Fliskits - Tumbleweed Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkII

Reaction score
How does the Tumble Weed fly on a MicroMaxx II? Well, that's when the hilarity begins. Don't worry, it does boost and recover safely. I use a clothespin to stand it off about halfway up on my 1/8" launch rod to cut down on the drag loss. At ignition it shoots up completely straight. For the 3 feet or so it goes fast, and then it looks as if someone is applying brakes that have worn down pads. It coasts to a stop about 30 feet up, traveling in a perfectly vertical trajectory all the way. It stops, and then just seems to hang there in mid-air for a second or so, as if to look around and take in the view. It is still pointing straight up and has made a dead stop in the air. The image that comes to mind is of Wile E. Coyote at the moment he realizes that he has run off the edge of a cliff. Then it hits Reverse and comes straight back down to terra firma, firing the ejection charge and starting to tumble about 5 feet into the return trip. It usually bounces off the blast deflector on the pad before hitting the ground. If I can stop giggling long enough, I'll pick it up, pop a fresh motor in and do it again.

Attachments

• Tumbleweed.jpg
    Tumbleweed.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Micro-mount deployed.JPG
    Micro-mount deployed.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Back