Who has built a Soyuz rocket ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzsergio

Reaction score
I plan to scratch build a soyuz in the future I would like to see who else has built one.
I plan to build it based on Semroc's Soyuz nose cone and the BT-60 Pershing nose cones as the strap boosters.

Last edited:
I even had a kit for a while.

The SEMROC Soyuz nose cone is my design.

In the last picture the top one is mine.

compleset.JPG

DSCF0483.jpg

Soyuzfinishedcombo.JPG

I even had a kit for a while.

The SEMROC Soyuz nose cone is my design.

In the last picture the top one is mine.
I have one of those kits.

One of these days I'm going to decide that I have enough patience to build it.

The paper model went together pretty quickly and no filling, sanding, priming or painting.

soyuz.jpg

Wow ! these look Great !
personally Dr.Zooch kit are too small for me.
I dont have that talent on small items :lol:

I want to build me one of these sometime this year. I'll be watching this thread for ideas. :pop:

David

I am working on a 1/52 scale. Still working out some of the details...the tubes are BT-58 (core tube 1st stage), ST-20, and BTH-70, all from Semroc. I turned the nose. All the shrouds and strap-ons are from templates created by SolidWorks. It will fly on a single 24mm. I will release more details once I finish it.

2014-01-12 17.06.24MR.jpg

DSC_5709MR.jpg

Soyuz_A2_SclModel.jpg

Soyuz_A2_SclModel_XS.jpg

Last edited:
I used the SEMROC BT-60 Soyuz nosecone
and 4 BT-60PE cones (I had to drill out some balsa from them to make the rocket light)

I'll have to rebuild it its kinda heavy

any pictures Cruzsergio? would love to see some pictures!
here is a picture of my Dr. Zooch Soyuz with a Zooch Saturn 1b next to it....they are not the same scale.

000_0700a.jpg

I used the SEMROC BT-60 Soyuz nosecone
and 4 BT-60PE cones (I had to drill out some balsa from them to make the rocket light)

I'll have to rebuild it its kinda heavy

Drill it out for cluster motors and add more nose weight. A built Soyuz rocket is a terrible thing to waste.

No clusters on it just drill to reduce weight.
I want to rebuild it since its heavy and I've learned quite a few things now.
Here's a picture ! yes it flew, surprisingly straight to
DSCF6068 - Copy.JPG

Built the 1/48th paper scale model based around a BT-60 tube. Not flown yet due to weather and time. Gotta admit, it's nice to be able to just give it a couple coats of clear paint once it's completely built.

DSCN0493.JPG

FC

beautiful job Fast Cargo....that looks fantastic!

Built the 1/48th paper scale model based around a BT-60 tube. Not flown yet due to weather and time. Gotta admit, it's nice to be able to just give it a couple coats of clear paint once it's completely built.

DSCN0493.JPG

FC

Here she is on the pad, ignition, and fighting the wind during flight:

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

and video of the launch:

[video=youtube_share;BsI-0vV_SkQ]https://youtu.be/BsI-0vV_SkQ[/video]

A good flier...no damage on landing. Debating if I should make a smaller, less detailed version for more frequent flights...this one has a LOT of time put into it...and I can truly say it wasn't a shelf queen.

FC

Last edited:
Here she is on the pad, ignition, and fighting the wind during flight:

[snip]

A good flier...no damage on landing. Debating if I should make a smaller, less detailed version for more frequent flights...this one has a LOT of time put into it...and I can truly say it wasn't a shelf queen.

FC

Very nice!!! did you have to put nose weight to make it stable? where did the CG end up? I am still designing/building my 1/52 scratchie. Man there are a lot of "fiddly bits" on this vehicle to model!!!

Very nice!!! did you have to put nose weight to make it stable? where did the CG end up? I am still designing/building my 1/52 scratchie. Man there are a lot of "fiddly bits" on this vehicle to model!!!

A lot of fiddly bits is right!

Anyway, OR showed I needed about 2 oz nose weight for stability. One thing I do is with rockets that use tubes for fins (like the Soyuz or Proton) is I build them in OR with flat fins in the shape of the tubes and then reduce the area of the fin by 25%. That's probably a bit on the conservative side, but it has worked so far. The CG on this one (with an E12-4) ended up being slightly below the top part of the strap on boosters. The model was a bit tail heavy because of additional reinforcement for the strap on boosters...using 3/16 dowel rods near the top and bottom of the boosters to secure them.

FC

In 2010 I modified a Cosmodrome Rocketry Vostok to be a Soyuz, so top half is scratch.

Most work I ever put into any rocket project, about 200 hours.

Flies on a 17 motor cluster at about 10lbs. TRF build and flight thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?17455-Soyuz-build-from-Cosmodrome-Vostok

Flown three times to date. One picture of each flight below, video of flight two:

[video=youtube;6ZolFWCGCPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6ZolFWCGCPQ[/video]

IMG_8513.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

In 2010 I modified a Cosmodrome Rocketry Vostok to be a Soyuz, so top half is scratch.

Most work I ever put into any rocket project, about 200 hours.

Flies on a 17 motor cluster at about 10lbs. TRF build and flight thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?17455-Soyuz-build-from-Cosmodrome-Vostok

Flown three times to date. One picture of each flight below, video of flight two:

[video=youtube;6ZolFWCGCPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6ZolFWCGCPQ[/video]

Now that's a pretty rocket and launch!

FC

FC
Was the model the right size that you could just wrap the body tube parts around a BT-60?

I built a 1/48 scale paper model by using a BT-50 tube and putting centering rings on it to support the body tube. It sounds like your way would be easier and more durable.

Delta22,

That rocket launch was awesome! Beautiful rocket. Expensive to fly too. But really high on the cool factor scale!

David

The bottom part of the 1/48 Soyuz sustainer wraps perfectly around a BT-60 with no centering rings needed until it starts flaring out near the top of the strap on boosters.

FC

Last edited:
Back