Mach 3.5 Loki L Altitude Record Attempt Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Dipstick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That was almost like the N10 000 vmax speed liftoffs! Beautiful!

Michael Wilson

Reaction score
Oh boy! That flight was AWESOME! The fin can still looks super after that flight too! Very well done Scott! Also I second the question about the M1378 flight.

grouch

Reaction score
I mean the flight was cool and all but what I really want to know about is that hat you are wearing. Please tell me more!

watheyak

Barnstormer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts on an M1378 flight?
Also I second the question about the M1378 flight.
Probably not an M1378 at this time. This this rocket will enjoy an early retirement, hung on the wall of my rocket room. Next on the list is a similarly constructed rocket, but 4" and a longburn motor for Balls.

How’s the GPS altitude data look?
It jives with the altimeter data. The Featherweight Tracker gave good data during the flight and was broadcast over the launch PA system. It took us right to the rocket after landing. Great system, as easy as it gets. I have yet to make a fancy KML file. I'll get to that.

I mean the flight was cool and all but what I really want to know about is that hat you are wearing. Please tell me more!
Wearing outrageous hats gets you places in our club.

It's actually a neato backpacking hat by Kavu, with a bit of Big Trouble in Little China flair.

Screenshot 2021-03-02 134822.png

HyperSonic

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That was just INCREDABLE! Exploded off the pad! If I was there, I would have given myself whiplash just trying to follow it through the sky! Faster than a speeding bullet! Amazing job Scott!!!!!

pollux

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Incredible! So great! Thank you for sharing your whole build process!

watheyak

Barnstormer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First off, I’ve received official word from the records committee that the record has been approved! Super stoked! I’ve been wanting to make this rocket and set this record since Kosdon L3000s were a thing. The technology and resources just took this long to come together.

It should be posted on the records page soon!

If you were to rebuild a similar rocket, is there anything you would change or make differently?
If I were to do this again it would be much simpler. I stated at the beginning of this thread that there were things done in this build that were over the top, overly complicated, and overly flashy. Some of that was done to test build methods (fin tip to tip), others just for some cool factor (Kevlar nose cone).

So for one, I’d do simple plate fins and a healthy fillet from high-temp Hysol epoxy or similar, with no tip to tip. Also, after thinking about it, I’m never doing a short fincan and motor diameter nosecone again. After seeing what the shockwaves did at every minor imperfection, I don’t think it makes sense aerodynamically. And it drastically increases structural complexity. Fincans are sooooo 2019.

The next project is the 4” version of this. It has a thin wall tube made by REK that will be just short of the length of the motor case, using the forward few inches of the motor case as the nosecone coupler. As short as possible, and constant diameter. There will also be a custom, high temperature nosecone to match the tube diameter.

What accounts for the large difference between accel altitude and baro altitude? Which do you believe to be correct?
Upper level winds. They were high. There was a shear layer up there where you can see the rocket make a left turn as it passes that altitude. In hindsight I maybe could have waited for better upper level winds.

I’ve also been pondering launch tower angles and high altitude rockets.

I trust the baro and GPS altitudes.

That’s it for now. On to the 4” Balls project. Thanks for watching everybody! I definitely appreciated the help, encouragement and compliments.

Last edited:

plugger

Reaction score
Also, after thinking about it, I’m never doing a short fincan and motor diameter nosecone again. After seeing what the shockwaves did at every minor imperfection, I don’t think it makes sense aerodynamically. And it drastically increases structural complexity. Fincans are sooooo 2019.
Yep, I feel the same way. I've always wondered if there was a net benefit for altitude shots with a flying case/fincan design given the added drag of the larger diameter fincan combined with the drag effects of the quite brutal 'step' the fincan has when compared to a VK NC that is flush to the rest of the airframe.

AeroAggie

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I feel I left enough altitude on the table to encourage challengers. Bring it! I’d love to see someone beat it.

Maybe someone this weekend 😉
I think you did too. I have parts on the work bench and a simulation, but work and life have conspired to delay combining those. I hope to start the build very soon with a target of late summer test flights and a record attempt at Argonia later. The field elevation won't help me there, but at least I can calibrate my sim and tweak before going to Black Rock or some other venue for a real attempt.

dvdsnyd

Reaction score
So for one, I’d do simple plate fins and a healthy fillet from high-temp Hysol epoxy or similar, with no tip to tip. Also, after thinking about it, I’m never doing a short fincan and motor diameter nosecone again. After seeing what the shockwaves did at every minor imperfection, I don’t think it makes sense aerodynamically. And it drastically increases structural complexity. Fincans are sooooo 2019.
Congrats on the successful project and record! I'm really interested in your approach for simplifying the fins. Will this be showcased in your 4" version?
Dave

watheyak

Barnstormer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks!

Who's the dork in the funny hat?

I can't believe that was the only pic I had of me holding the rocket.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
I can't believe that was the only pic I had of me holding the rocket.
I hear ya. I added “get pix of me with the rocket” to my record attempt checklist. On my last one, I just did a selfie while prepping at the pad. Fun stuff!

kbRocket

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your build techniques. Sharing your success helps the hobby advance.