• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Simple Cheap Moter Retention for Mini Eagle Claw!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
So my original plan for motor retention on my MEC was to use an Aeropack. Unfortunately, I made a mistake during the build and did not leave enough MMT extending past the boat tail to use the Aeropack:facepalm:. Well, not wanting to use tape and risk the chance of ejecting my only casing, I went to work on installing a positive retention system... I think it came out pretty well:).

For the clip I used one of my sisters hairpins that I unmercifully attacked with a pair of metal cutters:dark: My original plan was to just drill a hole into the boat tail and thread a screw in to hold the clip in place. This did not work as well as I had hoped. The screw just striped the hole like it was made of butter!!!:y: My solution to this was to cut off the base plate of one of those inserts that come with a set of rail buttons and JB Weld The remaining part of the insert (Basically a small threaded tube) into the hole. Seems to have worked quite well!

Thanks for looking
Please Comment!!

SDC15861.jpg

SDC15863.jpg

SDC15864.jpg

SDC15856.jpg

SDC15857.jpg

Could you also use that same hole for mounting the aft rail button and kill two birds with one stone?

Could you also use that same hole for mounting the aft rail button and kill two birds with one stone?

I had thought of that and you could, but the problem is that to remove the casing you have too completely remove the clip by unscrewing it, and I wanted to just keep it simple and not have to remove the rail button every time I want to Install a motor. Also, since the hole is on the boat tail, I would have to make a standoff for the button which would make even more things that have to be removed and replaced before flight.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
From what I see in the pictures, looks like you have more than enough mmt to have used the Aeropack retainer.

From what I see in the pictures, looks like you have more than enough mmt to have used the Aeropack retainer.

looks that way to me too. however if the aeropac has a greater diameter than the boat tail it might look funny.

Yeah it looks like there is enough, and if I really wanted too I could probably make it work-- I'm only missing about 1mm. In length, but since its not perfect I'm not about to go putting a $30 dollar retainer on (plus the Aero Pack kills the look of the boat tail).

Back