1:89 Scale SpaceX Falcon 9 Builders Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35280

Reaction score
Looks like some nice builder kits, BT-60 with 24mm motor mount, from Boyce Aerospace Hobbies.

I always wished TT had become popular, that seems like a great size for those with limited space. N can be nice but a bit too small for some things.

I grew up with HO Gauge but my Dad and his brothers always talked about O Gauge.

I’m a model railroader with HO and some O gauge. The rocket hobby is a temporary thing until I move into a house with a finished basement for a layout 10’ by 16, or 20’. Until then I’m looking forward to getting these kits built and launching them.

I had an HO scale in my youth, mostly TYCO stuff.
Including the continually troublesome Brass Track!
If I had the means, and things were available for the time frame I would like to model, I would do an N Scale layout.
But I don't the money, a place for (right now) it, and there isn't enough available out there for the time frame between 1910 and 1925.
Excluding the years of the Great War.
My home down was the intersection of 2 main lines (both now long gone.) and I have drawings of all the sidings and such for all area's I wish to model.
Mostly would be logging and bringing goods up from the South as Northern Lower Michigan was populated.
BT-60 sounds a bit big for HO Scale, but I have not done any research in this area.
On a layout, it might look too big, depending on how much space you have in the surrounding area to compare size with.

One post about a rocket, and NINE POSTS about model trains with nary a rocket comment in sight! 🤣 I love it!
So I grew up with big Lionel O-scale trains and HO scale Tycho stuff. To be honest I miss that hobby but I have too many going on as it is now.
As a side note, this is dang close in scale to my 1/84 scale SLS build! If the SLS survives I may need to get a Falcon builders kit to go along with it.

I just saw the cost of this in the recent edition of "Sport Rocketry"..

cough cough, (grabs heart), cough cough.. seriously?

But I guess the price includes:
  • Licensing fee to Space X
  • Repeated consultation with Space X
  • Numerous prototypes
  • Plastic molds for a small / limited run
  • Paint masks
  • Assembly
  • The fancy packaging

I just saw the cost of this in the recent edition of "Sport Rocketry"..

cough cough, (grabs heart), cough cough.. seriously?

But I guess the price includes:
  • Licensing fee to Space X
  • Repeated consultation with Space X
  • Numerous prototypes
  • Plastic molds for a small / limited run
  • Paint masks
  • Assembly
  • The fancy packaging
Plus the “wow” factor - how much will SpaceX fans pay for an accurate, flyable Falcon 9? Appears to be roughly $150 - engines not included 😉

I'm not going to badmouth their choices but I'd pick the Boyce model over this for a larger model @ half the price before I pick this.
I really hope Estes releases a builder kit for this with a smaller price tag. My reasoning is this: Would I spend that kind of money on a model rocket? Yes. Would I spend that kind of money on THIS model rocket? Sadly, no.
That's OK. Plenty of people will buy this, I am sure Estes will turn a profit on it, and I have lots of other things to keep me occupied.

Back