Holey Fins & Tranny's Batman!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'know, this ain't half bad. Two trannies gone but two different body tube sizes added. It's looking less like my other stuff now (although still too similar in some ways, maybe). I like the inverted paint job (white nose and fins, dark body), looks a bit different. Launch lug situation is downright comical.
attachment.php

By the way happy birthday Gary!

lln_photo2.png

Y'know, this ain't half bad. Two trannies gone but two different body tube sizes added. It's looking less like my other stuff now (although still too similar in some ways, maybe). I like the inverted paint job (white nose and fins, dark body), looks a bit different. Launch lug situation is downright comical.
attachment.php

By the way happy birthday Gary!

I like it! That aft section is something I'm no stranger to. Take a look at this one. Thanks btw.

Ion Fighter 4.JPG

Nifty paint job on that one! Are those ping pong balls in the wings? And I'm wild-guessing a napkin ring behind the nose?

I see you found a nice comfy spot on the left strake for the lug.... I have no idea what to do with my above design, lug-wise, that wouldn't be really ugly.

Nifty paint job on that one! Are those ping pong balls in the wings? And I'm wild-guessing a napkin ring behind the nose?

I see you found a nice comfy spot on the left strake for the lug.... I have no idea what to do with my above design, lug-wise, that wouldn't be really ugly.

Actually that's a PP ball also. I just Dremeled it out to fit a BT-50 through it. Your lug situation is all to familiar to me also. That's when I have to start a little redesigning to accommodate a lug now and then. For the PP ball rocket, there are 2 lugs, one on the aft tube on the fin joint and the other centered on the strake. I couldn't hide it but in the finished model, it's hard to see. On the attached PDF, a portion of my Gyro Dragon shows where I hid the forward lug. I designed the forward fins the way they are so I could use one of them to mount the lug. Everything is black there and it really disguises that lug. I fooled the best of LCO's & RSO's with that model. They couldn't find the darn forward lug. The bottom line here is, you may have to redesign the forward fins to accommodate a lug that will line up with an aft lug at the fin joint. The forward fins will be ever so slightly off set from the main fins, but, big deal.

DSCF1997.JPG

Attachments

• Gyro with Lug.pdf
    9.2 KB · Views: 44
Hmm, I shall have to ponder this. Fortunately I have plenty of time, gotta finish my two other builds (which I've barely started) before starting another.

My attempt to set a record for most ping-pong balls in a single design:
attachment.php

Yes, it's another variation in the same theme. :facepalm:

balls.png

Last edited:
I didn't read the thread. I just Googled up "model rockets built with PP balls" in images, and found it. Maybe I should go back and take a better look. It's one of "Shrox's designs. He used to hang here a lot until he got fed up with people calling him out on his alleged inflated ego.

But honestly, your designs aren't boring at all. They are what they are...yours. FWIW, I have a boatload of designs that start off boring until I morph them into shape. It's part of the artistry of designing. If I were a brave man, I'd show you some of my most embarrassing renderings. :roll:

I just started a 13mm Mini-Bomarc build today based on this drawing:):
Plenty of transitions to make it interesting.
I'm starting to work with lighter card stock, as per Micromiesters advice, and I like it.

bomarc.jpg

Last edited:
It's one of "Shrox's designs.

My bad, it was a thread about Shrox. The rocket was by DavidQ

[QUOTE TopRamen;1581294]I just started a 13mm Mini-Bomarc build today based on this drawing:):
Plenty of transitions to make it interesting.
I'm starting to work with lighter card stock, as per Micromiesters advice, and I like it.
Looks like a lot of work too. I'm sure you'll be posting some finished pics at some point?

Thanks, I have that one printed out too, and was going to adapt and combine the two, but then I decided to shelve the build and do more research. I'm so busy with everything else buildwise right now.
I might just build the model in the drawing as a static model, or as a glider that is lifted by a recoverable bottle rocket style booster.

Thank you though.

spaceship

Mr Byrum, we both know we can hold our own when it comes to "Scratchers".

But you, you can really put the icing on the cake when it comes to applying the pigment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, heres the deal, (thanks to you) I have to come up with a scratcher for this thread. Its been itching at me since you started this thread!!!!!!!!!!!
Like I need to start another bird... :facepalm:

Last edited:
Mr Byrum, we both know we can hold our own when it comes to "Scratchers".

But you, you can really put the icing on the cake when it comes to applying the pigment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, heres the deal, (thanks to you) I have to come up with a scratcher for this thread. Its been itching at me since you started this thread!!!!!!!!!!!
Like I need to start another bird... :facepalm:

Scotty, if you had any idea how challenging that darn pigment can be for me sometimes, you'd get a good laugh for sure.

great jop :)

Thanks man.

Here is a quite literal "Holey Transition".
I thought I could use 15 minute epoxy to do this bond, so I tried, but just as I fitted the parts together, I noticed the nearly one ounce batch I had mixed up was going "Reactor Meltdown" in it's cup, so I had to stop to snap a pic' and toss it, then get new gloves and hold the pieces together by hand while taking measurements with my caliper.
Anyhow, I thought it was the epoxy, but it was my failure to remember things I've read and complacency on my part.:eek:
I had to drill all these tiny holes in my now bonded transition so that I can get some 20 minute epoxy in there now to finish saturating the FG inside.

Now THAT is one "Holey Transition":lol::

SA-5 Holey Transition Bob Smith! 2016-05-18 002.jpgSA-5 Holey Transition Bob Smith! 2016-05-18 001.jpg

Back