Estes Bull Pup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
Just finished a Estes Bull Pup.Would like to get another and put a 24mm motor mount in that one.This kit is stock with the 18mm mount ,Estes BullPup 001.jpgEstes BullPup 002.jpgI added paper skins and a red tip to the NC and boat tail.Painted in a flat white.

Very Nice!
Mine doesn't look as good as that; beautifully done!

I love my Bull Pup, yours did have nose weight, right?
If not, it'll fly screwy. It flies great on C6s, and I can only imagine how nice it would scoot on some Aerotech D13s!

Nate

Last edited:
I love my Bull Pup, yours did have nose weight, right?
If not, it'll fly screwy. It flies great on C6s, and I can only imagine how nice it would scoot on some Aerotech D13s!

Nate

Yes I did add the clay and then went out and bought some gorilla glue and put some drops in to cover the clay.It foams up,so I went easy with the glue and left up nose down for 24 hours.I found this kit from an estate sale on Art Applewhite's web site.

Just finished a Estes Bull Pup.Would like to get another and put a 24mm motor mount in that one.This kit is stock with the 18mm mount ,View attachment 153769View attachment 153771I added paper skins and a red tip to the NC and boat tail.Painted in a flat white.

NICE JOB!

If you go to a D you might want to use a 4' x 3/16ths rod.

The Estes Bull Pup is a great flyer and makes for a super cluster too.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Attachments

• nlspiff.JPG
    nlspiff.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 97
  • spiffnl002.jpg
    spiffnl002.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 86
The second photo is a little blurry, but from the first I can see that you did a great Job. Very nice. I'm mostly a fan of the Military Missiles.
And to Verna, is that made out of Bull Pups? That's awesome too!

Thanks for the kind words,I'm not very steady with my camera.I seen the blurry shots after I posted.Also I'm due for a eye checkup at the end of the month and know I need stronger glasses.

NICE JOB!

If you go to a D you might want to use a 4' x 3/16ths rod.

The Estes Bull Pup is a great flyer and makes for a super cluster too.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

It's such a small rocket,if I do go 24mm,I'll weigh a C6-5 and D12-5,add the difference in clay to the nose.I think it came with almost a half an ounce of clay,so I would also add that.When I do launch this,I'll have alot of chalk inside the small parachute to spot that thing in the sky.LOL.

Nice Job !
One of my first (B.A.R.) rockets.
And one of my favorites.

Nie work on the finish. My son got one one these for this 8th birthday, and I won one in the NARCON-2013 raffle. We haven't built them yet.

Nie work on the finish. My son got one one these for this 8th birthday, and I won one in the NARCON-2013 raffle. We haven't built them yet.
Thanks Scotty,rbelknap you and your son should have a great time building this rocket together.I'm going to put this in my 17 month old grandson's room with a few others I have built for him.I'll wait till he's old enough(maybe another year) and then take him to a club launch to fly them.

That turned out great, Carl! I've always liked the Bullpup. Now I want to build an upscale. You're a bad influence!

I've always liked the Bullpup and yours came out awesome. I think it's great that you bought it from AA and helped out the widow of a fellow rocketeer.

I'd love to see this upscaled at the hands Cap'n low and slow. I think that would make a really cool build.

I've always liked the Bullpup and yours came out awesome. I think it's great that you bought it from AA and helped out the widow of a fellow rocketeer.

I'd love to see this upscaled at the hands Cap'n low and slow. I think that would make a really cool build.

Thank you Jeff,Jim I hope you do an upscale.I would like to do one also.Let me know what bodytube you will use,I'm thinking 29mm,mybe BTH80 tubes?Mybe we can do a thread at the same time if you slow down a little,LOL.

I think I've flown mine more than any other rocket I have. I just got done refurbishing it, patched the fins and new paint...I might even put the decals on it now ;)

I don't have a Bullpup in my fleet. After reading your post, somethings gonna have to be done about that! The red NC tip an tailcone were an awesome idea.

Last edited:
I don't have a Bullpup in my fleet. After reading your post, somethings gonna have to be done about that! The red NC tip an tailcone were an awesome idea.

