Flis TRES "El Grande" style

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
After building and flying the FlisKit 18mm version of the TRES ,and a great flier it is ,spectacular actually(thanks Jim )I noticed he has a 24mm version......well...

I bought the kit last summer and got it built and painted just as the weather turned sour ,so no flights as yet ,but I can hardly wait !

I did a few mods ,but nothing major, just the usual (kevlat to MMT ,epoxy and wood glue ,brass 1/4" lugs ,added a bulkhead where it seperates thus it will come down in two parts and nylon thin mill chutes)

I painted it in Rustoleum 2x real orange enamel (great paint ,highly rated by myself) and used Monokote for the details.Basswood for the fins,as stock is not included with the kit ,Balsa would be the lumber of choice ,but Balsa gives me Gastritis when I work with it.

The finished kit stands about 62 inches tall ,so this thing looks pretty impressive.

GREAT kit Jim ,this one is a real beauty :handshake:

Plenty of pics to show you all.

Take care

Paul t

phpj9vjJBAM.jpg

phpowWL4OAM.jpg

phpSRRRrEAM.jpg

Here`s the rest of my build pictures ,hope you like them.

Thanks for looking.

Paul T

phpbmKkZUAM.jpg

phpJ4K1OcAM.jpg

phps3Ea9jAM.jpg

phpvXnPOlAM.jpg

phpXTBDCIAM.jpg

Simply Stunning!

Thankyou sir ! It is a cool looking rocket (you may thank Jim for that) and can hardly wait to fly it ,but I have to wait until spring.The 18mm version is a real crowd pleaser and great flier, so this one should not disappoint on 3 Ds or 3 Es (Es most likely)

Have a good day !

Paul T

Thankyou sir ! It is a cool looking rocket (you may thank Jim for that) and can hardly wait to fly it ,but I have to wait until spring.The 18mm version is a real crowd pleaser and great flier, so this one should not disappoint on 3 Ds or 3 Es (Es most likely)

Have a good day !

Paul T

It's definately on my short list now. Please, by all means possible, keep that beauty away from E12's!

It's definately on my short list now. Please, by all means possible, keep that beauty away from E12's!

Yes my friend ,I`ve read the posts on those motors ,gets me kind of nervous ! Maybe by late spring they`ll have the problem fixed ,but till then E9s will do.

PS- BTW ,the reason I used Monokote ? I got lazy, and didn`t feel like masking and doing a multi-colored paint scheme ,but let`s not tell anybody :wink:

Paul T

PS- BTW ,the reason I used Monokote ? I got lazy, and didn`t feel like masking and doing a multi-colored paint scheme ,but let`s not tell anybody :wink:

As mentioned by others-an awesome looking rocket. The orange just pops out at you. Well done. You may have secretly mentioned the use of Monokote on your awesome build. Do you have to use heat to apply? I have seen some Monokote at the hobby store but no-one there really knows how to apply it or use it. Any tips you have that you would like to share would be appreciated.

Another fantastic build. How high will it go on 3 Es? Also, nice gun collection.

Another fantastic build. How high will it go on 3 Es? Also, nice gun collection.

Thankyou mister ! On 3 Es I`m not sure ,but I don`t think too high ,which is OK with me.I`ll slap in an Altimeter 1 in her when I launch it .It should go a few hundred feet at least ,but I`ll have to weight it to get a better idea.

Rockets ,gun powder ,fireworks and guns....lots of guns.....it`s all good :clap:

Take care

Paul T

Last edited:

As mentioned by others-an awesome looking rocket. The orange just pops out at you. Well done. You may have secretly mentioned the use of Monokote on your awesome build. Do you have to use heat to apply? I have seen some Monokote at the hobby store but no-one there really knows how to apply it or use it. Any tips you have that you would like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks chum ! I chose orange for good visibility and truth be told, I love using Monokote for detailing.

