100% carbon fiber mpr 2"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidowmakerRun

Reaction score
Bob from Atlanta, Georgia.

Used to do Estes rockets as a kid...i am 44 now, and have 2 boys...i am building a 2 inch diameter 100% carbon fiber rocket to use D/E-12 to F44 motors , 24mm. Should be right around 16oz without motor or less, hopefully.

With those motors, you absolutely don't need c.f. BT-60, BT-70, or pretty much anything in between will handle them, no problem. LOC and AeroTech both make HPR kits with (slightly different) 1.9-inch cardboard tubes. Full-c.f. at 2 inch isn't really warranted until you have 38mm motors. If you just want to use c.f. because c.f., that's totally cool.

Get into OpenRocket and build your rocket there first, if you haven't. Then post your sim file and let people have a look at it.

Bob from Atlanta, Georgia.

Used to do Estes rockets as a kid...i am 44 now, and have 2 boys...i am building a 2 inch diameter 100% carbon fiber rocket to use D/E-12 to F44 motors , 24mm. Should be right around 16oz without motor or less, hopefully.
Should be a fun project, and a cool way to build CF without breaking the bank on motors and flight testing.

Have you got any other builds?

With those motors, you absolutely don't need c.f. BT-60, BT-70, or pretty much anything in between will handle them, no problem. LOC and AeroTech both make HPR kits with (slightly different) 1.9-inch cardboard tubes. Full-c.f. at 2 inch isn't really warranted until you have 38mm motors. If you just want to use c.f. because c.f., that's totally cool.

Get into OpenRocket and build your rocket there first, if you haven't. Then post your sim file and let people have a look at it.
I do have a file in open rocket, if i remember i will post it. Yes, carbon fiber just because i want to build 1 rocket that will last forever.

If it’s not past that point, you might want to use a 29mm motor mount.
Highly recommend you consider this. A phrase you'll likely hear multiple times is "you can always adapt down". With a 29mm motor mount you will greatly expand the choices you have to fly. There are multiple E-G motor options available for the Aerotech 29mm hobbyline motor plus you have many more with single use 29mm Quest motors. That's on top of all the 24mm motors available.

Last edited:
Highly recommend you consider this. A phrase you'll likely hear multiple times is "you can always adapt down". With a 29mm motor mount you will greatly expand the choices you have to fly. There are multiple E-G motor options available for the Aerotech 29mm hobbyline motor plus you have many more with single use 29mm Quest motors. That's on top of all the 24mm motors available.
Absolutely agree. In fact, a properly-built 2" carbon fiber rocket could easily handle a 38mm J motor if one wanted to do a machbuster flight. So even a 38mm motor mount would not be amiss.

Just be careful going to higher altitudes. I know with my eyes, if this was above 2500ft it would be very difficult to see. And with all carbon using trackers won't work very well. It might last forever, but you still have to find it!

The .ork shows 1.63 diameter. That's BT-60. You could buy a High Flier XL and hack up the fins to look like what you've modeled. It would look just about like it. That's $15 at Hobby Lobby and you can start tonight if there's one near you. If you want something more durable, look into the LOC Park Flyer series of 1.6-inch kits. Made with 38mm motor mount tubing for the airframe, ply fins, etc.

If you really want to do composites, your design looks fine. It's kinda heavy for small power, but you can have a lot of fun with 24mm motors. The Quest E35 is one of the best deals going in MPR motors right now. (AC Supply if you don't know them already.) This thing would eat them all day long. You can play with the AT Hobbyline series up to F35 for reloadables. If this plan is what you want to do, you're on a good track.

I don't think a forever rocket is realistic. They take hits and dings, unless you only land in a field of long grass, but not so long you have any trouble finding it. You'll at least end up repainting it from time to time if you want it to look nice. A well build LOC Park Flyer will last until you put it on the shelf and build something else just because you feel like it. No reason you couldn't have 100 flights on one.

I decided on building a 6 tube fin Kraken rocket. See attached open rocket file for the design.

Attachments

• 6_fin_Carbon_Kraken.ork.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back