New scratch build, X-Plane SST

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a 54 mm motor tube. It's about time.

Fist thing: Might want to hold off on populating your Av-bay until your get your chops up on dual-deploy because you may decided to do things differently this go around.

Second thing: Check that you will be able to fit a quick-link down into the U-bolt when the motor mount is installed in the body tube. With my 4" Squat and the 54mm motor tube, I couldn't make the u-bolt fit and ended up using a forged eyebolt set at an angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally a 54 mm motor tube. It's about time.

Fist thing: Might want to hold off on populating your Av-bay until your get your chops up on dual-deploy because you may decided to do things differently this go around.

Second thing: Check that you will be able to fit a quick-link down into the U-bolt when the motor mount is installed in the body tube. With my 4" Squat and the 54mm motor tube, I couldn't make the u-bolt fit and ended up using a forged eyebolt set at an angle.

Oh man, am I glad you said something! I would have bet you cash money a 1/4" quick link would fit on it, but sure enough, when it's in the body tube there's not enough clearance. It is oh so close, but no cigar. A 3/16" quick link will fit, though, and has a 616lbs working load vs. 880lbs for the 1/4". I thought about putting a welded ring on it, but a 1/4" ring only has a 200lb working load. I thought about making a steel cable for it, but I don't know what kind of load rating that would have. I could also make a new centering ring and put a slightly larger 1/4" u-bolt in it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

44_u-bolt.jpg

45_u-bolt.jpg

46_u-bolts.jpg

47_quick_links.jpg

Got the blocks and tee-nuts epoxied to the centering rings, and sanded the blocks flush. I also got the fin patterns cut out and taped together.

39_blocks.jpg

40_blocks.jpg

41_fin_patterns.jpg

42_fin_patterns.jpg

43_fin_patterns.jpg

IIRC a 3/16" stainless steel quick link has a working load of 800 lbs or so. Pretty close to a standard 1/4" one.

Here's my Skwat 54mm motor mount. Notice how the eye is mounted at an angle for clearance. Also, I used your method of adding thickness to the centering ring to mount the rail buttons.

Last edited:
Got the blocks and tee-nuts epoxied to the centering rings, and sanded the blocks flush. I also got the fin patterns cut out and taped together.

Love the fin design, looks menacing.:dark:

Yes they do. I buy stainless hardware from Lowe's and Home Depot but I know where to look for it in the places I frequent.

For some reason Lowe's seems to have a wider selection. My store has it on the shelf with the Stanley gate hardware and fittings rather than with the fasteners. YMMV.

This is gonna be SWEET Jim!!!!

I tell ya, I flew my L2 flight on a 54mm...you can FEEL it fly!!

You are gonna have an awesome build going here and I can't wait to see it fly...

Now, since I can buy BIGGER motors now, I need to come up with something too!! :grin:

I picked up a stainless u-bolt and 3/16" quick link. And while it probably wasn't necessary, I was afraid drilling another hole for the wider u-bolt would weaken the centering ring. So I made a new one, this time from 3/8" plywood.

70_stainless.jpg

48_centering_ring.jpg

49_centering_ring.jpg

50_centering_ring.jpg

51_centering_ring.jpg

If the centering ring isn't necessary to transfer thrust (only doing actual centering) then there is no need for anything but lateral compressive strength.

My Black & Decker bullet point drill bits are getting dull, especially the ones I use a lot. They don't make them anymore, so I looked at the DeWalt pilot point bits. But just 1/4" and a 5/16" replacement bits were $13. This set was $20. The math worked for me. I don't care who you are, that's a sexy drill bit, right there!

drill_bit1.jpg

drill_bit2.jpg

drill_bits1.jpg

drill_bits2.jpg

If the centering ring isn't necessary to transfer thrust (only doing actual centering) then there is no need for anything but lateral compressive strength.

Well, there will only be two centering rings, so I would think they'd both transfer thrust. Besides, I'm paranoid. I might throw a high thrust motor in this some day.

I got the new wider stainless u-bolt fitted to the new centering ring. I had to modify the backing plate a bit to make it fit.

52_centering_ring.jpg

53_backing_plate.jpg

54_backing_plate.jpg

56_u-bolt.jpg

57_u-bolt.jpg

As you can see, the new u-bolt is considerably wider. Because of the extra width, both the 3/16" and 1/4" quick links now fit.

59_u-bolt.jpg

60_u-bolt.jpg

61_u-bolt.jpg

62_u-bolt.jpg

63_u-bolts.jpg

Anybody need a brand new never used custom made 1/4" centering ring with a small pre-installed u-bolt? I'll even autograph it for you! :tongue:

64_centering_ring.jpg

65_centering_ring.jpg

66_centering_ring.jpg

I got the rail button block (I need to come up with a better name for this) epoxied to the new centering ring, and sanded flush.

68_block.jpg

71_block.jpg

72_block.jpg

Finally got a little more done. I epoxied the forward centering ring to the motor tube, and coated the u-bolt nuts with epoxy.

75_centering_ring.jpg

76_centering_ring.jpg

77_centering_ring.jpg

78_centering_ring.jpg

80_u-bolt.jpg

I too have been accused of being heavy-handed with the epoxy. This is the other side of the centering ring.

81_centering_ring.jpg

82_centering_ring.jpg

83_centering_ring.jpg

I too have been accused of being heavy-handed with the epoxy. This is the other side of the centering ring.

Eh, it's on the inside, what's it hurt? :)

I tend to end up with "bonus epoxy" on inside rings, too.

-Kevin

Eh, it's on the inside, what's it hurt? :)

I tend to end up with "bonus epoxy" on inside rings, too.

-Kevin

I'm very messy with internal epoxy. It causes problems sometimes, but that's why God invented the Dremel!

Looking good there Jim! I'm not even sayin' nuthin' about the 54mm.

According to Open Rocket, I'll need 14oz of nose weight in the X-Plane, and 24oz in my upcoming mystery project. I was going to get some lead shot, but none of the local gun shops sell it. So I got 4-1/2 lbs of BB's.

Your friendly local auto repair facility has a bucket full of old lead wheel weights just waiting to become something useful. You can then melt them, get rid of all the gunk that floats to the top and cast the exact shape you need. You may have to separate iron weights from lead--environmental preferences mean that some junk lead isn't lead at all.

Looking forward to the complete article!

Ari.

Back