Rockwell Jawstand Portable Combo Launcher with Rails & Rods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

race 58

Reaction score
Well today I finally finished my launcher project.

It uses a Rockwell Jawstand as the base and I modified it to utilize a both a 1010 and "Mini" rails as well as launch rod capability all in one very portable package.

I used a 6' and 3' piece of 1010 rail which I may change by replacing my one 6' section with 2 more 3' footers for greater ease in transporting the launcher. Each rail section has been tapped and threaded rod installed to screw the individual pieces together.
The 3rd picture shows how I mounted the rails to the Jawstand using carriage bolts nuts & wing-nuts with the Mini on the left and the 1010 on the right..

IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg

Next I added the keyless chuck I had on my camera tripod launcher to the backside so I could also use my various size launch rods when needed. Any future rockets and some of my existing ones will get rail buttons either standard or mini.
Pictures show 2 sizes of launch rods with the "coffee can" blast deflectors I made some years back for my camera tripod launcher.

IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
IMG_0512.jpg

I found a Wilton stainless steel "Cake Lifter" at Wally World and it fits perfect as the blast deflector for the rails just had to remove the handle and drill 2 holes to mount it to the rails.

IMG_0519.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg

When all assembled the 1010 rail can be moved up or down to meet the ground for better stability. I also plan to make extensions for the Jawstand feet to handle heavier rockets if I ever need that, right now it's not necessary.

The available launch guidance I will have is as follows:

1010 Rail- 7 1/2'

Mini Rail- 6'

1/4"& 3/16"
Launch rods- 6'

1/8"
Launch rod- 4'

I like the additions - have to keep this in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Race,

I was wondering how that stainless steel cake lifter holds up as a blast deflector ...........

Any experience with it yet .........

I think it sounds like a great idea and I am about to order two for my self .......

Glasspack

Race,

I was wondering how that stainless steel cake lifter holds up as a blast deflector ...........

Should be fine many have used stainless steel before with not problems and it cleans up well.

Any experience with it yet .........

See 1st post, 1st sentence posted yesterday.

I think it sounds like a great idea and I am about to order two for my self .......

Found mine at Walmart in the cake decorating section.

Glasspack...now that's a blast from the past.. at least for me...might have a different meaning to you.

Thanks
Ed

Looks good Id be worried about the footprint no being wide enough. Can you put leg extensions on it

Back