New scratch build, now "Binary Effusion"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the fins pinned, it was easy to cut them out. I always use the bandsaw's fence to cut the tabs, to make sure they're straight. Match sanding was done on a stationary belt sander. I also rounded the leading edges on the sander.

08_fins.jpg

09_fins.jpg

10_fins.jpg

11_fins.jpg

12_fins.jpg

13_fins.jpg

14_fins.jpg

15_fins.jpg

16_fins.jpg

17_fins.jpg

Last edited:
I cut the centering rings out with a 4-1/4" hole saw. I made a mistake with the centering rings for the inner tube. I cut the center holes out before I sized the OD on the lathe. So I had to cut two more. I used 3/16" plywood for those, and 1/4" plywood for the motor mount rings. Using the template from Open Rocket, I marked the locations for the two 29mm motor tubes.

18_centering_rings.jpg

19_centering_rings.jpg

20_centering_rings.jpg

21_centering_rings.jpg

22_centering_rings.jpg

23_centering_rings.jpg

24_centering_rings.jpg

I had a length of LOC 3.1" tubing, so I cut a 6" long section for the inner tube. I had cut the hole in the centering rings with a 3" hole saw, and I sanded them to fit with a Dremel. After sanding the tube with 80 grit, I epoxied the rings to the ends.

25_inner_tube.jpg

26_inner_tube.jpg

27_inner_tube.jpg

28_inner_tube.jpg

29_inner_tube.jpg

30_inner_tube.jpg

31_inner_tube.jpg

32_inner_tube.jpg

33_inner_tube.jpg

I wanted to make sure the centering rings stayed aligned when I cut the holes for the motor tubes. So I put a 1/4" bolt through the pilot hole from the hole saw, then measured and drilled the 3/16" holes for the tee nuts. I put 10-32 screws through the 3/16" holes, then removed the 1/4" bolt to make room for the hole saw. I cut 1-3/16" holes for the motor tubes, then sanded them to fit with the Dremel.

36_centering_rings.jpg

37_centering_rings.jpg

38_centering_rings.jpg

39_centering_rings.jpg

40_centering_rings.jpg

41_centering_rings.jpg

42_centering_rings.jpg

43_centering_rings.jpg

44_centering_rings.jpg

45_centering_rings.jpg

I have watched many of your build threads and it just amazes me on how easy you make it look...envious of the workshop!

The tools make it look easy, not me. But I appreciate the compliment.

Red, Yellow and Black are Awesome Colors!!!! Can't get any better than that.

Another awesome thread build Captain. Educational and detailed, color scheme looking good as well. Have you thought about what motors your going to use for maiden voyage?

as for the binery code, I'd go with the top one(first one you posted)....it looks more 80's computer like.

I decided to go with the first binary decal. I wanted it to be a little understated, not so bold.

Another awesome thread build Captain. Educational and detailed, color scheme looking good as well. Have you thought about what motors your going to use for maiden voyage?

I haven't totally decided yet. I already have two 4 grain CTI cases, so I'm leaning towards something Cesaroni. I was thinking H123 Skidmarks, but I'd rather have something that would show the two exhaust plumes more. Maybe a couple of 3 grain H54 white long burns. I really like long burn motors. Or maybe a pair of H163 White Thunder. Shorter burn, but much higher velocity off the rail.

Last edited:
Back