Personal launch report, SARG launch 02/16/13

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Well, the weather was pretty good, although it was a little windier than I expected, and the cloud cover was pretty low. My first was the Milestone, my first dual deploy flight. Epic failure. Not total failure, but definitely epic. Due to sheer laziness on my part, I didn't connect either parachute to the harnesses. I had laid out and adjusted the harnesses the day before, so I thought I didn't need to double check them. Stupid, stupid mistake. The good news is, the Adept22 altimeter worked flawlessly. The other good news is there was no strutural damage, just some cracks in the paint. Could have been a lot worse, I suppose. Ignore any wheezing you hear in the videos, I was a little congested.

[YOUTUBE]S14weoaDFtY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]WlWc4r78zcU[/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• IMGP2972.JPG
    IMGP2972.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2976.JPG
    IMGP2976.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2981.JPG
    IMGP2981.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2984.JPG
    IMGP2984.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2986.JPG
    IMGP2986.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
Apparently the drogue chute hooked itself to the harness initially, but eventually pulled free. If you look closely at the third and fourth photos, you can see the pink main chute still rolled up and falling free.

Attachments

• IMGP2989.JPG
    IMGP2989.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2992.JPG
    IMGP2992.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2993.JPG
    IMGP2993.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2994.JPG
    IMGP2994.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2995.JPG
    IMGP2995.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
More recovery photos. The swivel and quick link were just heavy enough to cause the 18" drogue chute to drift quite a ways away from the rocket.

Attachments

• IMGP2999.JPG
    IMGP2999.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP3000.JPG
    IMGP3000.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP3001.JPG
    IMGP3001.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP3003.JPG
    IMGP3003.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP3004.JPG
    IMGP3004.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 0
The damage. Just cracks in the thick paint.

Attachments

• damage1.jpg
    damage1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
  • damage3.jpg
    damage3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • damage2.jpg
    damage2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 0
Jim, I'm sorry to hear about the recovery. I'm looking forward to a different flight at Snow Ranch!

Ari.

Second of mine was my Level 2 rocket, the Shadow XXL, on an Aerotech J575. Very nice flight. I love the fat chute! It's a 78" LOC parachute, and gave it a gentle landing.

[YOUTUBE]WgcaXGs164s[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]d8u5aeLtEbk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3loJVk7DV3I[/YOUTUBE]

IMGP3022.JPG

IMGP3023.JPG

IMGP3035.JPG

IMGP3037.JPG

IMGP3038.JPG

Last of mine was the Centurion XL, on a G64 White Lightning. Nice flight, but I don't know why it took so long to light.

[YOUTUBE]6cdipEBOkBM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vF7eEjVKwic[/YOUTUBE]

IMGP3081.JPG

IMGP3087.JPG

IMGP3088.JPG

IMGP3092.JPG

IMGP3094.JPG

I forgot to mention altitudes. I put multiple altimeters in both the Milestone and the Shadow. The Milestone on the I212 simmed at 2700 ft. The Altimeter One gave me 2382, the Adept22 beeped out 2293, and the Adept Altim1 beeped out 2307. The Shadow on the J575 simmed at 1700 ft. The Altimeter One gave me 1748, and the Altim1 beeped out 1815. I don't know why the sim was so far off on the Milestone.

P1030908.JPG

P1030969.JPG

Kit launched a rocket with fins! Can you believe it? This is his Squat on an H165 Redline, I believe.

[YOUTUBE]9xPaMzDBOrQ[/YOUTUBE]

P1030934.JPG

IMGP1898.JPG

IMGP1899.JPG

IMGP1900.JPG

IMGP1904.JPG

OMG... that had to hurt! :facepalm:

But at least it fell to nice soft grass. And the Adept-22 did all the right things. So you got that down. Not hooking up the parachutes... now that is a failure mode I did not think of! :( Whenever there is something 'left to be done' from my preparation the night before, I take a little piece of thin orange masking tape and stick it to the nose cone. It's my 'tickler' that I need to do something (often like turn on the Altmeter One etc).

Sims can be finicky. And remember the motor variance as well (tho 18% is a lot). Double check your weight.
Nice to see all the altimeters come in so close. +-100 feet from three different altimeters is pretty good.