Now to answer your question ,there are two types of Monokote ,one is self adhesive ,with a peel off backing ,the other is a thin film that is applied using an iron to heat it up and shring it (they sell a special heating iron for this task)

I use the self adhesive backed Monokote ,very easy to use vinyl product.You just cut the shape or strip you want ,peel off the back and apply.....but once this stuff is on ,it can grab very aggresively.You really need a good smooth ,glossy finish for it to apply and look best, much like waterslide decals or Mark`s Stickershock vinyl.

The Monokote we are talking about comes in many colors (silver and gold also) as well as checkerboard patterns ,is 5" wide and 36" long.Any good R/C shop will have it or online.

HTH

Cheers

Paul t

Now to answer your question ,there are two types of Monokote ,one is self adhesive ,with a peel off backing ,the other is a thin film that is applied using an iron to heat it up and shring it (they sell a special heating iron for this task)

I use the self adhesive backed Monokote ,very easy to use vinyl product.You just cut the shape or strip you want ,peel off the back and apply.....but once this stuff is on ,it can grab very aggresively.You really need a good smooth ,glossy finish for it to apply and look best, much like waterslide decals or Mark`s Stickershock vinyl.

The Monokote we are talking about comes in many colors (silver and gold also) as well as checkerboard patterns ,is 5" wide and 36" long.Any good R/C shop will have it or online.

Paul t

Thank for the education. Smooth and glossy is what I will start with. It appears my local hobby store is just selling the "heat stuff". I didn't know there was adhesive backed Monokote. I'll have to do some checking where I can get some locally.

Thank for the education. Smooth and glossy is what I will start with. It appears my local hobby store is just selling the "heat stuff". I didn't know there was adhesive backed Monokote. I'll have to do some checking where I can get some locally.

You are most welcome ! I have never used the heat shrink type ,although i have seen it at the local R/C shops ,but the self sticking type is a godsend to us rocketeers.

Regards

Paul t

Looks sweet. That's another must have. I would have to agree with the basswood its not all that much harder to work with and you get better lines when all is said and done. And it is way easier to finish IMHO.

+1 on the Monokote heat shrink or otherwise I have used both. It's good stuff to work with I used it all the time up until I found Mr. Hayes at Stickershock. Guess I need to give that Rustolium another try maybe I just got a bad can.

Hey I saw in the back ground an IRIS, have you posted any pictures of that? I have a Binder Design 4" 54mm i'm currently working on.

TA

Looks great! I have never got motivated enough to start mine yet. I think the CTI E22 24 mm one grain smoky sam would give an awsome flight.

First, FANTASTIC job on that 24mm Tres! I love the color and unique markings :). Yet another justification for not forcing a particular look on a builder :)

Now, a tip about MonoKote....

I much prefer the iron on stuff. In fact, that's what we include as hinge material in the Rose-A-Roc :)

You can apply it with a regular iron set on low (you don't want it so hot that it melts the material). I would recommend buying a MonoKote iron for several reasons: 1) it is designed to operate at the right temp, so no worries; 2) it is shaped/contoured to get into tight areas, like the fin fillet area; 3) it is Teflon coated so you don't have to worry about it sticking and grabbing the material.

It really is wonderful material and can give a great finish!

Looks sweet. That's another must have. I would have to agree with the basswood its not all that much harder to work with and you get better lines when all is said and done. And it is way easier to finish IMHO.

+1 on the Monokote heat shrink or otherwise I have used both. It's good stuff to work with I used it all the time up until I found Mr. Hayes at Stickershock. Guess I need to give that Rustolium another try maybe I just got a bad can.

Hey I saw in the back ground an IRIS, have you posted any pictures of that? I have a Binder Design 4" 54mm i'm currently working on.

TA

You know ,I never did post pictures of my IRIS ,not sure why :confused2:

It`s another one of my scratch builds ,4" BT ,ply fins ,metal fincan parts and other details.

Yes indeedy, I love Basswood and swap it out for Balsa when feasible except for the smaller LP stuff ,and then I still do.