I'm starting to put a red tip on some of my builds,this is the first time with flat white.The red tip is gloss red but I'm going to put a coat of future on it to seal up the decals.On the decals,they really show up nice but don't stick that well.Not crazy about peel and stick.Thanks for the kind words NJRick.Jim,I like your 3.1 upscale I think a 2.6" will be what I go with in a 29mm motor mount.I hope the weight is not a issue.

I'm starting to put a red tip on some of my builds,this is the first time with flat white.The red tip is gloss red but I'm going to put a coat of future on it to seal up the decals.On the decals,they really show up nice but don't stick that well.Not crazy about peel and stick.Thanks for the kind words NJRick.Jim,I like your 3.1 upscale I think a 2.6" will be what I go with in a 29mm motor mount.I hope the weight is not a issue.

Hey Carl, how did you mask for the red tip? I like that too.

Hey Carl, how did you mask for the red tip? I like that too.

I was also wondering that
Your colored NC tip Looks really cool, but I have no idea how one would mask on a shape like that

Great looking rocket! The Bull Pup was one of my all time favorite kits from Estes. Mine got ruined in a move - I need to find a new one to build.

Here is how I did it when the tip was red and the rest was black. Not sure it would work on red over white.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?53648-As-yet-unnamed-scratch-build&p=542713#post542713

That's how I did it,I used a 13mm engine tube that I had left over from a Honest John that I made to fly 18mm.Worked out great.Painted the top 1/3rd red and then white a few days later.Did the same with the tail,painted red the same time when I painted the tip a day after I primered.

You take pictures like I do, or did back when I still had a camera.
Unless you are using some kind of Top Secrete “Stealth paint” that makes the rocket low-observeability.
When you fly this rocket; ditch the parachute and go with a big streamer.

You take pictures like I do, or did back when I still had a camera.
Unless you are using some kind of Top Secrete “Stealth paint” that makes the rocket low-observeability.
When you fly this rocket; ditch the parachute and go with a big streamer.

I really need a better camera,it's also the light in the room that played a part.I went with a flat white(Rust-olium).When I shot it,I thought I'd be sanding it off but after it dried it looked fine.I'm going to put a clear coat on it today to seal up the decals.Again,not a great fan of peel and stick decals.

I really need a better camera,it's also the light in the room that played a part.I went with a flat white(Rust-olium).When I shot it,I thought I'd be sanding it off but after it dried it looked fine.I'm going to put a clear coat on it today to seal up the decals.Again,not a great fan of peel and stick decals.

I look at photography this way; there are only two types of cameras. Cheap cameras with which I can take really crappy photographs and expensive cameras with which I can take really crappy photographs.

Check out Excelsior Rocketry. They sell a set of waterslide decals for the Estes Bullpup.
S&H is a bit much for just one set of decals so order two, that way you can FUBAR a couple with confidence you have backups readily available.

If you choose to use waterslide decals you will have to apply a gloss clear coat first as waterslide decals don’t like matt or flat finishes.

I look at photography this way; there are only two types of cameras. Cheap cameras with which I can take really crappy photographs and expensive cameras with which I can take really crappy photographs.

Check out Excelsior Rocketry. They sell a set of waterslide decals for the Estes Bullpup.
S&H is a bit much for just one set of decals so order two, that way you can FUBAR a couple with confidence you have backups readily available.

If you choose to use waterslide decals you will have to apply a gloss clear coat first as waterslide decals don’t like matt or flat finishes.

Thanks,I'll keep your information on those decals in mind.I have a BT70 tube in my build pile that I did not use on my Gemini Titan(went with a BT70 instead)might use that for a upscale build.Don't know if I could use smaller decals.

Thanks,I'll keep your information on those decals in mind.I have a BT70 tube in my build pile that I did not use on my Gemini Titan(went with a BTH70 instead)might use that for a upscale build.Don't know if I could use smaller decals.

Went with a BTH70 tube,Semroc has a boat tail in 24mm and 29mm.With the BT70 I was thinking 24mm,but it's out of stock.A 29mm would put that thing in the next state.

Back