28mm Estes BullPup 12D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stizzed

Reaction score
Well, I have decided to try my luck at putting a 24mm in an Estes BullPup 12D. (just 'cause I got one cheap!) :)

Anyone have any thoughts, tips, etc.

I ran it through RocSim and though I am an extreme novice at RocSim it looks like it will work nearly stock. I know that I have to shave back the tailcone but not much else?

Thanx in advance!

Michael

mabey build it strong,paint it bright orange and just use break-apart(nose blow) recovery..or a small streamer for tracking

Originally posted by stymye
mabey build it strong,paint it bright orange and just use break-apart(nose blow) recovery..or a small streamer for tracking
There is an awful lot of noseweight in there to begin with and I'm sure you will need to add more with a 24mm motor. On my Bullpup, even with a streamer, the nose cone (very pointy) comes down fast and buries itself into the ground a little. Mine comes down reasonably fast on a small chute.

Originally posted by BobH48
There is an awful lot of noseweight in there to begin with and I'm sure you will need to add more with a 24mm motor. On my Bullpup, even with a streamer, the nose cone (very pointy) comes down fast and buries itself into the ground a little. Mine comes down reasonably fast on a small chute.

So maybe extra weight and a small chute instead of stock weight and a streamer?

Thanx!

Michael

I put a 24mm mount in mine. Using a D12 I had to increase the nose weight from the stock 14 grams to 40 grams. That gives you a margin of 1.62. Goes like a rocket! A 12" rip stop chute brings it back nicely.

To get more bang for your buck with extra nose weight, use a dense material like lead shot instead of clay. This will put more weight further forward in the nose and the amount needed to balance the rocket will be less than with clay. Add 90 minute epoxy to the lead shot and you're golden.

MetMan

Originally posted by MetMan
To get more bang for your buck with extra nose weight, use a dense material like lead shot instead of clay. This will put more weight further forward in the nose and the amount needed to balance the rocket will be less than with clay. Add 90 minute epoxy to the lead shot and you're golden.

MetMan

Great Idea!!! I seem to remember from working with my son on his Pinewood Derby car (which BTW smoked the competition) that Tungsten weights are much smaller per oz than lead or steel. I may try that as well.

For a link to at least one place which sells tungsten weights in both cubes and balls go to: www.maximum-velocity.com

Michael

Originally posted by stizzed
For a link to at least one place which sells tungsten weights in both cubes and balls go to: www.maximum-velocity.com

Michael

Wow--I didn't know Pinewood derby had gone so high tech! The tungsten beads look ideal, if a little pricey (for nose weight). Split shot from WalMart (not lead any more) works pretty good. If you can't get it small enough, cut it up with wire cutters.

I think the shooters out there will also point to shotgun pellets. I think you can get these in multiple-lifetime supplies from places like Gander mountain.

Back