2006 Midwest Schedule

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Being new to the midwest, can anyone tell me of some good rocketry events I can look forward to in 2006?

Can be conventions, significant launches (two or more days), trade shows, etc? Again, keeping it midwest oriented.

Thanks!

A couple of the good ones to check out are-

Tripoli Quad Cities, in the Quad Cities (Iowa and Illinois)-

www.tripoliquadcities39.com

and

Kloudbusters in Wichita, Kansas-

www.kloudbusters.org

AND you're within fairly easy driving distance to next year's LDRS at the end of June in Amarillo, Texas.

https://potrocs.org/index.html

Club's site in that link, LDRS info by clicking on NEWS on the left side of the screen.

Greg

We'll have our schedule finalized next week. We'll have a spring NAR contest, 06 extravaganza will be in September, and our traditional two day October launch.

You know, I was being hopeful and looking at NARCON. And I know this might cause a lot of comments, but to be honest it doesn't look that compelling. I wish I was down here last year to meet the Estes'.

I'd like to meet a few people and vendors, but there's no launch. Maybe it's me, but when I think of the NAR convention I think of the biggest event of the year.

Maybe they should consider moving this event to a time of the year and a location that would make this a premier event.

But, hey, I'm just the new kid . . .

Originally posted by akpilot
You know, I was being hopeful and looking at NARCON. And I know this might cause a lot of comments, but to be honest it doesn't look that compelling. I wish I was down here last year to meet the Estes'.

I'd like to meet a few people and vendors, but there's no launch. Maybe it's me, but when I think of the NAR convention I think of the biggest event of the year.

Maybe they should consider moving this event to a time of the year and a location that would make this a premier event.

But, hey, I'm just the new kid . . .

If you look at stories from prior NARCONs, you'll find a lot of people like yourself. How much fun can a rocket event be without launching anything?

The answer turns out to be a lot!

Last year's event, in addition to the Estes', had Ky Michaelson talking about his sounding rocket story, Jay Apt, NAR Board member and former astronaut, talk about his four flights, including a trip to the MIR space station, some incredible kids from a Wisconsin high school showing their project for the NASA Space Launch Initative (SLI), 30 or 40 different forums, workshops and discussion groups with topics from fiberglass tube making to BG design and flying, to finishing techniques to hybrid rocket motors. Plus a bunch of vendors showing and selling their latest products and a supersized raffle!

This is actually the perfect NAR event for "the new kid"! Come on down (or should that be up?) and join the fun!

I'd like to meet a few people and vendors, but there's no launch.

The last two NARCONs have been hosted by the same group. Each year there has been a concurrent launch held at Bong State Recreation area. The date with Bong cannot be confirmed until January 2006.

Dean

Originally posted by snowman2
The last two NARCONs have been hosted by the same group. Each year there has been a concurrent launch held at Bong State Recreation area. The date with Bong cannot be confirmed until January 2006.

Dean
Dean (I'm assuming this is Dean Roth),

We will not be having a launch in conjunction with this years NARCON. The weather was bad for them in both 2004 and 2005, and it was hard to get volunteers to work the launch AND NARCON.

For those that want a large, NAR sponsored launch, NAR has two of them each year. The first is NSL and the second is NARAM.

Originally posted by narprez

This is actually the perfect NAR event for "the new kid"! Come on down (or should that be up?) and join the fun!

I appreciate your enthusiasm, maybe I will give it a go this year! Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for posting some good windows of opportunity. I want to make a few. So I'll talk to the wife and see if I can convince her of some road trips this year. Heck, if I show her the scrapbooking stores around the launches - I'd be set!

Originally posted by akpilot
I appreciate your enthusiasm, maybe I will give it a go this year! Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for posting some good windows of opportunity. I want to make a few. So I'll talk to the wife and see if I can convince her of some road trips this year. Heck, if I show her the scrapbooking stores around the launches - I'd be set!
akpilot, hope to see you there! NARCON 2006 will be my first national event, too.

I may actually make it to NSL next year too, since it's in McGregor, TX, and I'm in Houston.

Tripoli Mid-Ohio has launches planned every month until the crops start growing about June.

Key word is "planned". We usually get weathered out in the winter. April and May are good bets for us. Last May's Memorial Day launch was awesome. People come from all over the midwest, Kentucky, and W. Virginia. It's a great field, with a 10,000' MSL waiver and call-ins available up to I think 16,000'.

Southern Thunder in Manchester is also within a half day's drive from St. Louis. Just run I64 east to I57 south, get on I24 east, and it'll run you straight there. I figure 6-7 hours at most. Great field, great people, and great fun. Usually takes place in May.

Back