2 Stage Failure Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewW

Reaction score
So I attempted to fly my first two stage HPR at URRG last weekend and let's just say it did not go well. After countless hours developing, scrutinizing and finally implementing what I thought was a thorough checklist there was at least one issue I had not considered, the motors themselves. Although designed for 54mm, due to recent CTI motor shortages, the motor I decided to go with in the booster was a 38mm 6XL Blue. Apparently this is one of the motors with a potentially defective front bulkhead which was confirmed almost immediately upon ignition. The worst part of it all is that I found one of the approved replacement front bulkheads in my range box while cleaning up. I believe I was so caught up in all the details preping the rocket and following my checklist that I never really took a moment to step back and consider the possibility of a motor issue. I am just very thankful that the sustainer did not light as it appears as if the electronics did their job in that the altimeter never reached the launch detect altitude or the qualifying altitude for the air start. Here is a quick video of the disappointingly short flight. There was substantial damage to the booster and more than half of the electronics on board. This one hurt.
[YOUTUBE]J1OZs44wK74[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, but the video was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Sorry to read/see this. You put a lot of hard work and love into that rocket. I hope your repairs/replacements go quickly and the new finished product is better than the original.
Thanks for sharing.

Ouch. Sorry to see that.

Was that a CATO, or did the coupler fail? Looked to me like the motor in the booster was fine, the coupler failed, and the now unstable booster started to tumble. If that's the case, you might want to beef up the coupler as you're repairing the booster.

No it was most definitely a motor failure. The interstage was completely fine. You can actually see in the video the blue flame coming out of the wrong end of the booster.

I managed to get some photos of it burning on both ends, was looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully it wasnt a total loss and it can be repaired.

That is a great shot! Any chance I can get the full res version from you?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting your video. Sorry for your loss. It really helps the community when members post failures as well as their successes. Good luck on the rebuild!

All the best,
Bob

Back