16.5" Diablo for LDRS...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
Well, Scott planted the seed and is making me a nosecone when he makes his Thor-X NC... He's having a 16" set of Diablo Decals made up as well...

I'm thinking I'm going to do a different motor configuration though...
6" central mount with three outboards, 75mm, or possibly 4".

Mark Clark is donating me a lot of Aluminum honeycomb for the fins and will do them similar to my 8" Red Max fins (Hopefully that will be at LDRS as well...)

Guess I like short, fat rockets... hmmm...

I'll do as Scott and post pics once construction starts...

Ron

Looking forward to the build pics Ron. That and with Scott making your nose cone, maybe the project will be done within a few years ;-0 LOL.

Do I see the possibility of an Up Scaled BSD Kit drag race (although some what uneven in stature) it would be cool !

At least you guys are doing it right and getting sponsors/donations!

Anyone wanna donate to my TRA L2 project?? :D

Roy, we'll see what happens... I'm planning on flying mine on one of the EX days on my own motors. Scott's planning on flying his on a commercial day with AMW motors and if everything works, doing it again on a Sparky 'N' and 3 'M's of my design on one of the EX days... so it's possible.

Fore Check... I'm kind of a helper for Scott at Just Rockets, so I get a deal on stuff, but still have to pay for the majority of it. If AMW will put up the motors as sponsor deal, very cool, but they'll be for the Thor-X... My Diablo will go up on my own motors, of which I'll have to make the casings, bulkheads, nozzles and propellant. Scott is doing me the nosecone and decals at cost, and Mark Clark is giving me a bunch of Aluminum honeycomb that I'll use to make light weight SUPER stiff fins. I'm not planning on 'glassing the airframe, but might put one wrap on it to aid in finishing. This will more than likely be a once in a lifetime deal for me, but if it's turns out to be stout enough and all go well, maybe I'll fly it at Balls on a 'P'... ;)

Ron

Originally posted by rdbones
Looking forward to the build pics Ron. That and with Scott making your nose cone, maybe the project will be done within a few years ;-0 LOL.

Do I see the possibility of an Up Scaled BSD Kit drag race (although some what uneven in stature) it would be cool !

I know a guy who has an 8" Thor. Just needs decals!

GEEE Roy, That's kinda off the cuff after all Ive done for you???? Have you missed something? Did I short you something? Is it my fault you have two unmailable address's? Sorry Scott will work!!!!!! :kill:

I know a guy who has an 8" Thor. Just needs decals! Chris, I told you all you have to do is call me or email me. So lets try again. My shop 702 655 2538 my cell 702 683 5814 or my email [email protected]. But I have this funny little feeling that you guys from ROC will be seeing me more offten once AMW gets their CA fire marshal certs. Lots, And lots or pre-orders are hanging. Scott :rolleyes:

:mad: Scott - you miss understood ! I have nothing but great things to say about your service :D :D

Wht I am referring to is the fact that Ron has been working on the Red Max for what seems like an eternity. The part that he has not finished is the Nose Cone! Since you are making the nose cone for the Up-Scale Diablo he can get it finished in a decent amount of time !

My first post in this thread was in NO way meant to be a slam against you or Just Rockets, it was a jab (how be it - somewhat an inside joke) at Ron.

My appologies if it was mis-understood.

this is very cool!!!!

A about 11 foot tall Diablo, with a 4 1/2 foot fin span

NOW THAT"S A "DIABLO"!!!

somehow watching the traffic coming in will be a grin. Some of these rocket will have to come in on trailers or on top of cars(trucks).

now let me recount this thing:
a 16.5 " Diablo 11 feet tall
a 16.5" Thor-X @ 30 feet
and a Diab-GLo drag race

is this a BSD year for LDRS? yea, this is going to be alot of fun!

:)

Originally posted by just rockets
I know a guy who has an 8" Thor. Just needs decals! Chris, I told you all you have to do is call me or email me. So lets try again. My shop 702 655 2538 my cell 702 683 5814 or my email [email protected]. But I have this funny little feeling that you guys from ROC will be seeing me more offten once AMW gets their CA fire marshal certs. Lots, And lots or pre-orders are hanging. Scott :rolleyes:

Scott,

I shot you an e-mail a while back ago, but I think things got a bit crazy recently. I'll get you the measurements this weekend so we can work on a quote for some decals.

I also just in!!!!

Hillbilly Rocketry is building a 16.5" Classic Thor for LDRS

this the year of really BIG Rockets, WOW

I can't Wait!!!!!! :)

back to work, as Scott cracks the whip in the background

Hey Chris, I never got that email. I can get the mesaurements from my vinyl guy cause with it being on a CAD he just inters the tube size and it sizes the vinyl to the tube. We did a run of 6" Thor vinyl and it came out perfect. I'm going over there this Monday and I'll have them ordered. Scott

I have had a few emails about more 16.5" BSD kits for LDRS. Is there anyone that would like to do a 16.5" of any of the following kits? Little John, Apache, Horizion and 54 Special which would look like one but would have to change the vinyl to 98 Special or maybe 150 Special (CTI O5100). All four of those would be great to see at LDRS not to mention pretty darn good advertising for me. To help out anyone that is truely interested I would give you the 16.5" Nose cone and vinyl for cost and a really great deal you your motor selection and the body tube is concrete tube at Home Depot. So lets put something together. Scott

Originally posted by SpartaChris
Sheesh! Mine is gonna look like an infant!

hey Size is all in the minds eye

you could be small

thor_2.jpg

:)

Hey Chris, I never got that email. I can get the mesaurements from my vinyl guy cause with it being on a CAD he just inters the tube size and it sizes the vinyl to the tube. We did a run of 6" Thor vinyl and it came out perfect. I'm going over there this Monday and I'll have them ordered. Scott

OK.. How much? I used sonotube for my airframe, so I don't know if that will throw off the measurements or not since this isn't an exact 8" diameter.

