256" Altimeter Bay--Dimensions and Weight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone?

One of my 2004 projects is going to be my first dual deployment rocket. I'm going to start small with a four engine D or E cluster based on Estes BT80 tube. I'm planning to use tube coupler stock for the altimeter bay. I haven't yet purchased the altimeter yet, so I'm unclear of their various dimensions and weights.

My questions are:

- How long does my altimeter bay need to be for the commonly available dual deployment altimeters?

- Can you give me a weight estimate for an altimer bay?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

MetMan

I recently finished an altimeter bay for my LOC Legacy. It is 1.5" in diameter and 18" long. It weighed in at 4.5 oz but I used a lot of epoxy. Attatched is a drawing of my setup.

Originally posted by MetMan
- How long does my altimeter bay need to be for the commonly available dual deployment altimeters?

- Can you give me a weight estimate for an altimer bay?

MetMan, I made a altimeter bay for my Aerotech Warthog..... I don't plan to use it for dual deployment, just to report max altitude...... (I believe it is the same diameter as a BT-80 (OD 2.64")) ......... My bay is made from a coupler, with 3/16" plywood bulkhead and 2 section of "all-thread"...... The coupler is 5.5", but the overall length is 7.5"..... I used pretty heavy hardware and mine weights 7.1oz without the altimeter sled......

Here's what mine looks like......

Back