Paul T

Paul T

Looks great! I have never got motivated enough to start mine yet. I think the CTI E22 24 mm one grain smoky sam would give an awsome flight.

Heck ,I built this SOB almost as soon as it came in the mail ,as the smaller version was a HOOT to fly ! Now I need to wait until spring to fly this baby ,going to be a long wait !

Perhaps a winter build over the holidays is in store for you ?

Regards

Paul T

First, FANTASTIC job on that 24mm Tres! I love the color and unique markings :). Yet another justification for not forcing a particular look on a builder :)

Now, a tip about MonoKote....

I much prefer the iron on stuff. In fact, that's what we include as hinge material in the Rose-A-Roc :)

You can apply it with a regular iron set on low (you don't want it so hot that it melts the material). I would recommend buying a MonoKote iron for several reasons: 1) it is designed to operate at the right temp, so no worries; 2) it is shaped/contoured to get into tight areas, like the fin fillet area; 3) it is Teflon coated so you don't have to worry about it sticking and grabbing the material.

It really is wonderful material and can give a great finish!

This kit is no doubt a real "head turner" off or on the pad......well I`ll have to wait for the pad part unfortunately :(

Mr.Flis ,you make nice rockets :handshake:

Sincerely

Paul t

PS-can hardly wait to start the Night Whisper and Jouneyman

Very nice Paul, it looks good in orange......looks like a (2nd pic) Marlin, can't tell though.

Jim

Very nice Paul, it looks good in orange......looks like a (2nd pic) Marlin, can't tell though.

Jim

Thanks.I don`t have too many orange rockets (just my Polecat Jayhawk and upscale Photon Disruptor) so this was a good candidate ,a chance to try the new Rustoleum 2x paint that says it also bonds to plastic ,very nice paint to work with.

No Estes E12s to be flown in this rocket, don`t want it to blow up !

2nd pic ,Marlin in .35 Rem

Cheers

Paul t

If you're trying to find it in stores and online, the adhesive backed version is called "Trim Monokote". I know BMS carries it in a few colors.
-Ken

The orange and black & white checkerboard paint scheme warms the old school heart! Makes it easier for the ole eyes to see. You can always use another orange rocket.

Indeed ,that was one of the main reasons I used that paint scheme ,should be easier for these old "bulbs" to spot ,but having kids at the launches also helps !

But yes ,orange rockets look great ,cause how many white ones can a fellow have afterall.

Cheers

Paul t

If you're trying to find it in stores and online, the adhesive backed version is called "Trim Monokote". I know BMS carries it in a few colors.
-Ken

I am very fortunate to have a good many hobbyshops in my city ,all within 15-20 minutes drive ,and out of those ,3 sell a full range of trim Monokote (you can tell that by looking at my vast supply hanging from the back of the old hobbyroom door. I should probably get stronger hinges before it falls off LOL)

Regards

Paul T

Last edited:
Nice work Paul. Love the checkerboard trim! I did *not* know that a parts pack was available for the 24mm, I've gotta get out more...

Nice work Paul. Love the checkerboard trim! I did *not* know that a parts pack was available for the 24mm, I've gotta get out more...

Thanks Paul ,

I did not know that Flis made a bigger version either ,but after I posted last summer about the original ,and how I thought it was a great flying rocket, Jim Flis said he had a larger kit available ,in 24mm.

I jumped at it and bought it ,all you need to do is supply your own wood for the fins and voila.....the coolest rocket in town !

Once built ,this thing is pretty big ,and demands attention at the launch pad. I have not flown it yet ,but if it`s like the smaller 18mm ,It`s going to turn heads ,that I can guarantee my friend !

Take care now

Paul T

Wow, how did I miss this?
Another stunning build. Love the orange, not to bright, not to orange!

Give thanks to Jim Flis !

I tell you my friend ,this thing looks great, just standing there LOL

Thanks for the good words T-Rex ,but brother ,I want to fly this thing soon ,but it will be awhile.

You take care now !

Paul t

Back