- Oct 30, 2016
- Reaction score
So I attempted to fly my first two stage HPR at URRG last weekend and let's just say it did not go well. After countless hours developing, scrutinizing and finally implementing what I thought was a thorough checklist there was at least one issue I had not considered, the motors themselves. Although designed for 54mm, due to recent CTI motor shortages, the motor I decided to go with in the booster was a 38mm 6XL Blue. Apparently this is one of the motors with a potentially defective front bulkhead which was confirmed almost immediately upon ignition. The worst part of it all is that I found one of the approved replacement front bulkheads in my range box while cleaning up. I believe I was so caught up in all the details preping the rocket and following my checklist that I never really took a moment to step back and consider the possibility of a motor issue. I am just very thankful that the sustainer did not light as it appears as if the electronics did their job in that the altimeter never reached the launch detect altitude or the qualifying altitude for the air start. Here is a quick video of the disappointingly short flight. There was substantial damage to the booster and more than half of the electronics on board. This one hurt.