Das Kommie Magg build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thobin

Reaction score
Well my Mini Magg has arrived and it has been moved to the top of my build que. And As you can see from the pictures you will know why. I have purchased an absolutely awesome set of vinyl decals from Mark at Stickershock. And with a rocket this cool and stickers this amazing it must needs be built now!

I will be mostly stock with the exception of it will be dual deploy, rail buttons and as much as I want to go 54mm it will stay 38mm, I need keep its weight under 3.3 pounds which means I have only about a pound to work with (well 12oz), then I can launch this bad boy in the park with a Loki G-80.

TA

2013-03-08 15.14.09.jpg

2013-03-08 15.14.21.jpg

2013-03-08 15.14.30.jpg

2013-03-08 15.14.43.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, I'll be watching. I have wanted to do a Loki G80 powered Magg for a while now. Got the Loki, need the Magg.

I would have figured you'd have been all over a Magg by now grouch....

This looks like a cool magg, though to keep it under 3.3 pounds it's hard to add more than a chute and fireblanket.

Herm....Loki G80... that sounds interesting...

It may be a pipe dream. :confused2: I will make the altimeter bay removable, the dual deploy wont be needed in the park anyway it only gets 600ft with a G-80.

TA

I can't wait too see the flights where you WILL need dual deploy. I think you mentioned a certain J1000 sometime.... :)

Subscribed!

Alex

Anything is possible. The NC is surely big enough to get creative with.

Yea, I'll be watching. I have wanted to do a Loki G80 powered Magg for a while now. Got the Loki, need the Magg.

I want to see that, Grouch. I have wanted a Flying Pumpkin for a while, but you might just change my mind for good.

I can't wait too see the flights where you WILL need dual deploy. I think you mentioned a certain J1000 sometime.... :)

Subscribed!

Alex

Ya that is a pipe dream that wont even fit in the rocket. :gavel: The motor is 24 inches long the body tube is 24 inches long. I guess it could happen. :)

TA

OK I'm not sure I know how to build a rocket stock. Now while I am capable , I don't think I am able. As you can see I am wasting no time, so the pictures my end up a little on the light side.

Put some t-nuts in for the motor retainer, and a anchor block for the rail button. Got the fins sanded, glued in, and ready for some epoxy fillets. A nice aluminum angle to keep the fins true.

I like this fin locking system that Loc uses it helps keep the fins nice and perpendicular.

And yes its time to clean up the work bench. :bangpan: All I know is summer better get here quick because I used my last popsicle stick for mixing epoxy.

TA

2013-03-08 17.04.44.jpg

2013-03-08 18.00.41.jpg

2013-03-08 18.01.51.jpg

I was very impressed with the precision of the fin-loc system, the parts couldn't fit better! Makes it easy to change your motor mount size too. I like your scheme, is it going to be based in red?

Yup a red pearl or flake. It came with a white parachute and now I think I'm going to have to get a red star silk screened on it. :)

I also have the motor mount done and instated, I think this is going to be an all nighter.

TA

2013-03-08 20.38.55.jpg

2013-03-08 20.39.25.jpg

Ya that is a pipe dream that wont even fit in the rocket. :gavel: The motor is 24 inches long the body tube is 24 inches long. I guess it could happen. :)

You DO know the back of the NC is removable! :wink: At hellfire I flew a rocket where my 360 case was a good 1.5in into the NC shoulder. Worked like a charm. I just spooled the kevlar around the motor and put the nomex blanket in front of the charge well.

Alex

The offspring of a Big Der Red Max and a Magnum!:eyepop: Love the theme and stickers look outstanding-will look even better on the rocket!

That`s going to look bloody awesome man !

Were those graphics your idea, cause brother ,those are great !!

Paul T

That`s going to look bloody awesome man !

Were those graphics your idea, cause brother ,those are great !!

Paul T

As far as the theme is concerned it was my idea. I never would have been inspired to make it if Mark didn't already have a ton of great themes of this kind available already. I have always wanted to make an old school Soviet looking rocket. So I sent some pictures to Mark and he was the man behind the magic, he took a crappy poorly written e-mail and lame pictures from me, and turned it into a work of art. Sent him the email on Sunday, had the decals in my hand by Friday, now that is service.

