. Bottom line is that this thing is going to be heavy. With that in mind do I ditch the LL for railbuttons? What do you use for criteria when decdng to use buttons? Weight, height, FPS? I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but I can't find it.:eek:

Thanks!

8 ounces is really overkill for a rail. I would go for a 1/4" rod as styme said.

Originally posted by outasight13
8 ounces is really overkill for a rail. I would go for a 1/4" rod as styme said.

I'd agree with that. I normally don't go to rail buttons unless I plan on launching on HPR loads. If it's G and below, 1/4" is fine.

It's 8 ounces without noseweight, recovery. or propulsion. It will probably be double that ready for flight. Well maybe not double but at least 12 I would think.

So is the general idea that buttons are unnecessary until you start talking high power? I would think it is more an issue of weight and speed off the rod/rail no? This being my first 29mm bird and the first one this heavy makes me quite apprehensive. I feel like Ive created a monster here.:eek:

Thanks!

Originally posted by Rat
It's 8 ounces without noseweight, recovery. or propulsion. It will probably be double that ready for flight. Well maybe not double but at least 12 I would think.

So is the general idea that buttons are unnecessary until you start talking high power? I would think it is more an issue of weight and speed off the rod/rail no? This being my first 29mm bird and the first one this heavy makes me quite apprehensive. I feel like Ive created a monster here.:eek:

Thanks!

It's more about weight and thrust, I think. If you have a heavy model with alot of thrust, the force of the motor can bend a rod over as the rocket travels up, then it will get whipped off the top of the rod. As for what's best on this one - I fly my PML Amraam 2.1 on G64 and G77 loads off of a 1/4" rod with no problems. Same for my AT Strong Arm and Initiator. The lightest of these is 16oz without a motor.

Back