2022 Tripoli Annual Election of Directors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripoli Support

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The 2022 election of Tripoli directors is now underway.
We have nine candidates vying for three open seats on the board of directors. Eligible voting members have until June 11, 2022 to cast their online ballot. Election results will be announced during the annual meeting at LDRS, on June 11, 2022.

The following candidates have volunteered to serve on Tripoli's board of directors:
• Steve Shannon
• Christopher Nilsen
• Amy Howell
• Bryce Chanes
• Dave Rose
• Gerald Meux
• Art Applewhite
• Mark Burton
• Rick Maschek

Candidate resumes and instructions for voting are available on the Elections page on our website at www.Tripoli.org.

There's only 3 people out of that list that I've ever heard of. Like most all elections it's a popularity contest, but I'll vote. Our own Steve Shannon is obviously a good guy. :bravo:

There's only 3 people out of that list that I've ever heard of. Like most all elections it's a popularity contest, but I'll vote. Our own Steve Shannon is obviously a good guy. :bravo:
I can’t tell you thanks enough, but I’ve met several of the people on the list and they’re all good people driven by a desire to advance rocketry safely.

Hello Tripoli Members,

Just a reminder that LDRS and the annual meeting are only a couple of weeks away, and the election of Tripoli directors is still open.

Candidate resumes and instructions for voting are available on the Tripoli website at www.Tripoli.org

I'd like to add more of my two-cents worth. Each year, Tripoli has an election where three positions of our nine director board are filled.
Every year, our voter turnout is around 16%. Frankly, that's terrible, but I've spoken with leaders of other similar organizations and they have similarly low turnouts also.
So, I'd like to suggest that all eligible voting members take some time to review the candidate resumes. Ask questions of the candidates. I don't know of a single candidate who wouldn't gladly answer questions on the private Tripoli Forum or here (not all are members here though) or on the Tripoli Facebook group.
Personally, I think it would be best for the organization if incumbent candidate Dave Rose, is re-elected. He's the treasurer and he does a fantastic job and that's the most difficult position to transition. His was the first name I checked when I voted. Skippy's (Gerald Meux) was the second; he's young, energetic, and cares deeply about Tripoli. Very recent events in my wife's condition (progressive MS plus immunosuppressant medicines) made me realize that I'll be unable to attend large launches or meetings away from home, such as LDRS and BALLS. For that reason I would strongly urge you to vote for Dave and Gerald before me.
We also have six other qualified candidates who have not been on the Board before. Look at what they represent to the future of Tripoli.

So, if you're one of the thousands of eligible Tripoli members who hasn't voted, do your homework, think hard about what's best for the organization, and vote. You only have 13 more days.

I'd like to add more of my two-cents worth. Each year, Tripoli has an election where three positions of our nine director board are filled.
Every year, our voter turnout is around 16%. Frankly, that's terrible, but I've spoken with leaders of other similar organizations and they have similarly low turnouts also.
So, I'd like to suggest that all eligible voting members take some time to review the candidate resumes. Ask questions of the candidates. I don't know of a single candidate who wouldn't gladly answer questions on the private Tripoli Forum or here (not all are members here though) or on the Tripoli Facebook group.
Personally, I think it would be best for the organization if incumbent candidate Dave Rose, is re-elected. He's the treasurer and he does a fantastic job and that's the most difficult position to transition. His was the first name I checked when I voted. Skippy's (Gerald Meux) was the second; he's young, energetic, and cares deeply about Tripoli. Very recent events in my wife's condition (progressive MS plus immunosuppressant medicines) made me realize that I'll be unable to attend large launches or meetings away from home, such as LDRS and BALLS. For that reason I would strongly urge you to vote for Dave and Gerald before me.
We also have six other qualified candidates who have not been on the Board before. Look at what they represent to the future of Tripoli.

So, if you're one of the thousands of eligible Tripoli members who hasn't voted, do your homework, think hard about what's best for the organization, and vote. You only have 13 more days.
I am not a Tripoli member. However, I have served as Treasurer in other clubs or organizations. Generally, the first thing you do upon taking office is audit the books. If the incumbent is reelected, the audit is pointless. Still, the incumbent may be the best person for the office,

F-UP! The password reset wouldn't take the emailed password. We had no problems in previous years. Why fix what ain't broke?!

F-UP! The password reset wouldn't take the emailed password. We had no problems in previous years. Why fix what ain't broke?!
I assure you that we have had complaints about the changes we’ve made every single year, even when the system is exactly the same as the previous year.
There’s an email address on your election reminder for whom to call to get assistance. Please use it.

We did make a small change this year. Instead of asking HQ to print a unique password on the back of 5,000+ membership cards each year, we are asking people to create their own personal password. We have received requests for help from a small number of members, and I apologize it has not been perfect - but neither was the old way. Lost or misplaced membership cards also meant requests for manual password resets. Either way most members don't have any issues, and for those that request help, we give it freely and without complaint.

Hmmmmm, If only there was some way I could make myself known to people. Perhaps participating in some sort of meeting place like a forum. .......
If only 16% are voting, what actual percentage do you need to win? 🤔😁

Hmmmmm, If only there was some way I could make myself known to people. Perhaps participating in some sort of meeting place like a forum. .......
They are on the Tripoli forum. The smart ones stay off TRF.

Not very many. I’ll make one very convenient assumption:
Assume 4503 eligible voters.
16% of that is 720 votes.
That’s 80 votes average for each candidate with the prevailing candidates each receiving one more vote.
81, 81, 81, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, and 80.
81/4503 = 1.8% of the possible votes.

They are on the Tripoli forum. The smart ones stay off TRF.
Stopped calling the Tripoli Forum a Forum when it became a Facebook page. What's that I hear? The sound of an index engine turning over...... I prefered the listserver. The good and the bad.
And yes I know this is indexed. There's more life here. But that's another conversation....
Good luck Steve. If you're crazy enough to stand, I'm crazy enough to vote for you.
Norm

Stopped calling the Tripoli Forum a Forum when it became a Facebook page. What's that I hear? The sound of an index engine turning over...... I prefered the listserver. The good and the bad.
And yes I know this is indexed. There's more life here. But that's another conversation....
Good luck Steve. If you're crazy enough to stand, I'm crazy enough to vote for you.
Norm
Thanks, Norm.
I guess we’re both crazy. 😁

I read the short statements, from those that are running.

I don't know any of them.

Never met them.

Why vote?

Roy
Because we're rocket scientists, and we attempt to address things objectively. I may not know Candidate Hornswoggle but I can read what he wrote, see how well his direction for the organization aligns with mine, look at his record in terms of what the organization needs. And compare the candidates according to my criteria. C'mon, rocket scientists can think critically! We're some of the few in the US who do...very literally....

Back