L1 test Big Daddy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score
I have another Big Daddy in the pile with some decent plywood parts I want to build for a L1 flight in May. For now I wanted to see how I will do by trying to build a test 29MM BD that might need tweaking.

IMAG3260 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3261 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Grain along leading edge

IMAG3262 by beerorkid, on Flickr

A bit rough, but the fillets filled it all.

IMAG3264 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3265 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3268 by beerorkid, on Flickr

YISS

IMAG3275 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3278 by beerorkid, on Flickr

SO the assist from here if any can.

I figure I cut down the nose cone to about 2 inches and put in a ply bulkhead a bit up in it with epoxy so there is room for the chute and stuff since the 29MM motor mount was a bit longer than usual reducing the payload area. Also I believe I need nose weight. Does anyone know the weight I need? I am headed to open rocket to see what I can figure out. seems 3-4 oz will do it. Will be launching F engines from it in the beginning.

Last edited:
there you go again, making life harder for yourself :). modifing a BD nose is a simple task...before it is painted, (sigh) oh well, simply slice off the aft bit of the current nose, add approx 1.75 oz of lead(notice I did not say anything about epoxy) measure down to the shot (this is easier w/o paint, just shine a light inside and mark where the shaded area begins on the out side of the nose), mark where the upper surface of the weight is. drain the shot out, drill a bamboo skewer size hole(iirc 5/32") through the nose just below where the weights upper surface(see diagram), insert skewer. mix up approx .5oz epoxy (20minute) and add your shot stir, and pour into the nose, allow to set. trim and sand the skewer flush.
if this isn't enough info, ask and I'll try to fill in your blanks.
rex

bddone 001.jpg

bdnose.jpg

Makes perfect sense. Cool idea on the skewer. I use a lot of those. Can scratch off that paint no prob. I have some pellet gun BBs that I can use, but lead would be heavier. I need to pick up the hardware for the nosecone and will see what the hardware store has for lead weight. Read on here that I should put the nosecone in water when the epoxy is in there to keep it from melting.

I was in sort of a panic yesterday after I realized that I did not have a rocket that I built that could take the F40 and F22 reloads I had purchased for the weekend club launch. It rattled around in my brain during the afternoon and I remembered that I had some 29MM tube left over, an extra Big Daddy, and it all clicked. Made dinner and got into uber build mode. The flat black is just the base coat. I have plans to make this one decorated in a whimsical sort of way from an idea the wife had. I just love how the fat retainer looks on it.

Last edited:
I picked up a box of shotgun shells loaded w/ birdshot, surprizing how the shot just falls out...:).
rex

IMAG3286 by beerorkid, on Flickr

A bit A skewered, but done

IMAG3287 by beerorkid, on Flickr

1.75 OZ of BBs and prob .75 of epoxy. Realized I was going a bit too thick too late. Crap got darn warm so I put it in water and the freezer a bit. Just to keep it reg temp. It is so locked on that skewer, oh man.

IMAG3290 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Took trips to two stores until I could get a decent small screw eye and thin flat decent washer for the back and a small on the aft of the bulkhead. Not sure if my connection makes sense yet, but it will be simple to redo. Bulkhead was easy to make though. I wanted to reinforce it good since it is lighter balsa ply. Needed it to be strong and it sure is.

IMAG3295 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3299 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Just getting started on the decorating. Picked up paint pens to try and make it look like it had rivets. The paint in those pens melts krylon paint FYI.

She will fly this sat finished or not. After that I will keep going on the decorating.

Thanks for the help you all. I hope it is going to be a fun as heck rocket I get to use often.

Last edited:
my skewers all seem a bit off plumb (last one I used a drill press...). I've used dixe cups (paper) and paper candy cups for mixing epoxy in, just toss 'em when done :). you will need to fold that chute fairly small so that it slides/falls out easily and if at all possible do not wrap the shroud lines around the chute (don't ask, glad it had 'cushy grass' to land on). hope it does well.
rex

I like how you used the paint markers to sim rivets. Cool idea..:clap:

[video=youtube;6TXVzZDK3Io]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TXVzZDK3Io[/video]

I like how you used the paint markers to sim rivets. Cool idea..:clap:

It sorta worked, but melts the spray paint and got really messy.

