• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

10 96" Toroidal Parachutes - $150 each [2 AVAILABLE]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaHybrids

Reaction score
I have ten (10) 96" Toroidal Parachutes that I'm selling. I had a contract to make them for a local company and then their contract got cancelled. These chutes are not yet made, but I have them all cut out. They will be ready March to mid-March. The colors are red, white and blue and 1.5 ounce ripstop. They are 9 panels - 3 of each color - I can sew them together any way you like. They are rated for 60 pounds, 20 feet/second at sea level. At a 5000' the rating is 50 pounds, 20 feet/second. They pack easily into 16" of 4" tubing.

I'll be selling them on a first come, first serve basis. Once I get them made, I will send them out in the order contacted and you can then send me the funds for them at that time.

Please post below if you would like one and I'll keep an updated list in this post.

Edward

[1 - TIM THOMAS]
[2 - JDCLUSTER]
[3 - HYBRID33]
[4 - DWATKINS]
[5 - CWBULLET]
[6 - ED DAWSON]
[7 - BEEZWAX]
[8 - MARK ROSE]

Last edited:
Ed - do you have stats for 15'/sec? Do you have pictures of the design mock up? I'm interested.

Yes, for 15 feet/second at 5000' it is 30 pounds, for 15 feet/second at sea level it is 35 pounds. I actually have a picture of the parchute - though not in the correct colors.

View attachment 111872

Edward

Ed Count me in for one! GUYS! I have seen these chutes, TOP QUALITY!!!!
Tim Thomas L3

My My those went quick. :y: Glad I got to split the cost of one with somebody. :handshake: Between the two of us we have Fruity Chutes Iris Ultras from 36" to 84" and now a 96". :grin: Don't think we will need anything larger than that. :wink:

I'm very surprised - I was thinking I was going to let these gores collect dust for a while. Currently I'm making some 120" parachutes. In the future I may see if there is any interest when I'm making runs of them, and make 2-3 extra.

Edward

In late April and early May I'll be making some 120" toroidal parachutes on another contract. Would anyone be interested in those? I'll will be ordering the fabric in March. The colors will be black and yellow. The parachute has 11 panels. The descent rates are Sea Level, 95 pounds at 20 fps, 47.5 pounds at 15 fps - at 5000' it is 70 pounds at 20 fps and 35 pounds at 15 fps. Right now the contract isn't a large run and I could probably make around 5 extra ones for sale here. The price would be $240 each. They fit into 16" of 5.5" tube.

Edward

Edward

The drag equation is

Ap = (2*m*g) / (p*Cd*(v^2) )

So, since it is on the bottom and a squared term, when you increase the descent rate you decrease the surface area.

These are my conservative values that I use to compensate for the changes in density altitude. At 8800' where I fly, you can have days where the density altitude is over 13000'. Makes things drop very fast!

Edward

Me either. Edward (AlphaHybrids) hasn't logged into TRF since March 29. I hope he's okay....does anyone know him?

He has disappeared from time to time. He must have a busy job.

Last edited:
It sounds like he has completed his number needed once he gets where he is going.

Edward I see you've been on TRF a few times recently, hopefully all went well with your move. Could you take a moment to give us an update on these chutes, are they still in the works or should we make other plans?

Hey,

The parachutes are sewn, but I'm waiting on getting more suspension line material to finish them up.

Edward

Back