10" diameter JayHawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sather,

Please feel free to post the video that I spliced together for you showing my footage as well... ;)

Thank you sir,

Sather,

Please feel free to post the video that I spliced together for you showing my footage as well... ;)

Thank you sir,

Here is a link to the full, professional quality video Justin put together. Includes preflight setup and interview, launch and recovery, and onboard video highlights. Justin does great work, we are blessed to have him document our QCRS launches, and honored to have him as a friend. Thank you, Justin!

Jayhawk flight #3 full video

Last edited:
Here is the full, professional quality video Justin put together. Includes preflight setup and interview, launch and recovery, and onboard video highlights. Justin does great work, we are blessed to have him document our QCRS launches, and honored to have him as a friend. Thank you, Justin!

Thank you for the very kind words sir! :cheers:

IMG_0710.JPG Paragraph 2 of the NAR High Power Safety Code reads...

2. Materials. I will use only lightweight materials such as paper, wood, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, or when necessary ductile metal, for the construction of my rocket.

"Ductile" is defined as = (of a metal) able to be drawn out into a thin wire, able to be deformed without losing toughness; pliable, not brittle.
"Malleable" probably a better definition for our purposes = (of a metal) able to be hammered or pressed permanently out of shape without breaking or cracking.

Where this comes in play? A 135 pound recovery weight under approx 10G opening shock of the 10' drogue gives a momentary 1,350 pound tension to the stainless brackets of my Defy Gravity Tether. The pair on the left is new, on the right flown on the Jayhawk. Well above the design load of the links, they remained intact

Yeah, it looks pretty alarming. Worst case scenario wouldn't be too bad, though. If either link had failed, it would merely have released the deployment bag early and the mains would have come out at apogee. Super happy with the Defy Gravity Tether, well designed and made. And it takes a beating!

Looks awesome, I you need any super technical information on the Jayhawk, here is contact information for the foremost expert on that model. Doug Frost <[email protected]> He has built many of these for NAR scale competition and has taken first place numerous times.

The flight on the N5600 is still one of my favorite flights I've ever filmed. :)

Mine, too. Proof that CTI listens. Jeroen made that motor possible based only on a request to fill a gap in the thrust lineup of 6 grain motors. Great guy, was a frequent guest at midwest launches - always helpful and genuinely interested in what people were flying. I haven't heard from or about him since the fire. Think of him often and always wishing him the best. ♥

Mine, too. Proof that CTI listens. Jeroen made that motor possible based only on a request to fill a gap in the thrust lineup of 6 grain motors. Great guy, was a frequent guest at midwest launches - always helpful and genuinely interested in what people were flying. I haven't heard from or about him since the fire. Think of him often and always wishing him the best. ♥

I heard from Dr. J...mostly out of the blue about a year ago. He seems to be doing as well as can be expected. It made me SOOOO happy to receive an exchange from him. Nothing would make me happier that to see him on a rocket range again. Miss him!

-Eric-

Back