One of Preston Nobile's Skidmark Motors in action...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
Short story, good friend of mine Preston Nobile from way up north...Yah der eh!:D Gave me one of his famous L-625 Skidmarks a little while back! It's been sitting here in the bottom of the propellant pile for awhile and, i really wanted to get it out and, tear up the sky.

Well, that day came and, i went down to visit Darryl Hankes and, his BluesRocks crew down at the Sim's Farm last Sunday!

Just wanted to let him and, everyone know that it was quite a show...Stuffed it up my trusty Test Vehicle (Madcow Frenzy Massive) and, shot that pig up to respectable height for all in attendance.

I've got a link to a very short You-Tube video here...at...

https://youtu.be/3_UWePODV-w

Yes, :rolleyes: someone did find out a little too late that his SD card in the camera was full. Hence the short video.

"I will always be an ANALOG person living in a DIGITAL world...sorry."

Also, Chris Bertrand from Lexington Ky. came down to visit and, shot some great photos. Thanks Chris!:eek: My personal favorite is the chute charge(s) popping and, the flame CLEARLY visible through the opaque airframe.

"That chutes coming out the top or out the side....but, it's COMING OUT!"

The sound alone and, the long whistle (Not real evident on the video) made this quite a good show for all in attendance!
Just wanted to pass this along. *Maybe i will get a bigger Skid next time?*

Thanks again Preston!;)

View attachment 170015

View attachment 170016

View attachment 170017

Actually Tim, it's really just some soot...No "charage"...

Got my hands on some Swiss Null B grade Black Powder!:p

3...2...1...GUN-GA-DIN!:w: Somewhere in Tennessee, someone's STILL wondering what that noise was...:eek:

And now you know why Preston is my hero!

Pssst....My dad ALWAYS asks "Is that nice young man....the Cop...going to be there too? You should have been a Police Officer like him and, myself instead of driving those Semi Trucks all over the place chasing a dream.....":no:

Hey dad? what's that up there in the road:confused:

"I don't see ANYTHING....what are you talking about?":eek:

Then i GUNNED the #$@% out of that ZL-1 Camaro and, he was quiet the rest of the way home...

It looks to me that it's bare FWFG, which is translucent but far from opaque.

:surprised:

You are correct....:D

In hind sight I would probably have said..... *slightly see through-ish* as my next choice...;)

You never painted that thing!?! How long ago did I see that thing in your kitchen (and got stuck in your front yard)? More than a year ago? Or was it this winter? Either way--you're a SLACKER! :tongue:

Good point. That rocket has earned a good paint job.

I vividly remember the March flight on a CTI N-4100. That one alone would be enough to earn any rocket a paint job...

No pressure......

:surprised:

You are correct....:D

In hind sight I would probably have said..... *slightly see through-ish* as my next choice...;)

Forgive me for not critiquing your spelling, word choices or punctuation. I'm just to busy enjoying the pictures you shared. I haven't figured out how to do cool emotions icons on my IPad so I'll just insert this:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1398507532.410133.jpg

I have never seen someone capture the ej charge going off in a picture like that. It makes for a great visual when describing DD to people who ask.

If all goes well next month I will be joining the mighty "L" club ( wonder if there is such a thing) with my first "L". Still deciding the flavor.

You never painted that thing!?! How long ago did I see that thing in your kitchen (and got stuck in your front yard)? More than a year ago? Or was it this winter? Either way--you're a SLACKER! :tongue:

1. Nope, never painted the Critter.:eek:
2. You saw it last 15 months ago.:D
3. Yes, you did leave some nice ruts in the yard, that's why you've never been allowed to return....JUST KEEDING!;)
4. Yes, technically over a year ago.:p
5. Last winter.:eek:
6. "Slacker" just got back from a 16 hour day/evening/day event called *work*...That's how "Slacker" buys all these neat little toys!:p

Good point. That rocket has earned a good paint job.

I vividly remember the March flight on a CTI N-4100. That one alone would be enough to earn any rocket a paint job...

No pressure......

Et tu, Claudus? I've flown over 50,000ns through it so far. Maybe it IS time to slather some paint on it...hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

Forgive me for not critiquing your spelling, word choices or punctuation. I'm just to busy enjoying the pictures you shared. I haven't figured out how to do cool emotions icons on my IPad so I'll just insert this:

View attachment 170048

Cool emotion icon!;) "which is translucent but far from opague." The *but* in this case requires an *,* after said placement in sentence.....I'll add some more pictures shortly! Thank you for enjoying what you saw so far!:D

I have never seen someone capture the ej charge going off in a picture like that. It makes for a great visual when describing DD to people who ask.

If all goes well next month I will be joining the mighty "L" club ( wonder if there is such a thing) with my first "L". Still deciding the flavor.

Love being able to see the shadow of the flight showing on the ground.

Mind if I add the video to The Onboard Video thread?

