New Eggtimer Version

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, Which battery would you recommend and source?
Thanks

Hobby King seems to be the go-to place for LiPo packs, I've bought "raw" 1S LiPo cells from bidproduct.com too (150 mAH for about $1.50 each). You'll need some kind of connectors too; if you get the HK batteries they come with connectors, you just buy the matching female pigtail (or extension and cut it it half) and solder that to the board (or headers, if you're using them with a RevD Eggtimer).

So a 1s 150 mAH is all that is needed? How large of a LiPo would be ok, if I want to power the Eggtimer and use it for deployment charges? Or should i make them separate batteries? I have started to read about the 10c and 20c being important also. I want to make sure and get the right ones.
Thanks

I'm having a similar problem with a small avbay. I need a smaller battery than the standard 9v, but am concerned with the LiPo choices. Most of them deliver too much current for the firing circuits, and the only one that might work (Turnigy 138mAh 2S 10C) is out of stock and has no connector to charge it safely. Any recommendations? [h=1][/h]

Look at bidproduct.com, they have raw 1S cells at just about any size you want. You WILL have to solder on a connector, JST's are fine, as are servo connectors, just make sure you get the polarity correct. Your firing circuit is only going to draw whatever current the igniter takes, if you're talking Q2G2 it's about 200 mA, even a 70 mAH battery will fire one.

I'm having a similar problem with a small avbay. I need a smaller battery than the standard 9v, but am concerned with the LiPo choices. Most of them deliver too much current for the firing circuits, and the only one that might work (Turnigy 138mAh 2S 10C) is out of stock and has no connector to charge it safely. Any recommendations? [h=1][/h]

I would take their pictures with a grain of salt... and send them an email to confirm that the batteries come with the connectors. Let us know if they do, my experience has been that they do not.

https://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=82

5 batteries for that price is pretty good! Also, looks like it has the same connector as the other 1S LiPo's I have seen for the Featherweight products.

https://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=82

5 batteries for that price is pretty good! Also, looks like it has the same connector as the other 1S LiPo's I have seen for the Featherweight products.

Watch out: those ones look like the SparkFun ones which a) have current limiting circuits and b) have opposite polarity to the Featherweight ones.

Also, they look like 500 mAh cells, not 150. They are larger than the 110's that Altus Metrum uses for the old TeleMini, and the 500 on the side ought to mean something as well...

Just wanted to say thanks Cris for helping me get my Eggtimer set up. Great product and most of all, awesome customer service.

I also got my first Eggtimer past it's run up tests, just took a couple of emails to Cris and he had me smiling ear to ear! I'm pretty sure I have read the entire operators manual now, and understand more than half of it! Putting it to the test this weekend in a RW Li'l Rascal.

For those that are not enamored with pin headers, I wanted to post an alternative build option for the Eggtimer Rev D board. Taking advantage of Chris' change to 0.1" centers on all I/O pads you can use 4-position screw terminals for some or all of the board connections. I purchased mine off of eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/181186767360?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 (although Cris may offer these as an option in the future for convenience--I don't know). These are basically 4-position versions of the connector used on the Raven.

IMG_0397.jpg ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1393476551.139093.jpg

In my case I only used four on each board for ChA/B, ChA/B Bats, SW/Bat, RST/BW. The other connections I felt would only be used occasionally and in most cases would be served best using a wiring harness, e.g., LEDs to airframe mount or AuxA/B to driver board so I left them with the jumper headers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, just wish it had come last week when I was desperately trying to get my Lil Rascal ready for the launch with it's new Eggtimer. I ordered the "D-Sub" crimp tool, but it didn't get in until this week. I have a bunch of those German made screw terminals I got from Mouser.com for about the same price. I use them for connecting ejection charges, either as a 4 pin or you can split them and mount the 2 pin version separately. They just slide apart.

Last edited:
For those that are not enamored with pin headers, I wanted to post an alternative build option for the Eggtimer Rev D board.

Thanks for posting this. I just placed my order. This should make things a lot easier on my Rev D boards.

Thanks for the tip, just wish it had come last week when I was desperately trying to get my Lil Rascal ready for the launch with it's new Eggtimer. I ordered the "D-Sub" crimp tool, but it didn't get in until this week. I have a bunch of those German made screw terminals I got from Mouser.com for about the same price:
https://www.mouser.com/catalogviewe...=651-1984633&catalogculture=en-US&catalog=646

The ones you have referenced here are 3.5mm spacing. This is wrong (and typically these larger ones are cheaper--much cheaper on eBay). You need 0.1", or 2.5mm spacing for this application.

The 2.54mm/.1" terminals are harder to find and relatively expensive, most of the bargain-basement vendors don't carry them. That's one of the reasons why I went with locking headers; seven of the 4-position .1" terminal strips would have been at least $15. Here's some guys on eBay selling them a little cheaper, I can't vouch for them however...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-4-Po...ltDomain_0&hash=item2a2f92aa00#ht_4937wt_1121

I tried searching Mouser for the correct part, either they don't carry them or I couldn't input the correct search criteria. I went ahead and ordered the ones from ebay. I still have another Eggtimer to build, will try the second one with screw terminals. Sorry about posting up a bad link, looked the same to me.... The ones I have work well for mounting on the avbay bulkhead and connecting ejection charges to.

I have a question I have the Featherweight magnetic switch and it needs power so I will need to switch between the battery and the Eggtimer altimeter. So can I just jumper the the switch connection so it is always on and turn the power on and off through the battery connection via the magnetic switch?

TA

Back