The Eggtimer Proton is Available Again!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After nearly a year of redesigning/testing the Eggtimer Proton due to the sudden EOL of the 120G accelerometer sensor, the Eggtimer Proton is now available. We've made a few hardware changes... the 120G accelerometer has been replaced with a 200G accelerometer, and there is now deployment power status testing (so you can't arm it with the deployment power off). All of the other nice features are there... 6 completely configurable outputs, WiFi/browser interface, remote configuration/arming/data downloading/deployment testing, etc. And of course, it retains the one-battery or two-battery power options, and incorporates an integral power switch on the deployments that doesn't turn on until you arm the Proton remotely AND your rocket is in flight.

We've also released a new firmware version to support it, 2.01A, which adds support for the new hardware as well as some often-requested features such as channel naming, flight comments, and more verbose channel status messages. Best of all, the 2.01A firmware will work with both the new Rev. C14 version of the hardware AND the older Rev. A9 version of the hardware.

We have Eggtimer Protons in stock for immediate shipment, the price for the kit is $80. Thanks to all of your for your patience... it's always difficult when a manufacturer discontinues a key component, and it's even more difficult when there's no direct replacement. And as usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

After nearly a year of redesigning/testing the Eggtimer Proton due to the sudden EOL of the 120G accelerometer sensor, the Eggtimer Proton is now available. We've made a few hardware changes... the 120G accelerometer has been replaced with a 200G accelerometer, and there is now deployment power status testing (so you can't arm it with the deployment power off). All of the other nice features are there... 6 completely configurable outputs, WiFi/browser interface, remote configuration/arming/data downloading/deployment testing, etc. And of course, it retains the one-battery or two-battery power options, and incorporates an integral power switch on the deployments that doesn't turn on until you arm the Proton remotely AND your rocket is in flight.

We've also released a new firmware version to support it, 2.01A, which adds support for the new hardware as well as some often-requested features such as channel naming, flight comments, and more verbose channel status messages. Best of all, the 2.01A firmware will work with both the new Rev. C14 version of the hardware AND the older Rev. A9 version of the hardware.

We have Eggtimer Protons in stock for immediate shipment, the price for the kit is $80. Thanks to all of your for your patience... it's always difficult when a manufacturer discontinues a key component, and it's even more difficult when there's no direct replacement. And as usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

YOU BETTER SHIP MY ORDER I AM ABOUT TO PLACE, TOMORROW!!! please? 😁

I need to build it before Airfest now.... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🥳 🥳 🥳 🤠🤠🤠

@cerving there seems to be about three images missing from the new Proton User's Guide on pages 9 and 10 (battery options).

Also, since the latest versions of the Proton and Quantum feature a single rectifier, was there any benefit to having two rectifiers on the older designs?

We were overly cautious with the power supply design on the old Proton (and the older Quantum), one rectifier is fine for reverse-polarity protection. What we would REALLY like would have been a SMT full-wave bridge in a reasonably sized package, but sadly there are none that can handle the current requirements.

I'll look at the User's Guide... those pictures ARE in the assembly manual.

Put one of the new Protons together today - much cleaner layout and design. I obviously haven't flown it yet, but really like the way it comes together. Agree with Cris that it would have been totally cool to get this to a completely SMT design, but this is oh so close. Great job Cris, looking forward to flying it!

Put one of the new Protons together today - much cleaner layout and design. I obviously haven't flown it yet, but really like the way it comes together. Agree with Cris that it would have been totally cool to get this to a completely SMT design, but this is oh so close. Great job Cris, looking forward to flying it!
Could you share a photo or two?

New Proton complete. Some great new features, @cerving
This will be at the heart of a two-stage project I'm working on.

Attachments

• PXL_20230910_150547470.jpg
    PXL_20230910_150547470.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230910_150601398.jpg
    PXL_20230910_150601398.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back