New scratch build, now "Binary Effusion"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had really good results with Rusto X2. I've found that it does take a while to fully cure though.

I decided to use brass screws to attach the nose cone and tail cone to the rocket. Since the nose cone is fiberglass, I thought it would be better to drill and tap for machine screws. I was afraid sheet metal screws might possibly crack the shoulder. I printed out a three fin wrap from Payload Bay to mark the positions of the screws.

279_screws.jpg

280_wrap.jpg

281_wrap.jpg

282_drill.jpg

283_tap.jpg

284_tap.jpg

285_screw.jpg

286_screws.jpg

The tail cone wasn't as simple, because of the five fins. I attached the wrap forward of the fins, then marked the screw locations with a piece of aluminum angle. It worked. I really need to find my t-handle tap wrench. That old clunky one was hard to use with the small tap. I finally replaced the long handles with bolts, which helped a little.

287_angle.jpg

288_tap.jpg

289_screw.jpg

290_screw.jpg

291_screws.jpg

I got the numeric binary decal a little crooked. But in spite of that, I like it! I like it a lot!

302_decals.jpg

303_decals.jpg

304_decals.jpg

305_decals.jpg

306_decals.jpg

307_decals.jpg

308_decals.jpg

313_decals.jpg

314_decals.jpg

I got a red mark on the forward body tube, I'm guessing from one of the fins. For some reason, the red and black paint is still tacky. I doubt if a yellow Sharpie would cover it. :tongue:

Got the well nut rail buttons installed. Had to "chase" the holes with the 5/16" bit to get them to fit.

Now that is a sexy butt!

309_red-mark.jpg

310_rail-buttons.jpg

311_rail-buttons.jpg

312_rail-buttons.jpg

315_sexy-butt.jpg

Last edited:
I need to be more careful. I hit the tip of the nose cone on the ceiling.

316_tip.jpg

This looks like a fun one. But I must be sick. I keep thinking your smoker looks a little like some sort of moon lander and wonder what it would look like with a motor in it.

attachment.php

Ha! I never noticed it before, but it does look a bit science fiction-ish. I only ever used it once, and it didn't do so good.

I think we have all done that with tall rockets,chances are that would had happened on a hard landing.It may hit a rock as they always do.It might be the only one around and it will find it.Touch it up with some red paint or leave as it is.Nice looking rocket all the same Jim.

I'm kinda sorta thinking about trying to drill the delay in one motor slightly longer than the other. But the CTI delay drill only drills in 2 second increments. So I thought about using a drill stop on a drill bit and measuring the length with a caliper. I don't know if it would work or not.

drill_stops_v1_01.jpg

drill_stops_v1_02.jpg

drill_stops_v1_03.jpg

drill_stops_v1_04.jpg

drill_stops_v1_05.jpg

drill_stops_v1_06.jpg

drill_stops_v1_07.jpg

drill_stops_v1_08.jpg

Looking good! Excited to see this little cluster fly. Did you pick motors yet?

attachment.php

Amazing what a little forced perspective can do for you... Do not put that cat into that lander and launch it with this rocket. It's against NAR and Tripoli rules!

Amazing what a little forced perspective can do for you... Do not put that cat into that lander and launch it with this rocket. It's against NAR and Tripoli rules!

Sometimes I'd like to launch that cat into space! She can be so annoying. She was a stray that was around the house when I moved in. I started feeding her, and now she thinks she lives there. It's been over ten years, and she hasn't aged. I think she's a ghost. She always follows us when I take the dog for walks.

booboo (2).jpg

booboo_080708b.jpg

booboo5.jpg

lexi_booboo4 (2).jpg

lexi_booboo5_cls.jpg

Attachments

• 32_orange.jpg
    32_orange.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 39_orange.jpg
    39_orange.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 38_orange.jpg
    38_orange.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 37_orange.jpg
    37_orange.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 36_mark.jpg
    36_mark.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 35_mark.jpg
    35_mark.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 34_harness.jpg
    34_harness.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 33_harness.jpg
    33_harness.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 30
I didn't know how heavy that Aerocon 60" chute is. (Or more likely I did know, and had forgotten.) It weighs over 12oz! Plus, because of how the shroud line loop is, to use a swivel, I'd have to use two quick links. That adds another 2.25oz. When I plugged the weights into Open Rocket it took a couple hundred feet off the expected altitude. Oh well, 1500 ft is good enough for Captain Low-N-Slow!

317_chute_weight.jpg

318_ql-weight.jpg

319_ql-weight.jpg

320_chute.jpg

321_chute.jpg

screenshot_012615.jpg

View attachment Binary_Effusion_conical2.ork

I didn't know how heavy that Aerocon 60" chute is. (Or more likely I did know, and had forgotten.) It weighs over 12oz! Plus, because of how the shroud line loop is, to use a swivel, I'd have to use two quick links. That adds another 2.25oz. When I plugged the weights into Open Rocket it took a couple hundred feet off the expected altitude. Oh well, 1500 ft is good enough for Captain Low-N-Slow!

Be glad you don't have the 72" orange one. I bought it then had to build a bigger rocket. That thing weigh in at 2.2pounds!!

Now that's a cool tool!! How do you like using it? What's the battery life on it?

It's heavier than I expected, but well balanced. I haven't used it all that much, but the battery life on all the Nextec tools seems great.

Back