Launched on a F40-7W, but I used a drill bit to get it to about a 4 second delay. Perfect flight. Used a 20 inch X chute that I reefed a good foot up. Landed about 20 feet from the pad. My brother was 50 yards back and said it was amazing. He could not believe how much fire and smoke came out of it and said it was amazingly loud. Nephew hid in the car looking out the back window when I launched it.

I was scared to put the altimeter in it, but that has to be the highest launch I have gotten the rocket back. Guessing 1000 feet.

I am darn confident in it now. Will load some beasts in there at the club launch.

GIFSoup

Last edited:
Before you do your L1 Big Daddy glass that BT. This is one of the few times I recommend fiberglassing but based on personal experience anything bigger than a mid sized G is going to be too much for that flimsy Estes tubing (which was never intended for H's anyways) especially with added nose weight.

Been there, done that, lost a casing.

Before you do your L1 Big Daddy glass that BT. This is one of the few times I recommend fiberglassing but based on personal experience anything bigger than a mid sized G is going to be too much for that flimsy Estes tubing (which was never intended for H's anyways) especially with added nose weight.

Been there, done that, lost a casing.

The 3" tube that comes with the Big Daddy is much tougher than the typical Estes tubing.

Here's mine going up on a H128 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/7991816587/
And a photo of the back end - https://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/8565221592/
You can see from the 2nd photo that the stock body tube is fairly heavy duty.

Krusty

Hmmmm...that's different than what I got in my BD kit I used to have. :confused2:

Weird ?! I bought my BD perhaps a year ago. I have one that's a couple of years older than that, built stock. I'll check when I get home from work and see what the body tube is like on the older one!

How long ago did you get yours?

Krusty

Was my 4th RMS launch. Realized that the older AT 29MM case I got at auction has different threads than the new 29MM RMS case. At least I now have them back together in their rightful place now. Was not able to load the F40 into the older case. Might be a prob in the future. Was a very tight fit and I just went to the other case.

Was my 4th RMS launch. Realized that the older AT 29MM case I got at auction has different threads than the new 29MM RMS case. At least I now have them back together in their rightful place now. Was not able to load the F40 into the older case. Might be a prob in the future. Was a very tight fit and I just went to the other case.

From time to time I've had to remove the outer wrapper of paper from the case liner to get it to fit - just a single layer usually does it.

Krusty

Weird ?! I bought my BD perhaps a year ago. I have one that's a couple of years older than that, built stock. I'll check when I get home from work and see what the body tube is like on the older one!

How long ago did you get yours?

Krusty

Well, mine was purchased somewhere in '06 or '07 and it was the old school packaging prior to that stuff you have there.

Sounds like one of your cases is a 120ns. High power case, not a hobbyline. Tight liners is not uncommon, a layer peeled and you're all good.

Sounds like one of your cases is a 120ns. High power case, not a hobbyline. Tight liners is not uncommon, a layer peeled and you're all good.

I noticed this too on my last reload. I didn't think about peeling a layer off. I just sanded the paper tube until it fit. Thanks for the tip!

Your big daddy looks really cool. nice job!

Beerorkid I wanted to show you this one in your bigdaddy thread. This is a chopped up bigdaddy I came up with from things I've learned from this forum. It's flys on G-64's Had the paint blister the other day when I went to apply the mid coat so I've got to strip it off and start over.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beerorkid I wanted to show you this one in your bigdaddy thread. This is a chopped up bigdaddy I came up with from things I've learned from this forum. It's flys on G-64's Had the paint blister the other day when I went to apply the mid coat so I've got to strip it off and start over.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:y:

SWEET!

Looks like a Tiny Pterodactyl and a Big Daddy mated to produce this...

Holy cow that is freaking beautiful. Is there a build thread for that?

Back