10" diameter JayHawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOO HOO the day I have been waiting for.. LOL

Sather. Very true about the wet or dry. Wet is GREAT for big stuff, Dry is best for smaller. I can't wait to see that all done.

See you at MWP!

continuing progress on decal application...

progress on decals.jpg

I'm with ya' on that one, Paul! I'm just not sure I can help carry it to the away cell...

I see where you need to go with next year's project.

I like his quote... "Getting reasonable cost access [to space] for small spacecraft is really critical," said Kris Kimel, president of Kentucky Space, "We need to get that kind of access that allows us to relentlessly innovate and quite frankly to fail more."

I'm already there!

I like his quote... "Getting reasonable cost access [to space] for small spacecraft is really critical," said Kris Kimel, president of Kentucky Space, "We need to get that kind of access that allows us to relentlessly innovate and quite frankly to fail more."

I'm already there!

I'm a step ahead of you. Back in the August 2005 issue of Extreme Rocketry you'll find a little article I wrote titled "Opportunity for Failure", in which I wrote

Sylvie369 in Extreme Rocketry: said:
Perhaps the most important, and undervalued aspect of problem-based learning is the simple fact that when you do a project things can go wrong and if they do, you'll know it. Much of education - even physical science education - involves work that carries no real risk of failure, and therefore offers no real opportunity for accomplishment.

I guess you could say I was playing to my strengths. <grin>

Chad said:
I'm with ya' on that one, Paul! I'm just not sure I can help carry it to the away cell...

I'm assuming he'll fly it in from the nearest runway long enough to handle an F-15.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sylvie369 in Extreme Rocketry:
Perhaps the most important, and undervalued aspect of problem-based learning is the simple fact that when you do a project things can go wrong and if they do, you'll know it. Much of education - even physical science education - involves work that carries no real risk of failure, and therefore offers no real opportunity for accomplishment.

Absolutely... mistakes happen and we learn. Your credibility is much more important than your infallibility. This is a good example from NASA's archives...

https://www.nasa.gov/offices/oce/appel/ask-academy/issues/ask-oce/AO_1-6_F_mistakes.html

Nobody understood better than the legendary Dr. Wernher Von Braun that mistakes are an unavoidable fact of life in aerospace development.

It looks perfect Sather great job!

Which end is going to be sticking out of the sunroof on the way down? ;)

As of today I am still go flight for coming down on Sat. Let me know if you need anything.

Dan

Which end is going to be sticking out of the sunroof on the way down?

The president of the Budget Committee was a little horrified with my solution to transporting the Death Star, so she approved the acquisition of a small covered trailer like Jay's. Problem solved. I may add some shelves and/or cabinetry over time. Thank you, honey!

transport difficulties.jpeg

6 x 10 V-front Wells Cargo tote wagon.jpg

For size reference, the rocket stands 12' 2" tall (146"), the cabinets are 8' tall, and the peak of the ceiling in my living room is 14'. I was thinking about leaving it here, maybe hanging some lights on it for Christmas, but we'll have to see. Some of my home decorating ideas get vetoed. Anyway, almost done with decals. Taking my time here, as I need everything to line up around the perimeter, and I don't get to change my mind once they are on. I looked at a bunch of Jayhawk photos, as well as the decal placement page from the Estes kit instructions (Pro Series kit 2045). I took artistic license in a few areas, as my rocket differs somewhat from the prototype, similar to the Polecat and Madcow versions. Most notably, not including the wire tunnel down the back allowed me to use some of the front-side decals on BOTH sides. (The bottom segmented stripe, the vertical NAVY, and the four DANGER placards.) That way, either side can face out on the pad, depending on whether I use the 1500 button side or the unistrut button side.

decal placement, front view.jpg

decal placement, side view.jpg

decal placement, Estes Jayhawk.png

Last edited:
Better finish up wiith those decals. You'll want to let the Future Finish to dry for at least 8 hours before transporting it.

SMR,

Stunning Jayhawk!

I intend to film Midwest Power 8 in it's entirety, and I will surely be filming your project! :)

See you Friday outside of Princeton!

Justin

Sather.

I gotta say it looks FABULOUS..

I don't SAther wanted to say it. but we did have some decal issues. seems I was a little off on scale on a couple of the details. Most of them worked out good, but it was hard to find really good scale data when I created them.

We got it figured out, and I will be delivering the changes to him at the MWP. so you guys are just going to have to wait to see it 100% done.

Thanks Sather for the input to make the set of decals what it really needs to be!

I can't WAIT to see the rocket up close and personal..

I don't think Sather wanted to say it, but we did have some decal issues. Seems I was a little off on scale on a couple of the details. Most of them worked out good, but it was hard to find really good scale data when I created them.

We got it figured out, and I will be delivering the changes to him at the MWP. so you guys are just going to have to wait to see it 100% done.

Well, I've had the stickers for six months, so I should have noticed way earlier. They are awesome decals and a lot of 'em. There were a couple stripes I had to trim a bit with an X-Acto knife, and Mark cut me replacements for the lettering that I just couldn't get to fit (NAVY on the wing, serial number on the fuselage, etc...). Everything else was perfect and I am extremely pleased with the quality and Mark's follow-up service. Just going to have to put the Future Finish on post-flight.

