24mm screw on retainer diy???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKaul04

Reaction score
I would like to know of ideas for 24mm screw on motor retainers.

Thanks

DIY is the key word

For most people, injection molding and CNC machining do not qualify as DIY. Can a 3D printer make a screw? Are big enough taps available? Can't wait to find out more from future posts!

For most people, injection molding and CNC machining do not qualify as DIY. Can a 3D printer make a screw? Are big enough taps available? Can't wait to find out more from future posts!
Yes, 24mm 3D printed are just fine. I use them on a ton of my rockets. smallest ones on here are 24mm20171115_161031_resized.jpg

You can definitely 3D print them. I've seen people use the threaded bottle caps from plastic soda bottles. Cut the top off the bottle and glue it on your MMT. Then all you have to do is cut the center out of the bottle cap. I know they have been posted on this forum before. I found this from a quick search. There were more than just this one.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/24mm-motor-retention.39363/page-3#post-378596

Last edited:
If you search the forum for "24mm bottle retainer," I suspect you'll find some DIY retainer solutions, including, I think using the threaded neck and cap from various size Gatorade bottles, over the counter pill bottles, etc. Use your imagination - you might be surprised at what you create!

If you search the forum for "24mm bottle retainer," I suspect you'll find some DIY retainer solutions, including, I think using the threaded neck and cap from various size Gatorade bottles, over the counter pill bottles, etc. Use your imagination - you might be surprised at what you create!

I’ve used drink bottles, pill bottles and plumbing parts - all work fine. You will have to do some fitting work with files, sandpaper, Dremel - whichever’s your preference. Now that Estes sells inexpensive retainers in 18-24-29mm ginning up homemade versions isn’t very likely for me anymore but if it works for you then groovy!

I recently made one for a plywood centering ring of a Dynastar kit (stone breaker) out of a simple (and very common in households) picture hanger. The kind with teeth and a hole on either end for a small nail. I cut one with tin snips and used small metal screws and held an aero tech E20 in just fine right where there are two notches on the motor. I'll post a pic later if you like. It has a small step up from the hole so it worked perfect for mid-power AT motors. I upgraded the kits cardstock CR's to plywood for this reason.

Back