2012 World Space Modelling Championships

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjohnson

mox nix
Reaction score
This year the WSMC are being held in Liptovský Mikuláš, Slovakia. Things get underway the 1st week of September.
The US delegation will be 57 folks including 15 juniors, 18 seniors and a lot of supporters. You've seen some of the models built by the junior S7 (scale) team recently.

There are 3 bulletins about the contest posted here: https://www.ramod.sk/

kj

Member Gus just completed a successful flight on his Pad Abort 1 model at the WSMC in Slovakia.

It didn't win but it was a hit! Everybody loved it and wanted a picture with the model after the flight.

06 - GG - IMG_4938.jpgPad Abort lift off at WSMC.JPG

The Apollo capsule below is included. ;)
It was a nice flight.
Mvpricop,

Thanks so much for the great video of my flight, and for the videos of all the other flights as well.

And congratulations to Kjohnson who was a member of the bronze medal winning U.S. S8E RC Rocketglider team. Folks, it is REALLY hard to win a medal at the World Spacemodeling Championships and the U.S. S8 team was truly superb.

Man I think we go a bit over board on safety sometimes, but those videos are ridiculous. Guys standing right on top of these rockets almost as they launch. Crowds ducking parts left and right, its a wonder no one got hurt.

TA

I thought the size of the launch lanes was very generous this year compared to some of the prior WSMC. Most of the US team members bring along launch controllers that meet or exceed the safety code, so we can practice with them stateside at NAR launches.

kj

Here's two edited videos I made, mostly set to music. Both regarding the S8 R/C Rocket Glide events.

One is about the US Senior S8E/P team which got a team Bronze medal. Kevin Johnson (KJ), Mathew Berk, and I were on that team. The objective of the E powered R/C R/G's is to fly for exactly 6 minutes and hit a spot landing target as close as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0Vj8NqYGw&list=UUCCLmM1E1bjCbyO5cpMbFhg&index=2&feature=plcp

The other is a video of the US Junior S8D Team, which came in 4th. One had just turned 13, one was 10, an one was 8, while most other countries had teenagers as old as 18 flying (this was a "rebuilding" year for the US JR Team). One member of the Junior S8D Team got a bronze medal, see the video to find out who/how. The objective of the D powered event is to get a "max" time of 6 minutes (A flight of 6:01 and a flight of 8:02 both score as 6:00, or 360 seconds). Two years ago, only two fliers "maxed out" with 3 maxes. One of those was Alyssa Stenberg, who was 10 at the time, winning a Silver medal and the team won the gold medal (She's the one who was the "old hand" on the US S8D Team this year). This year it was very windy (especially round 1), so nobody got three maxes.

https://vimeo.com/50660456

07%20-%20GG%20-%20IMG_4770.jpg

02%20-%20GG%20-%20IMG_4375%20Team%20photo%20of%20the%20JR%20SD%20fliers%20-%20Brendan%20O'Bryan,.jpg

Last edited:
And I believe George is probably the all time medal winner on the US Team. Congrats my friend!

Can someone please explain the catagories/anacronims for the "WSMC"???

S1- altitude
S2- payload
S3- parachute duration
S4- boost glider
S5- scale altitude
S6- streamer duration
S7- scale
S8- rocket glider duration
S9- gyrocopter
S10- flex wing duration

The "S" prefix denotes spacemodeling.
"WSMC" is the World Spacemodeling Championships.

Latest posts

Back