Last edited:
Loaded weight is 152 pounds with 25 pounds of lead ballast in the nose to bring the Cg forward to 82.93". With a Cp of 93.18" this is exactly one caliber of stability. On the N3180 Red Lightning she should get to 5,237' in 19.62 seconds. And under the three 192" Spherachutes, the final descent rate should be a gentle 13 ft/sec for the main body, with the nose cone at 15 ft/sec under the 120" drogue.

T minus 4 days.

Jayhawk Rocksim.jpg

Jayhawk simulations, final.png

Last edited:
Actually talked to the family about coming out but I don't think it will happen. I'll be waiting for any and all video to be posted so I can see how it went!

It looks FABULOUS!

Final weight is in at 124 pounds. 16 pounds of lead ballast in the nose brings the Cg forward to 82.93". With a Cp of 93.18" this is exactly one caliber of stability. On the N3180 Red Lightning she should get to 7,228' in 22.15 seconds. And under the three 192" Spherachutes, the final descent rate should be a gentle 13.7 ft/sec.

T minus 4 days.

Looks like you are about ready to go.

I got my rockets packed up my suitcase ready to go. I think I am ready myself!

Can't wait to meet you guys face to face!

A NEW TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will have so much more room for activities!

I don't know which I like more the rocket or the trailer...........both

Dan

Speaking of new trailers..

I just sent out a set f decals for a rocketeer's trailer. big enough to cover about 2/3 of that trailer.. I'll wait until he posts pictures. but it is going to be WAY COOL

If you guys want to LOGO them up. I can hook you up.

Sorry for the hi-jack

Actually talked to the family about coming out but I don't think it will happen. I'll be waiting for any and all video to be posted so I can see how it went!

Wish you could come. Hopefully we'll get some good pictures and video. It has been a real community effort, thanks to all those who followed and/or participated in this build thread. It has been an adventure. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Also glad I ended up with some extra time to catch up with some of the small details. I built the motor today (27 pounds!), packed my 3 main parachutes in their deployment bags, checked my Cg, ran some updated simulations, foamed the nose cone, glassed in the nose cone bulkhead, and charged up the batteries for the GearCams. Tomorrow I need to finish the cradle, GearCam pylons, print up the consolidated checklist, and start packing.

The weather for Saturday is looking good, so still planning on launching around 2:00 PM. I would like to get a group photo of everybody on the deployment and recovery support teams at noon, so swing by on Friday (or Sat AM) to pick up your T-shirts.

building the motor.jpg

charging the GearCams.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-packing day (Wednesday)... getting caught up by actual packing day (Thursday)... to be organized for travel day (Friday)... to be ready for flying day (Saturday). Assembled motor and packed deployment bags set out by door, yardstick for size reference. GearCam pylons completed and trial fit, pending paint. Have also been glassing the inside of the nose cone, a possible weak link, as it has a LOT of weight in it to manage in boost and recovery deployment phases.

98:15360 and deployment bags.jpg

GearCam pylons trial fit.jpg

Pre-packing day (Wednesday)... getting caught up by actual packing day (Thursday)... to be organized for travel day (Friday)... to be ready for flying day (Saturday). Assembled motor and packed deployment bags set out by door, yardstick for size reference. GearCam pylons completed and trial fit, pending paint. Have also been glassing the inside of the nose cone, a possible weak link, as it has a LOT of weight in it to manage in boost and recovery deployment phases.

Sather, probably better off than me. Although I'll be doing some pre-packing/staging tonight, I have to pick up a U-Haul tomorrow morning and design and build some type of racking system for seven large rockets in about 4 hours :y: (wanting to leave my house at 2pm tomorrow). /Tim

Last edited:
Here I'm building motors, testing electronics, making a packing checklist, and telling people "no, I can't meet with you on Friday, and no, I won't be done with that until next week".

I have to pick up a U-Haul tomorrow morning and design and build some type of racking system for seven large rockets in about 4 hours

You can make anything out of PVC... Tinker Toys for adults.

PVC rack.jpg

Does the rack fit in the new trailer?

Well, it physically fits, but I built it a few years ago, before the trailer was imagined, and it wouldn't be a good mobile rack. The legs are close together (it would tip over), and the arms are level (stuff would roll off). It's really just for basement storage. I have until LDRS next September to come up with a new one. I may just copy Tim D. :)

Well, it physically fits, but I built it a few years ago, before the trailer was imagined, and it wouldn't be a good mobile rack. The legs are close together (it would tip over), and the arms are level (stuff would roll off). It's really just for basement storage. I have until LDRS next September to come up with a new one. I may just copy Tim D. :)

No you won't want to do that; mine is going to be a minimal setup as it's in a U-Haul. Sadly I had acquired a nice big dual axle trailer for a business project last year that I was going to reappropriate for rocketry, but alas, could not get approval the "home comptroller." Did get a good deal on it though and was able to sell it for a $1000 profit.

Back