Tesh, good luck joining the "L" Club! (Yes there REALLY is one....) The shadow was pretty awesome on this slow but, fun and, mostly FREE flight!:p
You are more than welcome too add this video to that thread, i didn't even know it existied....Might want too check it out....:cool:

Yes, i DO post like i talk....Lots of dead air and, the occasional exclamation of words. I find that HUMOR and, humility are great virtues...
If i post one of these though: ":mad:" then, i might be simulating the throwing of a half lit or fully light cigarette in someones general direction.

That one rarely gets used...

Tesh, good luck joining the "L" Club! (Yes there REALLY is one....) The shadow was pretty awesome on this slow but, fun and, mostly FREE flight!:p
You are more than welcome too add this video to that thread, i didn't even know it existied....Might want too check it out....:cool:

I've added it. Hope you check out the thread, I think it's got some cool vids.

All The Best!
Jim

Silly question Jim...

Were you a GLCM troop?

I did EIGHT exciting years up at Minot AFB working on the Minuteman 3 in the MMT shop, MHT shop and, then finally Job Controller...

What a long strange trip it's been since.;)

What are the odds TWO Ex Air Force Missile guys are still playing with *smaller toys* out there? WHOOOOOAAAAAA!:surprised:

Silly question Jim...

Were you a GLCM troop?

I did EIGHT exciting years up at Minot AFB working on the Minuteman 3 in the MMT shop, MHT shop and, then finally Job Controller...

What a long strange trip it's been since.;)

What are the odds TWO Ex Air Force Missile guys are still playing with *smaller toys* out there? WHOOOOOAAAAAA!:surprised:

No I wasn't. My guided missile experience was loading AIM-9 missiles on Aardvarks and/or repairing the weapons release systems of the same.

Nice motor! That IS a pretty cool shot of the main charge going off...

Later!

--Coop

Gus-

Glad the motor was a success for you......maybe I could whip you up a 5 grain 75mm sparky for MWP this year!! Gotta buy some more Ti sponge I guess!!! What was the weight of the Frenzie if you can recall with that motor combo?

Preston

It was a great day to be out flying. I witnessed my first L, M, and N flights and got to take some great photos of them all.

Gus, thanks for passing on a bit of knowledge to help prepare me for my HPR quest. Glad you liked the photos!

I'm wondering how long the flash from that burning powder lasted? Seems like I got an incredibly lucky shot of the ejection charge going off!

Chris

Was that an N skid? Those motors are so impressive, I will fly one one day

That was a very cool video!!! Gotta love skid marks:)

Me two! Would you believe some people don't like them...:confused: Their just *showy*, *fireworks*, *down on power*...etc..etc...:rant: If i only had one type of reload to fly for the rest of my days it would be Skidmarks!:D
The answer is simple: I'm NOT trying to go into space, we've already been to the moon and, for some reason....I really like things that are showy, loud and, obnoxious...

Except my women...:eek:

Gus-

Glad the motor was a success for you......maybe I could whip you up a 5 grain 75mm sparky for MWP this year!! Gotta buy some more Ti sponge I guess!!! What was the weight of the Frenzie if you can recall with that motor combo?

Preston i did not have a scale to weigh it on but, i would say somewhere in the 35-40# range (It was built stout for testing)...Remember it had a camera mounted to it's side so that took some altitude out too.
Man...that thing echoed all throughout "Thunder Valley"!;)

It was a great day to be out flying. I witnessed my first L, M, and N flights and got to take some great photos of them all.

Gus, thanks for passing on a bit of knowledge to help prepare me for my HPR quest. Glad you liked the photos!

I'm wondering how long the flash from that burning powder lasted? Seems like I got an incredibly lucky shot of the ejection charge going off!

Chris

Chris, once again great too meet you and, the family!:D Knowledge is free and, for some people it can be given wrongly. I do have a unique sense of humor but, i'm VERY serious when i do give out help or advice.
Some (rare) types will always pull your leg or mess with you but, i believe the worst thing you can do is do that knowingly and, watch a person fail over and, over again to the point of final frustration and, moving on.

These are simply toys...sometimes dangerous ones. With greater power comes the responsibility unto yourself and, the safety of others to do it right or don't do it at all.

I think you got real lucky on that flash shot but, what luck it was!:) See you on the Sod on of these Sundays down the road!

Was that an N skid? Those motors are so impressive, I will fly one one day

Gerbmeister, it was an L-625 Skidmark, i'm guessing around 2600-2700ns. total. Very close to the AMW L-666 Skidmark that i'm sure ;) Preston may be trying to emulate...
It was a DAMN good replacement in the same AMW case as its original inspiration....above...................:point:

For Gerb!;)

Previously mentioned *Camera Rocket* on a REALLY big M Skidmark...a couple of years ago.
View attachment 170925

Neat huh?! :D

Same Rocket again on pretty big N motor a month and, a half back...

View attachment 170926

Boring.....! :p

How about my "Trashcan". A Gizmo XL on an N Skidmark...52" Rocket, 49.25" of motor...

View attachment 170927

It was as if the ground was EXPLODING around itself...

*All photos by Dr. David "Rockin" Reese.*:cool:

Back