Look at the bright side. You've launch 3 more rockets. :)

Play around in Open Rocket with the "component finish" and see if you can get closer to the actual altitude. I some times forget to select the right finsh for all components and it WILL make a difference in altitude.

I too had igniting problems on the C rack Saturday... I was out for most launches on the HP B pads but came in to the low/mid racks for one. After three tries... I move the same rocket/motor/igniter onto the B2 pad and had instant ignition.

Play around in Open Rocket with the "component finish" and see if you can get closer to the actual altitude. I some times forget to select the right finsh for all components and it WILL make a difference in altitude.

Yes I alway select matt finish no matter what in ROCKSIM otherwise its CD is too optimistic.

Kit launched a rocket with fins! Can you believe it? This is his Squat on an H165 Redline, I believe.

[YOUTUBE]9xPaMzDBOrQ[/YOUTUBE]

Actually it was an H148R with a six second delay in a 38mm case adapted to the 54mm motor mount. The sim said it should reach about 1200' and 235 mph but I think it went a bit higher. Must be that glossy clear coat over the fluoro pink.

View attachment 118626
Prepped and ready to head out to the high power pads.
Igniter will be taped to rocket for safety check.
Notice how far the motor protrudes from adapter?
That's a habit I picked up from launching tube fin rockets.
Won't be doing that any more on conventional finned birds!

View attachment 118625
Obligatory pad shot before first launch just in case the flight proves to be "interesting".

View attachment 118624
Dwarfed by Jim's Shadow XXL and awaiting the go button.

Upon launch there were a little wiggle that was probably due to a bit of instability that can be seen in the launch video. Looks like weathercocking except there was almost no breeze at all. Fortunately, the motor mass burned up quickly which restored the balance and the flight was uneventful after that.

I have since trimmed the LOC motor adapter by about an inch so there should be no more drama with short motors. A longer motor, say an I225FJ, would put more mass forward and eliminate the minor instability. Next time I will try a similar sized motor (H242T) to verify the correction works as intended.

With the nosecone modifications I made to the kit, there is enough room for a 5g motor. :eyepop:

I have since trimmed the LOC motor adapter by about an inch so there should be no more drama with short motors. A longer motor, say an I225FJ, would put more mass forward and eliminate the minor instability. Next time I will try a similar sized motor (H242T) to verify the correction works as intended.

With the nosecone modifications I made to the kit, there is enough room for a 5g motor. :eyepop:

Don't forget, an H242T is a high(er) thrust/short(er) burn motor, especially compared to the H148R. If everything else is equal, you would probably get better stability with the H242. I would fly it again with an H148, to see if shortening the motor adapter did make a difference.

I too had igniting problems on the C rack Saturday... I was out for most launches on the HP B pads but came in to the low/mid racks for one. After three tries... I move the same rocket/motor/igniter onto the B2 pad and had instant ignition.

I know the SARG equipment doesn't provide a lot of current sometimes, but this was one of my homemade ignitors, and I don't usually have a problem with those. However, at Snow Ranch, one of my ignitors burned but didn't ignite this same motor. I'm wondering if the age of the ignitors has anything to do with it. I made them a couple of years ago. I need to test a couple and see how they burn.

I forgot to mention altitudes. I put multiple altimeters in both the Milestone and the Shadow. The Milestone on the I212 simmed at 2700 ft. The Altimeter One gave me 2382, the Adept22 beeped out 2293, and the Adept Altim1 beeped out 2307. The Shadow on the J575 simmed at 1700 ft. The Altimeter One gave me 1748, and the Altim1 beeped out 1815. I don't know why the sim was so far off on the Milestone.

I just remembered, the sim was off by about 300 ft when I flew the Shadow for the first time. I wonder why it was so much closer this time.

I changed the paint to "Unfinished", and overrode the weight by three ounces, to get it to sim at 2351 in Open Rocket. The average of the three altimeters was 2327. I'm going to have to rethink my motor selection for the mile high flight. Now, even a J575 only sims at 5011 ft.

You know, I was just thinking. I didn't see the events, nor hear the reports from the ejection charges. I left the 14 second delay in the motor for backup. It's possible, albeit unlikely, that the motor ejected too soon.

Back