I have the fillets done and I'm going to fill the spirals today, my least favorite job. :bangpan: I weighed it with all the hardware, chute, nomex and motor and i'm over the weight by 4oz and that is nekid no paint! :( So I might could get below 3.3lb with a lighter motor. I could eliminate the quick links and go with 1/4 inch kevlar too I guess. Anyway I hope to get this to a no waver non HPR park flyer. :)

TA

2013-03-09 07.24.10.jpg

Last edited:
You DO know the back of the NC is removable! :wink: At hellfire I flew a rocket where my 360 case was a good 1.5in into the NC shoulder. Worked like a charm. I just spooled the kevlar around the motor and put the nomex blanket in front of the charge well.

Alex

Definitely! Hack the bottom of the shoulder off and secure the shock cord at the top of the nosecone. Bonus 16" of motor room!

Braden

Any one had any luck getting glue to stick the LOC nose cones? I'v tried just about everything. Cleaned, rubbed with all kinds of cleaners of every type, sanded and I still don't have much luck.

TA

Drill a good number of holes near the tip of the cone, then tape up the outside. The epoxy will seep into the holes. I did this with a 2.6" plastic cone and it worked very well.

Well after some thought I have come up with an idea for the nose cone, I cut off the bottom and I will use rocketkyles suggestion to drill some holes in the tip for an anchor point. So I can fit just about any motor in it now, and add or subtract weight if needed. As soon as I get everything cut out I will post the pics.

I still cant get any glue to grab. I gave the nose cone a good hot soapy bath and a rub down with alcohol and even scratched it up, and all the glues I tested have fallen off. :(

TA

2013-03-09 17.08.13.jpg

I still cant get any glue to grab. I gave the nose cone a good hot soapy bath and a rub down with alcohol and even scratched it up, and all the glues I tested have fallen off. :(

TA
Thats why I drilled holes on either side of the tip of the cone and inserted a dowel. The dowel will not move, and glue can stick to it.

I did that on my Squat and it feels solid. Easily capable of high thrust J and K motors.

Thats why I drilled holes on either side of the tip of the cone and inserted a dowel. The dowel will not move, and glue can stick to it.

I did that on my Squat and it feels solid. Easily capable of high thrust J and K motors.

Yup that's what i'm going to do. It seems to be the only way to go. The gorilla glue looks like it holds the best so far and adds the least amount of weight.

TA

Last edited:
I'm interested to see how you implement dual deploy on this one.

Looking good so far!

Started on the nose cone, cut a piece of 1/2 dowel and drilled 3/16 hole through it, drilled a 1/2 inch hole at the top of the nose cone. Then cut a 3 1/2 inch 10-24 all thread. Glued a washer and a hut together and dropped into the top of the NC.

Put the dowel in and threaded the all thread through the dowel and into the nut till it bottomed out on the tip of the NC. Added another nut and cranked it with a nut driver. Then I heated up some epoxy a bit so it would flow real nice and poured it in, I drill a few small holes around the NC to help hold it.

I Took a fender washer drilled two holes on each side and spent som time making sharp edges dull. Ran some 1/4 inch kevlar through and tied it off. With this set up I can now add weight as needed. And with the chute connected to the shock cord very little pressure will be exerted on the NC connection.

The best part is this eliminated a four or five grams off the total weight of the NC. I wouldn't have thought the bottom of the NC was that heavy. With both quick links removed I'm still under the 3.3lb so we will see what paint adds. :confused2:

The body spirals are filled and I'v sanded and shot one coat of primer on already. :)

TA

2013-03-10 16.32.04.jpg

2013-03-10 17.05.04.jpg

2013-03-10 19.22.13.jpg

2013-03-10 19.21.19.jpg

Last edited:
Built mine stock with addition of 1/4" U-bolt in top CR. Using 3' kevlar to stock shock cord with 1/4" quicklinks at each end and 1/8" link for chute.With all this plus blanket,without motor it weighs in at 58 oz(3.625 lb.).May have gotten a little heavy with epoxy-LOL.

Ya the weight is not looking good for non waver HPR park flying, I'm only just under with out the paint and stickers I think It will be over a few ounces i'm sure.

Here it is with three coats of primer. I have finally found a primer that sticks to the Loc nose cone. I even hit it with my palm sander and I couldn't get it off. U-POL High #5 automotive primer.

I'm about done with the AV bay, once I get it all worked out i'll post some pictures.

TA

2013-03-11 07.51.16.jpg

2013-03-11 07.49.04.jpg

Back