I have had a few emails about more 16.5" BSD kits for LDRS. Is there anyone that would like to do a 16.5" of any of the following kits? Little John, Apache, Horizion and 54 Special which would look like one but would have to change the vinyl to 98 Special or maybe 150 Special (CTI O5100). All four of those would be great to see at LDRS not to mention pretty darn good advertising for me. To help out anyone that is truely interested I would give you the 16.5" Nose cone and vinyl for cost and a really great deal you your motor selection and the body tube is concrete tube at Home Depot. So lets put something together. Scott

I'm talking to my group about the BSD Horizon. I love that bird!

What is this? Oh, I get it! it's an igniter for the 16.5" Thor-X made to look like a baby Thor. Just kidding Don, It looks great. Maybe you could mount one of those booster vision cameras on it and launch it right next to the Thor X hey Size is all in the minds eye

What is this? Oh, I get it! it's an igniter for the 16.5" Thor-X made to look like a baby Thor. Just kidding Don, It looks great. Maybe you could mount one of those booster vision cameras on it and launch it right next to the Thor X hey Size is all in the minds eye

Hey now, no knocking my Baby 1" thor, I think will have to try a little bigger Thor for the Camera, it would kill this one, hahahahaha

At the moment, here's the plan for the fins...
Composite of two layers of 1/2" Aluminum Honeycomb sandwiching
a layer of 'glass... this assembly with then be sandwiched by 1/8" ply.
Should make for some incredibly stiff and lightweight fins!
We're undecided at this point on how to finish the edges of the fins, but think we've got a great way to make them removable.
We're planning on purchasing some 1.250" wide aluminum channeling and attaching it to the 6" central MMT. There will be notches cut in the middle and bottom CR's to support the channel, then stainless screws run into inserts in the bottom and top edges of the fins. Once fins are constructed, they'll be wrapped in a layer of 'glass.
This is a derivative of how the Hillbilly guys did the Gila Monster, but should be much lighter weight and simpler to do. Being as the Diablo is pretty short, we want to keep the aft end as light as possible.
I'm thinking we'll do some kind of reinforcement of the fin slots in the airframe as well.
The first couple of inches out from the root edge of the fin will more than likely be hardwood for the threaded inserts to handle the screws coming in from the middle and bottom CR's. The top CR will be removable to access the AV bays and insert and remove the fin screws.

Not sure how clear all this was...once we get building, I'll be posting pics...

Ron

I see that you changed your signature !

Congrats on certing L-2 X 2 !!

Glad to have you back in the fold

Thanks Roy!!
See you next weekend...
Was hoping to make it to SARA this weekend, but the wifes
sister is in town... :eek:

Ron

Your nose cone has been started. The mold release has been sprayed and was going to to the gel-coat but it got to cold. It will be sprayed in the morning. Am in hopes to bring it to ARG.

OK, It's sprayed and laid. Tomorrow the two halfs will go toghether. All looks great. I think I told you that back in my 20's, I worked in the production room for a comany here in Vegas called Barneys Corvettes unlimited. I tried a lot of different ways to apply glass and the resin. The very best way is a production gun, But those star at around $8K. Today I bought a new spray gun with a larger tip that is for spraying resins mixed with gel-coat. It worked great. One note, Before you start the lay up, Dump and rinse the gun. I thought because it was cool out I would have plenty of time after the lay up to clean up? OOOPS! It cured to fast and the gun is history. So thats a lesson worth $300.00. Scott :kill

Well, it's been awhile... took us a LONG time to actually get started on building her. It just wasn't quite hot enough... it's been 105-108f the last couple of weekends, so it was perfect!! (NOT!!!!)

Fins are roughed... one layer of aluminum honeycomb sandwiched by
1/8" ply...this appears to be more than stout enough...fins are jsut over 3/4" thick. Airframe is slotted, coupler installed in booster, main airframe cut and trimmed to length, adjustable noseweight setup is curing in the NC right now.
Next weekend should be the final building weekend... then we'll get to finishing.
This coming week, I'll route out the aluminum all the way around the fins 1/2" back from the edges, then route a piece of 1x1 pine to slip in between the skins to butt up against the aluminum. Once that's cured, I'll run all the external edges over the router table with a round off bit to give them a nice edge.
Then just sand, a bit of body filler to fill any imperfections, and then next weekend we'll glue them in, and then 2-part foam the entire booster.

At this point, it looks like I'll be doing my L3 on her on saturday at LDRS, then flying her on a Red O-4000 provided by Conway Stevens on Monday.
I'll be doing single deployment at apogee using an ARTS2 and a Skyward FCS for Backup.

Rich should be emailing me pics we took over the past few weeks tonight and I'll post them here as soon as I get them...

Ron

Here's one of my two cohorts, Dave, and I hamming it up for the camera...
We're standing with the 6" Motor Mount...

Back